Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Board "vacation"

Code of conduct, suggestions, and information on forums.debian.net.
Ganneff
Debian Developer, Site Admin

Board "vacation"

#1 Post by Ganneff »

Hi,

its back - obviously, or you couldn't read this post.

That wasn't planned - we got caught in an anti-DDOS handling null-routing the IP of the forum server. :(

The server itself was (and is) all fine, no problems there - it just had no connectivity anymore. And it took a while
to reach the correct people to get it back online.

Ganneff

v&n

Re: Board "vacation"

#2 Post by v&n »

One of the happiest moments for me since last week. :)

It would be nice if forum members could be given an alternative spot to interact (with admins, as well as with each-other) in case of long forum down moments like this one. Like some IRC channel or an alternative forum. Anything relevant started coming up in my search results (both google & duckduckgo) after 3 days since forum was down.

No big deal though, just a humble suggestion (or rather wish-list ;) ).

Ganneff

#3 Post by Ganneff »

v&n wrote:One of the happiest moments for me since last week. :)

It would be nice if forum members could be given an alternative spot to interact (with admins, as well as with each-other) in case of long forum down moments like this one. Like some IRC channel or an alternative forum. Anything relevant started coming up in my search results (both google & duckduckgo) after 3 days since forum was down.

No big deal though, just a humble suggestion (or rather wish-list ;) ).
You mean like the Debian Forums IRC?

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=47049

irc.oftc.net #debian-forums

v&n

#4 Post by v&n »

Ganneff wrote:You mean like the Debian Forums IRC?

Yup! And "Oops!"

I did try that, but on freenode, since the support channel (#debian) is on freenode.
(just checked and turns out that another #debian channel is also on OFTC! :| )

I had also joined #debianforums (on freenode) hoping it was a possible official spot since there was a 'chanserv' there which also announced this forums' link in its welcome message. But I happened to be the only human there all day long. :(

Ganneff

#5 Post by Ganneff »

v&n wrote:
Ganneff wrote:You mean like the Debian Forums IRC?

Yup! And "Oops!"

I did try that, but on freenode, since the support channel (#debian) is on freenode.
(just checked and turns out that another #debian channel is also on OFTC! :| )

I had also joined #debianforums (on freenode) hoping it was a possible official spot since there was a 'chanserv' there which also announced this forums' link in its welcome message. But I happened to be the only human there all day long. :(
No, the support channel is on irc.oftc.net, not freenode. Freenode is just a leftover one from ages past.
(Well, t be precise: The "official" channel is on the net where irc.debian.org points to. It does to OFTC. So its there...)

Ganneff

edbarx

#6 Post by edbarx »

Thanks for restoring the forum's connectivity.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

v&n

#7 Post by v&n »

Ganneff wrote:(Well, t be precise: The "official" channel is on the net where irc.debian.org points to. It does to OFTC. So its there...)
Thanks for pointing that out. Now I understand better.

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

Hoping "the board" enjoyed it's vacation, any way, I am glad to see it is back
thanks

i M@N

#9 Post by i M@N »

v&n wrote:One of the happiest moments for me since last week. :)
Hopefully i had no issue during this time!
This forum is so helpful, so many questions already have an answer here.

Keep up the good work admins & users ...
1 x Intel(R) Core i7 2600K CPU 3.4GHz Debian sid = roxX !
1 x MSi Wind U100 Debian sid = roxX !!
5 x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 3 CPU 0.80GHz Debian sid = roxX !!!
Read The F***in' Manual or die tryin' ! http://wiki.debian.org

kalle123

#10 Post by kalle123 »

+1 :D

Good to have it back!!!!

HITMAN

#11 Post by HITMAN »

After checking several times, and finding the site unavailable, I went to http://www.debian.org looking for news and found none. I went to the the official IRC but found no activity. So, totally guessing, thought maybe the forum went to http://www.debianuserforums.org. I joined thinking this may where the forum had moved. Now I have membership at two sites reading "Debian User Forums" (default bookmark titles). Happy this site is back up!
HITman
My goal is to be a man of Honor, Integrity and Truthfulness.

Head_on_a_Stick

#12 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I am very happy :)

I had serious withdrawal...
deadbang

Nili

#13 Post by Nili »

I'm glad that is again up! :D
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

TRex2003

#14 Post by TRex2003 »

I expected some email traffic about a "known outage", but there was none:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/20 ... 00622.html

GarryRicketson

#15 Post by GarryRicketson »

I had signed up for the mailing list, too, hoping to see something, Never did post a question, boy, it sure is a busy list, over night my e-mail was filled with 100+ new messages,none even mentioned it, so I quickly asked to removed from the list, that is why I generally do not like to use mailing lists, I see by the date on yours, it was after I requested the removal.

quixote

#16 Post by quixote »

Glad you're back!

I kept checking on the freenode chat, because I didn't know any better. And I asked, three times, what was going on, but that was ignored. Is there some reason why nobody would help a newb get to irc.oftc.net, given that's the right place? Grump, grump, grump.

Anyway, glad it was just a glitch and not some NSA/GooApplSoft megahackattack. Which was of course the conclusion I immediately jumped to :? .

Randicus

#17 Post by Randicus »

Ganneff wrote:The server itself was (and is) all fine, no problems there ... And it took a while to reach the correct people to get it back online.
Wow. It took a few days to contact the people managing the board to inform them that their board was down.
I am speechless. And it takes a lot to leave a big-mouth like me speechless.

I could not resist logging in to post a comment. Wow.

Ganneff

#18 Post by Ganneff »

Randicus wrote:
Ganneff wrote:The server itself was (and is) all fine, no problems there ... And it took a while to reach the correct people to get it back online.
Wow. It took a few days to contact the people managing the board to inform them that their board was down.
I am speechless. And it takes a lot to leave a big-mouth like me speechless.

I could not resist logging in to post a comment. Wow.
No, the people managing the board knew it pretty fast.

But this is on sponsored hosting. And since the last time we had any reason to talk to the sponsor, multiple things changed...
People got replaced, other machines (for serial access) relocated (seldom you test serial access frequently if nothing breaks), general contact addresses changed, ....

It all together took for a bit of hunt to find people to talk to. Such a thing is easier with paid hosting (just yell at the general support address...), but as said, this is sponsored hosting.

Randicus

#19 Post by Randicus »

Then I stand corrected regarding contacting absent "staff." I apologise to them for that. But I have a feeling the problem would have been mitigated if the powers-that-be had a little more hands-on approach to the board's management.

v&n

#20 Post by v&n »

Randicus wrote:But I have a feeling the problem would have been mitigated if the powers-that-be had a little more hands-on approach to the board's management.
I remember when ubuntu forums hosted on mighty canonical servers was down for 10 days straight (or was it 14?) after a security breach. They said the canonical "IS team" worked on it "day & night", after which it was brought back with a tinfoil hat security called "SSO login" that is causing nothing but login and nickname problems to the users ever since, allegedly twice as much for the forum admins. Despite raising multiple 'tickets' to resolve login issues that don't exist on any other *buntu website, the said "IS team" never bothered to provide a real solution with the lame excuse that "it is necessary for enhanced security"..... (as if the buggy SSO login is some kind of "absolute" security they've discovered... :roll: I guess they luckily forgot about the "disconnected computer, locked in a steel vault with keys destroyed, thrown 20,000 feet deep in the ocean").

Compared to that experience, this one was just a minor hiccup. :)