Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Need help to connect to VPN

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
iommoi

Need help to connect to VPN

#1 Post by iommoi »

Hi!

I need your help! I want to connect to internet through my VPN (server installed and configured on my NAS) but i can't connect to it.

I tested openvpn and pptp but no one seem to work. Maybe there was config error or network issue (i'm on vacation) but i don't where it goes wrong. Can you help me configure my client, step by step, so that i can make it work?

My PC is under debian wheezy with openbox and i use wicd (can't use the NM applet for vpn).

Thanks in advance!

GarryRicketson

Re: Need help to connect to VPN

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Can you help me configure my client, step by step, so that i can make it work?
So let me see if I understand this correctly. You want somebody to write a step by step manual, on "How to congfigure your client " Special, just for you ?
Ok, no problem, but it will take me a week or 2, I'll get started right now though.
step 1. First, let's make sure your VPN can and does connect to internet,..then we will go onto the NAS part.
Copy and paste these key words:
How to connect to internet through my VPN on a Debian system into your favorite search engine. This links to 1 manual I found, all ready written, there are many more, also listed. These may help you, in the mean time
while I work on writing a special manual , customized, just for your special needs. If that is what you are looking for,..if I am misunderstanding the question, please let me know, so I don't go spending the next 2 weeks, working on a step by step manual for you.
Oh and also :
Maybe there was config error or network issue

Maybe that is the problem, it is hard to say since I can not see your configuration files,..
but don't worry, I will get my "crystal ball", and my wife is really good at finding out secrets, and "mysterious" unknown factors. We'll get started on this right away.

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

Here is another one I found, this may honestly be of some help to you.
http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/tutorials/vp ... k-anywhere
I am working on it, doing some searches for you and everything. Hope you appreciate it.
------------------
Edited:
I tested openvpn and pptp but no one seem to work. Maybe there was config error or network issue (i'm on vacation) but i don't where it goes wrong.
This has a step by step, on configuring your pptp,..
http://www.howtogeek.com/51237/setting- ... on-debian/
If nothing else it may help you understand which configuration files we would need to see.
This also may be of some help to you:
http://superuser.com/questions/955628/h ... dress-only
Even if they are no help to you, they are use full to me, to write the "step by step" manual you need. But I can see it is going to be long, maybe several pages.

iommoi

#4 Post by iommoi »

ok first question :
the first thing is to install and configure vpn on the server. As i said, i use my nas synology and i have installed the "VPN server" app. I have activated the openvpn protocol and configured privileges (as the syno's wiki said) but i don't have option for certificates. I can just export configuration files and i get a ca.crt file but no key or cert.

Does i need to acces to my syno to create them or key and cert files are not necessary?

PS : I don't know how to debug my config to find the error so i was thinking it was better to do a step by step installation so you can help me find my errors. It's not that i don't want to search. As i said, i already tested during hour openvpn and pptp but only get config error or time out message without knowing were was my mistake.

If it bother you, you can just ignore my post. No need to go search your cristalball....

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

Ok, also I am sorry, I forgot, but Welcome to the forum,
ok first question :
the first thing is to install and configure vpn on the server
This link has a pretty good step by step, guide on installing the vpn,

https://wiki.debian.org/OpenVPN

On this
As i said, i use my nas synology and i have installed the "VPN server" app. but i don't have option for certificates. I can just export configuration files and i get a ca.crt file but no key or cert.
I do not know, this is some software I am not familiar with, maybe someone
on this forum,
http://forum.synology.com/enu/
can help you with that ?
Does i need to acces to my syno to create them or key and cert files are not necessary?
Probably you do need those keys if you want to use that software.
I do not know that you really need to use that software to set up your server, I don't think you do.
We need you to be more clear on this:
I don't know how to debug my config
Which "config", there are many .conf files involved, it would help if you can show us, what the "config" is,..the file name, and the contents.
This is a example of what I mean:
This is part of the config file, for my server:
File name: nginix.conf

Code: Select all

# Basic Settings
        ##
         sendfile on;
        tcp_nopush on;
        tcp_nodelay on;
        keepalive_timeout 65;
        types_hash_max_size 2048;
        # server_tokens off;
        # server_names_hash_bucket_size 64;
        # server_name_in_redirect off;
         include /etc/nginx/mime.types;
        default_type application/octet-stream;

Do you know how to get that infotmation ? I do not know of anyway to "debug" the "config" file, or even what it is,. But, if you show us what file or what the "config" is, some one may be able to explain what is wrong with the "config"
Ok well it is very late for me, and I am too tired,
If it bother you, you can just ignore my post. No need to go search your cristalball.
No problem, I do hope some one that knows more about this comes along, though this will be hard for me, I will have to do a lot of searches, to get good answers, I understand, it is kind of a complex problem and maybe also it is hard because English is not your native language ?
On the "crystal ball" :mrgreen: ok,... well that was just kind of a joke, ... I don't have one, wish I did though. :D
I think maybe some one with better experience then me will maybe also help you, we just need to be patient , in the meantime, we can try to find some answers, and see how far we can get.

iommoi

#6 Post by iommoi »

Yes i'm French ^^
I try to not use site like google trad or so, so it may be hard to understand what i want. I'm sorry for that and i do my best to get better.

When i was talking about config, i was meaning all the files that must be modified. Some of the tuto i have followed were contradicted...

As i can't access to my Syno with ssh from internet, then i must wait to go back home. I will continue this WE.

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

Ok,
Well lets see,
on this:
You mentioned you looked at the synology wiki:
On this:
but i don't have option for certificates. I can just export configuration files and i get a ca.crt file but no key or cert.
Did you see this part ?
http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... rtificates
At first you should generate a temporary work folder. For example /usr/local/ssl/ and cd to this location.
The example they show,.is a example, I think this means you have to make the directory,
or a "temporary work folder", then you cd (change directory) so that you are in that directory,
Example:

Code: Select all

$ cd /usr/local/ssl/
bash: cd: /usr/local/ssl/: No such file or directory
#I see there is no such directory, so I do the following:
garry@debian:~$ cd /
garry@debian:/$ cd usr
garry@debian:/usr$ cd local
garry@debian:/usr/local$ ls
bin  etc  games  include  lib  man  sbin  share  src
garry@debian:/usr/local$ mkdir ssl
mkdir: cannot create directory `ssl': Permission denied
#here I can not create a directory, "permisson denied", so I use "su"
garry@debian:/usr/local$ su 
Password: 
root@debian:/usr/local# mkdir ssl
root@debian:/usr/local# ls
bin  etc  games  include  lib  man  sbin  share  src  ssl
#Now you can see I have the directory "ssl" so I change into that directory, so I am #working in the ssl directory, at this point it is empty.
root@debian:/usr/local# cd ssl
root@debian:/usr/local/ssl# 
[code]
 While you are still in the ssl directory, follow the rest of the instruction in the tutorial,..carefully, to the letter.  At one point it says [quote] It is important that it matches your DNS-Name.  [/quote] Do you know your "DNS-name", ? You will need to have that,ready. If you do not know your DNS-name, 
Try this: [code]cat /etc/resolv.conf
That should show you. Usually it is not a "name" as you would expect, but a IP, names only appear if you have assigned a name to the DNS server.

you need to see this:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/87468/h ... ip-in-wicd
Or some more info, on WICD, from one of the links I all ready posted.
For now, this is about all I can handle. Maybe later we can see more,

popspops

#8 Post by popspops »

Do you know how to get that infotmation ? I do not know of anyway to "debug" the "config" file, or even what it is,. But, if you show us what file or what the "config" is, some one may be able to explain what is wrong with the "config"

This also may be of some help to all
http://superuser.com/questions/955628/h ... dress-only
Even if they are no help to you, they are use full to me, to write the "step by step" manual you need. But I can see it is going to be long, maybe several pages.
Or this :
https://citrull.us/q/what-is-the-connec ... -firewalls