Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Just discovered Debian doesn't sync to NTP by default

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
No_windows

Just discovered Debian doesn't sync to NTP by default

#1 Post by No_windows »

Debian doesn't sync itself with an NTP server. I've recently been playing around with Virtualbox, and I noticed that the Debian clock was faster than my BunsenLabs clock. After checking my phone, it agreed with the BunsenLabs clock, so I figured that meant it was the Debian clock that was off. After some research I found that Debian is not setup to update the clock by default. I installed NTP and now it basically matches the Bunsen clock.....off by a split second.

I find it kind of odd that Debian isn't setup to do this "out of the box", given that time is pretty basic, and important. I use the clock on my computer, just to know what time it is, but then you've got logs on servers and such.

fogpipe

Re: Just discovered Debian doesn't sync to NTP by default

#2 Post by fogpipe »

Yeah i find it odd that alot of distros arent set up to do this. Maybe it has something to do with locale or location.
Anyway including this in /etc/rc.local works

Code: Select all

ntpdate 0.pool.ntp.org& >/dev/null

No_windows

Re: Just discovered Debian doesn't sync to NTP by default

#3 Post by No_windows »

fogpipe wrote:Yeah i find it odd that alot of distros arent set up to do this. Maybe it has something to do with locale or location.
Anyway including this in /etc/rc.local works

Code: Select all

ntpdate 0.pool.ntp.org& >/dev/null
From my reading earlier today it's better to use NTP, rather than ntpdate. Ntpdate is better reserved to machines that don't have a constant internet connection. I read a reason, or two, but don't know enough to really grasp it, However. I believe NTP is a service/daemon.