Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Attachments, How to post a screen shot and use code boxes

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
GarryRicketson

Attachments, How to post a screen shot and use code boxes

#1 Post by GarryRicketson »

So many times I see this type of comment :
Been trying to upload a screenshot of it but the site won't let me.
You can not upload a image directly to the forum. You must have the image stored
somewhere, "photbucket", "image shack", etc.
Copy and paste these key words

Code: Select all

image storage sites, free 
into https://startpage.com/ There are many, just take your pick.
After you have uploaded the image to a site, if you have a web host, and site you can use
that too, any way after the image is uploaded to somewhere that it can be accessed, you simply
paste the url into the "image" tags.

[img] url for the image goes here [/img] 
Like this:
It is also important that you size the image, before you upload it, or it is to big to fit in
the forum windows. A good size is about 650 x 500, images over 800 X 800 do not display well.
It is good to just post a small thumb nail, that links to the full size image.
The same for the "code boxes" and it makes it a lot easier for us to read any output or error
messages, if you use them.
Thanks
Edited:
After the image has been uploaded to the "storage site", when you view the image, you can use the "right" mouse button, click it and select "copy image url", you then paste that into the image tags. On some of these "storage sites" they exist , mostly to promote the spam advertising they have, so they make it some what difficult to get the correct "image url", they try to make it where people have to link to their site, and view the advertisements as well. But that is kind of another topic.Usually, by right clicking the mouse, and select "copy image url", will work to get the correct url.
=========================
For text files, and code or scripts, the same applies, you can not "attach files".
You can use this :
You can also use : http://paste.debian.net/
For code and scripts, then post a link to file here.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2018-08-29 02:01, edited 6 times in total.

millpond

Re: How to post a screen shot

#2 Post by millpond »

Most ISPs like Comcast offer free website hosting space, some quite considerable.

Most forum software will not even permit admins to directly post pics. In fact, in MyBB I cannot even find addons that will permit it (aside from attachments).
Its based on the assumption that hotlinks use less storage space and bandwidth.

mzsade

#3 Post by mzsade »

Sir, i have followed your instructions to the letter and have posted my Desktop in the appropriate forum. I sincerely apologize for my earlier obnoxious behaviour and turning my nose up at the general expression of joy on having a desktop configured to one's satisfaction.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008

thanatos_incarnate

#4 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

To be quite honest, the first example is also a bit obnoxious, as it is rather big on smaller resolutions (yes, even on 1366x768). I'd suggest using a more automated service like imgur.com, where you have an automatic thumbnail creation. The medium thumbnail they offer is quite good IMHO. No need to resize yourself. Like this:

mzsade

#5 Post by mzsade »

Imgur's not bad but it requires you to login and i am loath to do that nowadays except on Linux forums and Twitter. As i'm a long-time user of Linux Mint, i'm sure they wouldn't mind me uploading an image now and then without such spartan restraints. :D

http://forums.linuxmint.com/download/fi ... &mode=view

thanatos_incarnate

#6 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

mzsade wrote:Imgur's not bad but it requires you to login and i am loath to do that nowadays except on Linux forums and Twitter. As i'm a long-time user of Linux Mint, i'm sure they wouldn't mind me uploading an image now and then without such spartan restraints. :D

http://forums.linuxmint.com/download/fi ... &mode=view
It doesn't require you to log in. Please research and try out before posting FUD.

mzsade

#7 Post by mzsade »

I did try and post an image first, didn't get any links that time, maybe because i'd checked the box marked Edit, maybe because the upload was interrupted, whatever..and don't get so hot under the collar over it, it's not something that even if mistakenly taken as true will mess up someone's life or computer, or deprive that person of an experience of a lifetime..unless you have some sort of a personal stake in Imgur. :roll:

My bad tho', the automatic thumbnail settings are very convenient.

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

As well as images, using the "code boxes" is difficult for some people to grasp. Maybe this
will help.
Up here, where it says "code", just click that :

Then you get these little boxes,

[code]place your code in them
please 
[/code]
It makes it much easier for people to read your code,scripts and output.

alderaan

Re: How to post a screen shot and use code boxes

#9 Post by alderaan »

Too often I try to find something in the forum's older posts and the images posted can't be displayed: dead links, usually because the image hosting service has stopped working. What (free) image hosting service would you recommend to these forums' users?

GarryRicketson

#10 Post by GarryRicketson »

That really is not the topic of this thread, but anyway,
Free image hosting services
There are many, and since the thread is not about promoting any in particular, I am not going in to that, and hope no one else does, you could start a new topic on that if you want.
Personally, none of them are very good, most are full of advertising and spam. I use my own hosting/website, for mine.

alderaan

#11 Post by alderaan »

This is a how-to, so I believe that there should be at least a warning that the uploaded picture might not be there after a while. Older threads are unusable and the code tags are fine.

Sorry for my interruption but I thought it was crucial...

thanatos_incarnate

#12 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

mzsade wrote:and don't get so hot under the collar over it, it's not something that even if mistakenly taken as true will mess up someone's life or computer, or deprive that person of an experience of a lifetime..unless you have some sort of a personal stake in Imgur. :roll:
Sorry, this board has made me really agitated when it comes to FUD. No personal stake in imgur whatsoever, just an irrational personal hatred towards FUD. :lol:

GarryRicketson

#13 Post by GarryRicketson »

alderaan wrote:This is a how-to, so I believe that there should be at least a warning that the uploaded picture might not be there after a while. Older threads are unusable and the code tags are fine.

Sorry for my interruption but I thought it was crucial...
No problem, any way, I used to use "photo bucket"
http://photobucket.com/
they have been around for a long time.
The reason I don't want to start recommending any particular "image hosting" services
is , it makes and a "open invitation" to spam, there are many "image hosting" services,
and not all of them are what they appear, to be. They do "spam" and look for opportunities to post promotional links, in hopes to get more people to use them, then
when the unknowing users put the images on the storage site, they (the site owners), embed hidden code into the images, basicly like a viruses or mal-ware. However that leads to a entirely different topic, so I am not going to go into that any further here. If someone wants to start a topic in the "off topic" forum, that is fine, I am no expert, only "scratch" the surface, in relation to how much I know on that.
so I believe that there should be at least a warning that the uploaded picture might not be there after a while. Older threads are unusable

Sometimes the person that posted the image, also removes them from the site they had been using as well. I never thought about a "warning" would be necessary, common sense , would apply. If a person puts a image on "whatever" image hosting site, then later that site closes, then it is their responsibility to , find another, and edit their posts, to update the urls.
Images take up quite a bit of space, and on a forum as active as this one, it would be expensive to keep enough "band width" to store all the images and files attached.

Many, perhaps most users here are using imgur.com , so that should speak for itself.
What I would suggest, is use: http://mywot.com and check any "image hosting service" that you are considering, see if there are reports of problems, abuse, etc.
for example : https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/imgur.com
I

GarryRicketson

#14 Post by GarryRicketson »

Something I forgot to mention, but sometimes getting the correct url, to place into the image tags is confusing.

After the image has been uploaded to the "storage site", when you view the image, you can use the "right" mouse button, click it and select "copy image url", you then paste that into the image tags. On some of these "storage sites" they exist , mostly to promote the spam advertising they have, so they make it some what difficult to get the correct "image url", they try to make it where people have to link to their site, and view the advertisements as well. But that is kind of another topic.Usually, by right clicking the mouse, and select "copy image url", will work to get the correct url.

GarryRicketson

Re: Attachments, How to post a screen shot and use code boxe

#15 Post by GarryRicketson »

I hate "youtube" and videos, but that is besides the point,
I decided to make this little "GIF" for a "tutorial",...
Using this:

byzanz-record -d 240 --delay=5 -x 0 -y 0 -w 600 -h 400 code-boxes.gif

You can "click" the image for a full size view
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-09-20 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

#16 Post by GarryRicketson »

You can also use : http://paste.debian.net/
For code and scripts, then post a link to your post here.

singleton125

#17 Post by singleton125 »

You must have the image stored somewhere, "photbucket", "image shack", etc. ]
Most of them are advs. filled and sometimes awfully acceptable, like image shack. Newertheless, I'll do such a procedure being the forum rule. Thank you

GarryRicketson

#18 Post by GarryRicketson »

I realize that, a lot or most of the image storage sites have
to many advertisements, but that is how they get the money to
maintain the sites, ,...also please try to avoid cross posting, and
double posting, it causes confusion,

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 30#p627230

GarryRicketson

#19 Post by GarryRicketson »

Recently, some one asked about How to make the thumbnail, using
"tinypic.com", rather then de-rail the topic, I am posting here:
I don't know, you would need to ask "tinypic" :
How to make a thmbnail on tinypic.com
===============================

So anyway, it can be done,

[url=http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=vpl1za&s=9#.WgClNP9MHs0][img]http://i67.tinypic.com/24415xd.gif[/img][/url] 

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#20 Post by None1975 »

Personally, i use postimage.org service. https://postimages.org/ it allows, after uploading a screenshot, to select thumbnail for forums.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github