Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Bash icedax (cdda2wav)

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
marwal

Bash icedax (cdda2wav)

#1 Post by marwal »

I'm writing a BASH-script that rips a CD and at the same time start several instances of encoders that use lame to encode WAV to MP3.

It works like a charm. One script is in charge of checking for WAV-files and keep a maximum of three 'encoders' working.

My problem is they start encoding WAV-files that isn't completely ripped yet. I tried using lsof hoping it would indicate when icedax was done. But it reports 'in use' by icedax until the ripping is completely done (all tracks).

Is there a smart of of determining when icedax is done writing to a WAV-file of must I resort to ripping tracks one-at-a-time?

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

Re: Bash icedax (cdda2wav)

#2 Post by mzilikazi »

marwal wrote:I'm writing a BASH-script that rips a CD and at the same time start several instances of encoders that use lame to encode WAV to MP3.
Have a look at abcde A Better CD Encoder (apt-gettable) as it does exactly what you describe and more. Rips and entire disc to wav and re-encodes to flac, ogg, mp3 or whatever you tell it to. CDDB is also supported.
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

#3 Post by Guest »

Thank you for the tip (i installed it and like it).

But it doesn't beat the gratification of making up your own problems and then trying to solve them. And i solved this problem. As often is, it was just a matter of thinking 'around' the problem.

If icedax produces audio_01.wav, audio_02.wav (and so forth), i didn't have to determine when audio_01.wav was done...
All i had to do was to see that audio_02.wav existed and that would mean that audio_01.wav must be done.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#4 Post by mzilikazi »

Anonymous wrote: But it doesn't beat the gratification of making up your own problems and then trying to solve them.
Agreed. :)
If you have the interest here is a problem that has no real solution (yet) for Linux.

DVD audio ripping.

Oh sure you can do it easily w/ mplayer and even resample as you rip but to do it in a nice fashion where you can not only select which chapters (tracks) you want to rip but also edit the file name and create tags. A nice GUI wouldn't be bad either. I have been tinkering a bit w/ zenity for this and there are some pretty good examples to follow like audio-convert-mod

Already I have a working solution as posted here but this method simply dumps all chapters to individual files. DVD Scan uses tcprobe to get the track info. Not sure how lsdvd does it but I do know that it fails on some of the protected discs like the Sony ACROSS discs.

Well I did not mean to hijack your thread! :)
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G