Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

jbox dot ca and debian 8

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
Thorolf

jbox dot ca and debian 8

#1 Post by Thorolf »

I just registered and everything seems to be fine with the forums. I know this is not a proper way to review someone but this Canadian just gets me hateful. I purchased Debian 8 on disk from his site jbox dot ca (Stormfront Ventures). 22 days ago, and no disk has arrived. I have open a dispute for a refund but his intent over the last 22 days is that of a malicious attacker Microsoft always talks about. Very few and vague in replies. The thing that gets me is I found him on debian.org site listed as a distributor for getting Debian on disk. I really hope the Debian GNU user community is condoning actions like this. I know about the risk of online purchasing but lets not shelter.

GarryRicketson

Re: jbox dot ca and debian 8

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

The more appropriate place , would be to report the site here:
https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/www.jbox.ca
That way if and when others want to check and see if the site is good, they will see you had problems.
This does not make sense,
I really hope the Debian GNU user community is condoning actions like this. I know about the risk of online purchasing but lets not shelter.
Why would you hope the Debian GNU user community is condoning this, ? "but lets not shelter."
By not submitting it to mywot, you too are "sheltering", you should submit a report, I can't do that for you, because to be honest I have had no experience with the site.
Looking at this, at mywot,
Welcome to jbox.ca. Stormfront Ventures is a provider of computer hardware, software and networking sales, service and support. We specialize in Open Source Solutions. We are also a provider of high performance lubricants, fuel conditioners and cleaners.
"also a provider of high performance lubricants...." That seem to be a odd combination, with Linux,Debian, and open source software,...
Personally I would have never trusted it, not placed a order. You should deffinately submit all the details to "mywot.com"
EDITED: Here:https://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/ It says quite clearly you should
send them a e-mail:
If you are having trouble with a vendor (e.g. you paid for installation media but never received them), you can inform us by sending mail to debian-www@lists.debian.org.
Have you done that ? if not, why not ?
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2015-05-26 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

Thorolf

#3 Post by Thorolf »

GarryRicketson wrote:The more appropriate place , would be to report the site here:
https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/www.jbox.ca
I really should have looked up a rating for jbox ca. But I did not think it was a so hard to put a DVD in the post plus debian.org has them listed.
GarryRicketson wrote: Why would you hope the Debian GNU user community is condoning this, ? "but lets not shelter."
Should have been "not condoning"
GarryRicketson wrote:By not submitting it to mywot, you too are "sheltering", you should submit a report, I can't do that for you, because to be honest I have had no experience with the site.
Did not know of mywot.
GarryRicketson wrote:The site reeks of a "scam" site, ...personally I would have never trusted it, not placed a order.
So you agree debian.org is condoning.
GarryRicketson wrote:https://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/ It says quite clearly you should send them a e-mail:
Missed that.
GarryRicketson wrote:Have you done that ? if not, why not ?
Thanks for the email address but what the hell Garry Ricketson, "if not why not"! True colors showing.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Thorolf wrote:So you agree debian.org is condoning.
I think "listing" would be a more accurate term -- Debian is relying upon users such as yourself to feedback malpractice so that dodgy vendors can be removed from the list.
Thorolf wrote:
GarryRicketson wrote:Have you done that ? if not, why not ?
Thanks for the email address but what the hell Garry Ricketson, "if not why not"! True colors showing.
Take note of Garry's location -- although he communicates very clearly, I think English is not his first language.

I will take the liberty of speaking on his behalf and assure you that no offence was intended by his question.
deadbang

Thorolf

#5 Post by Thorolf »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I will take the liberty of speaking on his behalf and assure you that no offence was intended by his question.
understood!

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

Take note of Garry's location -- although he communicates very clearly, I think English is not his first language

Thanks,
and no offense was intended, but I apologize if I did offend.

I just wondered, since
https://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/ has the e-mail address, and they ask to send them a e-mail if there is a problem with a vender, So I asked Why not ?, perhaps there is reason, IE: the OP did not yet know that,or I just noticed:
Missed that
, anyway, no offense intended, but a e-mail should be sent to them.
I too, often miss part of something, or sometimes interpret it wrong.
I really should have looked up a rating for jbox ca. But I did not think it was a so hard to put a DVD in the post plus debian.org has them listed.
Actually there is no rating, yet , if you submit a report , yours will be the first one.
If other people do use mywot, and they check, they will see someone has had trouble, when there is no rating, it is easy to think the site is ok.
So you agree debian.org is condoning.
No, of course not, but I think maybe this is the first time this has happened and they did not know the vendor is like that, which is why they should be notified, I don't know if they (at debian.org) look at this forum, probabley, maybe, but a e-mail to them would be a more sure way.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

You could also send a letter of complaint to your local branch of the High Performance Lubricant Association :D
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Thorolf

#8 Post by Thorolf »

Well debian-www@lists.debian.org is not the place to report vendors. I got the vendor list from the debian.org site.

https://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/

You would think debian would not list scam sites.

GarryRicketson

#9 Post by GarryRicketson »

Hmm, I don't know why they would have that here then:

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Thorolf wrote:You would think debian would not list scam sites.
Their resources are limited and the whole point of Debian is that it is a *community* effort.

As you are now part of said community, how about contributing some feedback for the benefit of fellow Debian users?
deadbang

GarryRicketson

#11 Post by GarryRicketson »

Thorolf wrote:Well debian-www@lists.debian.org is not the place to report vendors. I got the vendor list from the debian.org site.

https://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/

Well, I did contact them, and got a reply, they said,yes that is the correct place and asked me for more details, or "to be more specific" so I refered them to this thread.
I have also noticed the OP still has not submitted anything to mywot.com
I am sure, once this is cleared up, IF the vendor is a "scam", it will be removed from the listing.
head on a stick : As you are now part of said community, how about contributing some feedback for the benefit of fellow Debian users?
I am starting to wonder what the vendor would say, to all this ?? So far the OP seems to have no interest in submitting this to mywot, nor contacting the mailing list, these are things he/she should be doing, I am not about to go submitting a report to mywot, when I have not actually had any experience with that site. I have done about all I can here, suggesting to the OP what they should do, if Thorolf does not want to report the incident to the correct places, that is up to him, but that would also lead me to believe there really is no "claim" or grounds for reporting it.n other words this thread is just gossip, or attempt to troll.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2015-05-26 15:24, edited 3 times in total.

dasein

#12 Post by dasein »

GarryRicketson wrote:In other words this thread is just gossip, or attempt to troll.
+1

(Miscategorized, too. Belongs in Offtopic)

@OP This is a user forum, not the Better Business Bureau. If you want to resolve the issue, then you're in the wrong place. If you just want to whine to the wrong audience, well, you've done that now and can get on with the rest of your life.

GarryRicketson

#13 Post by GarryRicketson »

Just a update, I also sent a e-mail to the cd vender, and he replied, since it is a private e-mail, I don't think I should post a copy, But basicly, he says he did send the cd, the OP had choosen to use the most economical shipping method, thus there is not tracking number, the vender said, the shipping is reliable, but slow. He also did respond to e-mails from the OP , he says,
I assured him it had been shipped and tried to explain, but
he got pretty belligerent.
Also he will be sending copies of the receipts,shipping etc. to the folks at debian.org , in order to show proof he did ship it. Seems like a very reasonable person to communicate with.
I am sure the cd will arrive, but the OP needs to be more patient. My own experience:
I ordered some medicine from a company in Canada, and also choose the most economical shipping method, and there was no tracking number, my order took 2 months to arrive, but it did arrive.
I hope when the OP does recieve the shipment, he has the courtesy to let us know, and mark this thread solved.
Dasein: @OP This is a user forum, not the Better Business Bureau. If you want to resolve the issue, then you're in the wrong place. If you just want to whine to the wrong audience, well, you've done that now and can get on with the rest of your life.
I agree with that,
Just to calrify,..I am now convinced the vendor is OK, there is no scam, it is just a matter of the shipping being slow.
Statements like this :
Thorolf wrote: You would think debian would not list scam sites.
are flat out lies, NO , Debian does not list scam sites,.. It appears to me that is what the OP is trying to do, convince people that debian is responsible, and in some way listing "scam sites",.. ????

Thorolf

#14 Post by Thorolf »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:As you are now part of said community, how about contributing some feedback for the benefit of fellow Debian users?
This is not contributing?? I am not a coder or part of any project that debian uses. I am an end user, who contributes with a purchase, and feedback. So this is contributing.

@Garry Ricketson
Yes I got a second reply from debian-www@lists.debian.org stating the first replier was way off so that email address is the correct list.
mywot is useless. debian has them listed as a vendor. why would I go all over the internet to get something done.

@both of you guys

What is a matter with you 2. I have a couple of post and you 2 cluttered the thread with nonsense. So you guys contribute with clutter.

Buy the way I download testing/stretch/xfce small download and it all I needed for my laptop.

Still no disk from Stormfront Ventures, and PayPal is helping. 23 days since ordered.

pabs3

#16 Post by pabs3 »

Alexandre Delanoë from Debian is one of the people responsible for maintaining the CD vendors list, he contacted Stormfront Ventures, CCing me on the email as I replied to the thread on debian-www. We got a reply from the vendor stating that he sent the shipment and he attached scans of the shipping details as well as the receipt from Canada Post. I'm no expert on Canadian postal receipts but it looked legit to me. He also mentioned that other folks have questioned the mailing time over the years. I've suggested that he send the info/receipts to the OP and make the downsides of choosing a slower (up to 4 weeks), untrackable but cheaper delivery method more obvious during the order process. I would guess that the OP will receive the shipment within the week.
bye, pabs

Thorolf

#17 Post by Thorolf »

Obviously it is now known http://www.jbox.ca is not a fictitious website. It is a sad fact the maintainers of Debian o/s and debian.org had to be involved with what a simple little communication from the seller would have averted. Now there are option for fast delivery then defaulting to a standard shipping method. If the seller would have provided proof not just assuring me the item shipped. Would have avoided this dispute. But still one month to ship to any place on the globe is so third world.

Fifteen years ago I started uses Linux. I even had a user name on this forum. Back then you had to be a "Linux Professional". To be a end user was as you all remember a newbie. Treated as such and had to use Ubuntu. Linux o/s especially Debian is moving from the third world and running with the dogs as it would be. The system has evolved into an easy to load and use operating system for end users. Security is excellent and the community is committed to updated software.

Free open source operating system community forum. A place you can get support and ganged up on by the forums crow. Going to off topic now come join the murder. come fly in black.

Thorolf

#18 Post by Thorolf »

Disk arrived today. Stormfront Ventures ( http://www.jbox.ca ) puts out a nice product. Plastic case with Debian Sleeve art work. The disk was not just light scribed. Had Branded Debian label Disk. Very nice manufacturing. They also offer the single install disk not the live or 34 disk set. At least I thinks its just install have not loaded it yet.

Sale rep not to enthused on customer relations, and watch out for shipping option or he will have one of those Canadian Mounties walk it over to you. Then blame you for choosing the slows shipping rate.