Just discovered Debian doesn't sync to NTP by default

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Just discovered Debian doesn't sync to NTP by default

Postby No_windows » 2015-09-27 22:35

Debian doesn't sync itself with an NTP server. I've recently been playing around with Virtualbox, and I noticed that the Debian clock was faster than my BunsenLabs clock. After checking my phone, it agreed with the BunsenLabs clock, so I figured that meant it was the Debian clock that was off. After some research I found that Debian is not setup to update the clock by default. I installed NTP and now it basically matches the Bunsen clock.....off by a split second.

I find it kind of odd that Debian isn't setup to do this "out of the box", given that time is pretty basic, and important. I use the clock on my computer, just to know what time it is, but then you've got logs on servers and such.
No_windows

Re: Just discovered Debian doesn't sync to NTP by default

Postby fogpipe » 2015-09-27 23:21

Yeah i find it odd that alot of distros arent set up to do this. Maybe it has something to do with locale or location.
Anyway including this in /etc/rc.local works
Code: Select all
ntpdate 0.pool.ntp.org& >/dev/null
fogpipe

Re: Just discovered Debian doesn't sync to NTP by default

Postby No_windows » 2015-09-28 01:07

fogpipe wrote:Yeah i find it odd that alot of distros arent set up to do this. Maybe it has something to do with locale or location.
Anyway including this in /etc/rc.local works
Code: Select all
ntpdate 0.pool.ntp.org& >/dev/null

From my reading earlier today it's better to use NTP, rather than ntpdate. Ntpdate is better reserved to machines that don't have a constant internet connection. I read a reason, or two, but don't know enough to really grasp it, However. I believe NTP is a service/daemon.
No_windows

Return to General Discussion