Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Would you have switched to use Debian or any other .... ?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
edbarx

Would you have switched to use Debian or any other .... ?

#1 Post by edbarx »

Would you have switched to use Debian or any other distribution if you were to decide right now with the current stability, quality and dependability of MS Window 7, 8 and 10?

I think, my switch from MS Windows was partly due to the fact that at the time of my switch MS Windows was plagued with insecurity and scumware. By scumware I mean, viruses, malware, etc. Open source projects exist for MS Windows as well, this would have meant, the probability of switching would have been far lower. But I am a tinkerer to a limited extent and that also adds to the motivation of using something that allows tinkering.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Randicus

Re: Would you have switched to use Debian or any other ....

#2 Post by Randicus »

Impossible to answer. I stopped using Windows, because the applications I used were crap that could not do the jobs I wanted to do. Having not used Windows since the days of XP, I have no way of knowing how much Windows' performance has improved or deteriorated, or is unchanged with a new label. The question is too hypothetical for me to answer.

somebodyelse

#3 Post by somebodyelse »

I always hear all these wonderful things about Windows but whenever I use it (have used 7 and 8 and 10 for 2 minutes), I always find it stiff, clunky, illogical etc. Plus 8, 8.1 and 10 are ugly (and 7 is boring/grey-suitey). I like the look of Windows 8 in general but the way it colours windows is an affront to good taste. And as soon as you step off the path, you realise that you're all alone in the wilderness.

Their office suite on the other hand is very good and that's what I think Microsoft should concentrate on.

Randicus

#4 Post by Randicus »

somebodyelse wrote:Their office suite on the other hand is very good and that's what I think Microsoft should concentrate on.
Interesting. The inability of Word to handle files with more than a couple hundred pages is what finally caused me to stop tolerating Windows.

thanatos_incarnate

#5 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

My then reason was that Windows 98 wasn't supporting USB sticks properly and I couldn't, but also wouldn't upgrade to XP (too slow PC, but I also never liked the UX/UI, etc.) Now, Vista was utter crap. Win 7 was a decent product as far as Windows goes. However, it still wasn't as slick as Linux. Even distros we consider bloated, such as Ubuntu, install and perform quicker than any Windows. I had the "honour" of setting up a Win 8.1 machine recently... It was an OEM machine with Win on it. Even though it already had Windows on its hard drive, it took literally hours to set the thing up. It then took us hours to remove all the crapware that came from Acer as well. Then, it took us even more time to set everything up the way the person liked it. If I compare that to a Debian installation (which in the Linux world takes too long compared to live CD installs) I would have saved 6 hours or so, had the person gone Linux at the time.

So, yes, I would have again converted to Linux given the bad track record of MS implementing something as trivial as installation. I mean, OK, that they won't necessarily copy from Linux, I get that. But that their engineers haven't at least tried Mac OS X in the last 10 years or so and seen what a smooth installation looks like... Or is it a conspiracy, so that IT personell can charge you for setups?

cpoakes

#6 Post by cpoakes »

Yes. First off, I use recycled hardware and treat computers as durable equipment rather than consumables. Performance matters on older equipment. My Lenovo T61 (C2D) laptop is now ancient at 8 years. While originally responsive, it is now painfully slow to boot and run Win 7 + Avast + Firefox (the partition still gets booted at least once a year). It remains quick to boot and very usable with Debian/Openbox/Tint2/Firefox (an evolution from CrunchBang). I have been running linux exclusively for 3 years, and dual booting systems for more than a decade before that.

Second, I am also a tinkerer with a desktop composed of both very conventional and very unconventional elements and features. I have a custom python hot-corner interface (with hot edges too); I have customized and contributed to tint2; and I often use a highly modified version of HTML webkit_app_bar (xdaks at deviantart) to prototype and experiment with alternative interface elements inspired by other interface designs. (I know I could learn LUA and use conky, but I am already proficient with HTML).

I find Win7 highly usable and recommend it to friends with the caveats: expect slow performance on older hardware and don't ask me how to use it or fix it because I haven't used Windows as a daily driver for more than 3 years. But if they want to try linux, I am glad to shepherd them through Mint Cinnamon/MATE, LXLE, or Xubuntu.

@edbarx: as in Ed Bark, TVWW writer?

tezzeret

#7 Post by tezzeret »

I sort of switched recently, still need to do some things om my main computer to get Debian fully like the way I want it but its mostly lack of time that holds me back.

My laptop is dual-booting Debian and windows 8 as windows 8 (which came pre-installed) was slow and I Hate how it looks. After some trouble getting it to run with a gui Debian does what I want it to do and does it job even better then windows.

I installed Debian on my desktop as windows got slower and I wanted to see how Debian runs on the hardware of that machine. Again the drivers where a bit annoying to got working but they seem to work fine now.
I have not done enough to really compare it with the performance of windows as there are some other things I want to do with it first. What I do know is that the boot time significantly went down, after it loaded grub you might as well call it instant. I did not expect that the first time and it kind of scared the crap out of me :lol:

Randicus

#8 Post by Randicus »

I know what you mean. I occasionally use the computers at work (in classrooms) to show photographs. I believe they have Windows 7. They take a long time to boot. I make sure I am early so Windows is finished booting in time for class. :roll:

dasein

#9 Post by dasein »

edbarx wrote:Would you have switched to use Debian or any other distribution...
I'm not sure if I'm eligible to answer this question, because I didn't come to Linux from Windows.

That said, my answer is no. If OS/2 (and its accompanying native apps) were still under active development, I'd still be using it.

aplistir

#10 Post by aplistir »

edbarx wrote:Would you have switched to use Debian or any other distribution if you were to decide right now with the current stability, quality and dependability of MS Window 7, 8 and 10?.
Current quality of windows :lol:
I have both windows 7 and 8
And every time I boot to them they annoy the hell out of me. The most annoying thing is the windows update. Whenever I boot windows the update wants to install all the updates since I last used (5-12 months) windows. And usually it takes about one hour... And it also needs to reboot a few times.
Cant understand why anyone can stand that.

And dont even mention all the viruses etc.

TonyVanDam

#11 Post by TonyVanDam »

Years ago, I made the switch to Linux in general, primary because...

1. I knew in advance that Microsoft was going to stop supporting XP.
&
2. After previewing Vista, I hated it.

At the end of the day, getting off the Microsoft Plantation was the best decision I've ever done. No regrets whatsoever. :mrgreen:

keithpeter

#12 Post by keithpeter »

edbarx wrote:Would you have switched to use Debian or any other distribution if you were to decide right now with the current stability, quality and dependability of MS Window 7, 8 and 10?
Yes.

I started using Linux at home (Ubuntu 5.04 and quickly 5.10) because it looked fun and had all the software I needed and would run fine on a P4 with half a gig of RAM, and because I quite liked the software-libre discussions and viewpoint. So I moved *to* Linux rather than *away* from Windows. I actually used an Apple iBook for a few years.

I'll use Windows if someone is paying me to and my two employers seem to be able to keep the PCs I use on their premises running fairly well. I have not had any issues with moving data between home and work (I just save LibreOffice documents in MS Office 1998-2003 file formats as opposed to the more recent XML based formats).

Bulkley

#13 Post by Bulkley »

I came to Linux because 1.) I was angry that every little upgrade made my software obsolete and 2.) Windows 95 buried DOS which I understood better than the GUI desktop.

Would I switch today? Well, having had to fix a Windows 8 and 8.1 the answer is still yes. The newer Windows come pre-loaded with commercial crap and browser hijackers and are very difficult to clean up and keep clean. If I install anything from the Debian repository I can trust it to be clean. While Windows itself may be clean, almost everything you add has its hooks into the user.

unixlearn

#14 Post by unixlearn »

I currently dual boot windows 8.1 and debian jessie. There are a few drivers and specific programs or games that i use windows for. As for most desktop and web needs I try to stay on Debian. Unlike alot of people, I switched to Debian from FreeBSD (not Windows). I got tired of all the troubleshooting of every single little thing. Updating was also a hassle since it leans toward installing from source. Debian was the perfect marriage of unix and windows for me. Most things are easy. I spend more time enjoying my apps than troubleshooting them.

Crewp

#15 Post by Crewp »

My answer is yes, the ONLY reason I keep a copy of Windows on my dual booted laptop is to update my Garmin GPS. It is the only thing I have not found a work around for.

kedaha

#16 Post by kedaha »

I haven't used any versions after Windows 95 but my answer is that I most definitely would've switched. My primary reason for switching from Windows to Debian was because I understood the ideals free software. In fact I would prefer to use Debian 4 "Etch" now rather than the latest version of Windows whatever its stabiliy, quality or dependability. It was an ethical choice.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Head_on_a_Stick

#17 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I was going to post that I can't afford the £80 for Windows but I have recently got rid of Windows 10 and that was free...

I got p***ed off with the updates that took all afternoon (no exaggeration) and the lack of transparency and user control.
deadbang

tomazzi

#18 Post by tomazzi »

edbarx wrote:Would you have switched to use Debian or any other distribution if you were to decide right now with the current stability, quality and dependability of MS Window 7, 8 and 10?
But of course, because right now, the current stability and quality of MS Window 7, 8 and 10 still leaves a lot to be desired.
More attractive UI doesn't make the OS better - it just makes it ... well, more attractive... - and that's not what I'm going to pay for.

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus

Nili

#19 Post by Nili »

Simply not, My desktop has created a reliable relationship with Debian. I will never ruin the love of this couple.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

spacex

#20 Post by spacex »

Yes, definitively. I left Windows because of the attempt to create one OS for all kinds of devices. I'm fine using touch on my android-phone, but I have absolutely no interest of touch for my laptop or my stationary gaming/multimedia-rig. Actually, I would be very pissed if someone actually touched my screens...

That aside, W8.1 was slightly better than W8, as far as not having to see that ugly start-screen of lego-tiles quite as often, and then there is W10 that half way solves the mess. But I still don't like it. It's ugly, and I'm not as free to make it gorgeous as I am in Linux...

Stability and ease of use means nothing to me. There's nothing I dislike more than a pc and OS where everything just works. What to do with that? Facebook or twitter? Nope, we like a challenge, just as long as it isn't to much of a challenge..

But then again, I'm not average. I'm into computers for the sake of it, not because I want to use the computer for facebook/twitter or to pay my bills. I obviously do that stuff too, but that's not why I'm into computers. I could use pretty much any OS if it only was a matter of social networking and paying bills. Doesn't matter. Anything would do.

Leaving Windows completely isn't possible at this point, as my favourite-games only can be played in windows, so I can live with W8.1 on 1 partition just for that purpose. But it's only used for gaming. Nothing else. Even though GIMP is limited compared to Photoshop, I do try to manage with GIMP whenever possible. I do have Photoshop installed, but I hate to have to resort to it, so if not absolutely necessary, I don't touch Windows at all.

If and when I can play TrackMania natively in Linux, then Windows is left for good. But until then, I'll keep one install alive. But it bugs me that I have to.