Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No desktop environment in CD 1 ?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
swirler

No desktop environment in CD 1 ?

#1 Post by swirler »

I'm sure you will laugh at me, however I do have to ask : is there a desktop environment at all in Jessie installation CD 1 , I mean the one I've downloaded here http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.1.0/amd64/iso-cd/, and to be precise this one http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.1 ... 4-CD-1.iso .

I've installed it in a virtualbox thinking that I'd see a Gnome desktop (assuming it is the default one and seeing that nothing was specified in the CD name), but there is no graphical environment at all, it boots to a console: dpkg -l finds no desktop components and there is no default display manager in /etc/X11 (of course startx only gets me another terminal, probably xterm) .
It should not be a virtualbox issue because the LXDE version there runs OK, I'm just a bit puzzled that no desktop environment at all is apparently installed even if I'm positive that I've checked that option during the installation: I've installed this CD without a network connection, but nevertheless, if the installer says "install a desktop environment" that's what I'm expecting to find...

I don't remember such an issue with Wheezy, in fact I only used CD 1 and there was indeed a Gnome desktop after installation - it's not a big deal, I'd just like to know if this is normal.

For future reference, does one need to use DVD 1 in order to have a desktop environment, or maybe alternatively just start from a minimal desktop such as LXDE or XCFE ?

kalle123

Re: No desktop environment in CD 1 ?

#2 Post by kalle123 »

On page http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.1.0/amd64/iso-cd/ it says
The default desktop installed using debian-something-CD-1 is Gnome.
so Gnome should be there. Or someone is lying :wink:

golinux

#3 Post by golinux »

I can't imagine that Gnome (that bloated pig) would fit on a CD. Try the DVD,
May the FORK be with you!

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

The netinst CD here is a small CD image that contains just the core Debian installer code and a small core set of text-mode programs (known as "standard" in Debian). To install a desktop or other common software, you'll also need either an Internet connection or some other Debian CD/DVD images.
It also says this, when I looked at :
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.1.0/amd64/iso-cd/
and you say:
I've installed this CD without a network connection,
It looks like you either need to have a internet connection, or some other Debian CD/DVD images.
As well, reading instructions, and info carefully will help too.
I think what you need, is this:
from: http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cur ... so-hybrid/
debian-live-8.1.0-i386-gnome-desktop.iso 2015-06-06 17:48 1.4G

Obviously it will not fit on a CD.
If you can connect to internet, you should be able to get and install the packages
now that you have a "base" intsalled,..the key being read and follow directions,documentation, and manuals carefully,..make sure you download the correct
packages, or ISO,..

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

kalle123 wrote:On page http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.1.0/amd64/iso-cd/ it says
The default desktop installed using debian-something-CD-1 is Gnome.
so Gnome should be there. Or someone is lying :wink:
No one is lying, it does say, the default desktop that :
There are lots of files here! Do I need all of them?
In most cases it is not necessary to download and use all of these images to be able to install Debian on your computer. Debian comes with a massive set of software packages, hence why it takes so many disks for a complete set. Most typical users only need a small subset of those software packages.

Initially, you will only need to download and use the first image of a set (labelled as debian-something-1 to be able to start the Debian installer and set up Debian on your computer. If there are more images available here (labelled debian-something-2, debian-something-3, etc.), they contain the extra packages that can be installed on a Debian system (as mentioned previously). They will not be bootable and are entirely optional. If you have a fast Internet connection, you're most likely better off installing any desired extra packages directly from the Debian mirrors on the Internet instead of by using these extra images.

There are different versions of CD #1 here to allow for a choice of default desktop on installation, e.g. debian-something-kde-CD-1 contains the core pieces of the KDE desktop and will default to installing that desktop when used. The default desktop installed using debian-something-CD-1 is Gnome.

The netinst CD here is a small CD image that contains just the core Debian installer code and a small core set of text-mode programs (known as "standard" in Debian). To install a desktop or other common software, you'll also need either an Internet connection or some other Debian CD/DVD images.

The update files here are extra convenience files for people updating from previous versions of Debian. If you are installing fresh, you may safely ignore them.
Taken out of context, yes this, almost sounds like Gnome is included
There are different versions of CD #1 here to allow for a choice of default desktop on installation, e.g. debian-something-kde-CD-1 contains the core pieces of the KDE desktop and will default to installing that desktop when used. The default desktop installed using debian-something-CD-1 is Gnome
But when the entire document is read, it is clear , what this means, is when the install is being done, if there is a internet connection, it will install gnome desk top by default,
If one wants a different desktop, they would want to use a different CD 1 image, that would install the other desktop, as chosen.
by swirler » 2015-08-12 05:38
I'm sure you will laugh at me,...............
No, not laughing, to be honest, I had to read that a few times, before I realized, what it
is, not sure if English is your "language", but if one was using a translater, it might be even more confusing.
All though it is fairly clear, like I said it took me a few times going over it, I can see how at a glance it would be misleading.

swirler

#6 Post by swirler »

GarryRicketson wrote:
I haven't used the netinst CD (I mean, how dumb would have been to pick exactly the netinstall CD planning to install without an active connection) , I've used what I suppose is meant to be the "default" installation CD, namely CD 1 - which is 627M in size, as opposed to the netinstall CD which is just 247M .

That however -in retrospect- gives a clue, because if LXDE and XCFE CDs are 647M, CD 1 (supposedly containing the Gnome desktop) can't be just 627M (as also pointed out above) .
To install a desktop or other common software, you'll also need either an Internet connection or some other Debian CD/DVD images.
That line to me seems to refer to the netinstall CD, stating that in case you've used this for installation, you will then need either an Internet connection or some other Debian CD/DVD images to install a desktop environment.

This has been all the more confusing for me, because as far as I can remember, I've used CD 1 to install Wheezy and I had a working Gnome desktop at the end of the installation: I would assume I haven't used an internet connection a the time, but of course I can't say for sure now.

As I've said before, all in all I wouldn't consider this an huge deal, I just wanted to know if there was a mistake on my part in picking the right CD or some possible malfunctioning when installing in a virtualbox.

sam.e

#7 Post by sam.e »

swirler, you will likely be able to get what you want with the images at http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cur ... so-hybrid/. The Gnome image is 1.3 GB so it will take a DVD. These are live images that have the installer included. Unfortunately, after Wheezy's time the images got so large that a lot of distros moved to DVD images.

swirler

#8 Post by swirler »

Thanks, that may be exactly what I had in mind.

I'll admit that:

•I'm still getting lost between all the available downloads

•for some reason I've never considered live CDS as a viable installation medium (maybe because I tried a Debian 5 live CD back in the days and it wasn't very refined)

On the plus side, I've now installed a display manager (lightdm) and desktop environment (Mate) from a console, and it works.

sam.e

#9 Post by sam.e »

swirler wrote:Thanks, that may be exactly what I had in mind.
You're welcome; glad to help.
I'll admit that:
•I'm still getting lost between all the available downloads
Not to worry; it just takes a little time some exposure.
•for some reason I've never considered live CDS as a viable installation medium (maybe because I tried a Debian 5 live CD back in the days and it wasn't very refined)
I've had similar experiences so your thoughts are understandable.
On the plus side, I've now installed a display manager (lightdm) and desktop environment (Mate) from a console, and it works.
Good Deal! No better way to build confidence and understanding.

andre@home

#10 Post by andre@home »

Good job done... !
PS
I used
debian-live-8.1.0-amd64-mate-desktop
for setting up a persistant Mate desktop (on USB stick), the iso was 1 GB, indeed small iso's you only can find at the small Linux special editions.
Some are Debian based and they generally fit on a CD, but you might miss options you now have....
An overview:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweig ... stribution

shmerl

#11 Post by shmerl »

Just use the DVD image. It gives a choice of DEs. No need to use CD images unless you have some very specific reason.

crimsonmane

#12 Post by crimsonmane »

You must select "Yes" to the Mirrors question.

You probably noticed the installer asked if you want to install a graphical desktop environment, and you probably marked it in the affirmative, but you also noticed there was no option to select which environment to install. If you had selected 'Yes' to the Mirrors question there would have been a list of environments.

I've emailed them and asked if they would either clarify this on the downloads page, or perhaps put a notice in the installer. I'm guessing it only affects the CD version.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

phenest

#14 Post by phenest »

golinux wrote:I can't imagine that Gnome (that bloated pig) would fit on a CD. Try the DVD,
GarryRicketson wrote:I think what you need, is this:
from: http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cur ... so-hybrid/
debian-live-8.1.0-i386-gnome-desktop.iso 2015-06-06 17:48 1.4G

Obviously it will not fit on a CD.
Yes it does fit on CD1. I always use CD1 to install Gnome. During installation it asks to install the "Debian desktop environment" (Gnome) which is checked by default. And you don't need a network mirror.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D