Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Mouse selection dissapearing

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
brusers

Mouse selection dissapearing

#1 Post by brusers »

Hello, I'm having a problem that I can't find a solution for, and I'm just curious if anyone else has witnessed this.

I have Debian 8/Cinnamon.
If I select some text with the mouse, for example in one text editor something that I want to copy, and then go to select text in another text editor, the first editor selected text deselects.
However it is not consistent.
For example if I select text in a Thunderbird email, then select some text on a website(Firefox), both stay selected just fine.
But if I select text in Terminator terminal, then select text in Sublime text editor, the Terminator text becomes unselected.

I think it might be a Gnome thing, but I'm not sure how or where to begin debugging this.
I can't seem to find anything relevant searching around, and this is driving me a bit crazy.
I hope someone has crossed this before, thanks beforehand.

Marcel

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Mouse selection dissapearing

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

brusers

Re: Mouse selection dissapearing

#3 Post by brusers »

Thanks for the web page, I understand now.. though a bit of an explanation along side it would have been nice.
I had no idea the selection(highlighting only) was part of the clipboard functionality.
I installed autocutsel and everything now works fine.
Another decent writeup on the whole clipboard thing, just in case someone else get's curious. http://www.jwz.org/doc/x-cut-and-paste.html

Thanks again!

Marcel