Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

G'day, MATE!

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
spacex

Re: G'day, MATE!

#21 Post by spacex »

keithpeter wrote: KDE looks better *to me* as a type 2 ish kind of user because I actually rather like the semantic desktop. Others might not.
I agree with almost everything you are saying, but just because someone is type 2, it doesn't mean that they don't reflect over the usage of resources, and KDE's problem is that many of the default apps in KDE are much heavier than they need to be. If KDE went a little lighter, it would get a lot more users. But that opinion may be colored by the fact that I'm a cross between type 2 and 3. Even though I also do type 1 now and then. I want a KDE light, that would be the perfect compromise for me :)

Hmm, perhaps I should make it. Well, first step is to try it again. It's been a few years since the last visit. :)

spacex

#22 Post by spacex »

Arthos wrote:Do I have good hardware or have I just been incredibly lucky somehow?

Jessie 8.2 Stable w/gnome3 on a Lenovo x200 128GB SSD and 8GB ram Intel Core 2 Duo P8600
Yes, this is good hardware in linux terms. 8 GB RAM is overkill for anything linux. But when you get below 2 GB RAM, then it really starts to matter, and then you see the difference. With your hardware, anything should be fast unless it's badly written or configured.

Arthos

#23 Post by Arthos »

spacex wrote:
Arthos wrote:Do I have good hardware or have I just been incredibly lucky somehow?

Jessie 8.2 Stable w/gnome3 on a Lenovo x200 128GB SSD and 8GB ram Intel Core 2 Duo P8600
Yes, this is good hardware in linux terms. 8 GB RAM is overkill for anything linux. But when you get below 2 GB RAM, then it really starts to matter, and then you see the difference. With your hardware, anything should be fast unless it's badly written or configured.
Again that is an issue that the user should consider, if your hardware is bad and you know it is why bother putting these other DE's on there that seemingly you know are bloated. Putting KDE/Gnome3 on a 1GB ram netbook with an intel atom CPU is a little like trying to tow an 18 wheeler with a '63 Mini Cooper and then blaming the 18 wheeler for being 'heavy' by that logic.
root is my account - http://www.garyshood.com/root/

Wheelerof4te

#24 Post by Wheelerof4te »

A lot of people became GNU/Linux users just because Windows XP wasn't supported anymore and they couldn't spare 500 or more dollars/euros/whatever just to buy a new PC. Also, many people in developing countries have basic needs that come first, example: food, water, roof over their head.

OTOH, there are people that are buying new computer every few years. We call them gamers. They waste hundreds of $ just to be able to play SNSG (Shiny new shitty games). Microsoft is not helping either. Newer OS's require gigabytes of RAM just to RUN normally. Add few apps in the background, bloated Web Browser with Java+Flash/HTML5, not to mention Photoshop and you need at least 4 GB RAM, dual-core CPU, decent graphics card and some swap. That's without playing SNSG.

Arthos

#25 Post by Arthos »

Wheelerof4te wrote:A lot of people became GNU/Linux users just because Windows XP wasn't supported anymore and they couldn't spare 500 or more dollars/euros/whatever just to buy a new PC. Also, many people in developing countries have basic needs that come first, example: food, water, roof over their head.

OTOH, there are people that are buying new computer every few years. We call them gamers. They waste hundreds of $ just to be able to play SNSG (Shiny new shitty games). Microsoft is not helping either. Newer OS's require gigabytes of RAM just to RUN normally. Add few apps in the background, bloated Web Browser with Java+Flash/HTML5, not to mention Photoshop and you need at least 4 GB RAM, dual-core CPU, decent graphics card and some swap. That's without playing SNSG.
Was XP ever supported ? :P It was notoriously buggy and virus prone. A fantastic era to have a computer repair service.

You do know its generally cheaper to build a PC than buy a new one right? Your post makes it seem like every PC gamer goes and buys alienware crap.

Even gamers comprehend the fact about how Crysis 3 will not play well on insufficient hardware.

But how many gamers cry to Crytek and EA about it?

Yet the majority of these Desktop Environment posts (anywhere...no exceptions) there is a staggeringly high number of people who report all the issues of running on terrible hardware and blaming developers.
root is my account - http://www.garyshood.com/root/

spacex

#26 Post by spacex »

Arthos wrote: Again that is an issue that the user should consider, if your hardware is bad and you know it is why bother putting these other DE's on there that seemingly you know are bloated. Putting KDE/Gnome3 on a 1GB ram netbook with an intel atom CPU is a little like trying to tow an 18 wheeler with a '63 Mini Cooper and then blaming the 18 wheeler for being 'heavy' by that logic.
The problem is that many users are unskilled and going for whatever is the default in Debian, and then they get stuck with Gnome3 on a low-spec netbook.

マーズ maazu

#27 Post by マーズ maazu »

Good day! My notebook HP Pavilion 15 with 16 Gbyte RAM and running Jessie 8.1 using KDE. :D

spacex

#28 Post by spacex »

マーズ maazu wrote:Good day! My notebook HP Pavilion 15 with 16 Gbyte RAM and running Jessie 8.1 using KDE. :D
Just installed KDE. Been a few years since the last time I tried it. But boy do I have issues with it. First, I'm affected by this bug:
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=297020

Only with a difference. To me it's not only a annoying message, launching kate with sudo fails with that message, and I can't seem to find a fix anywhere, and that bug is old as hell, without ever being done anything with... But that's just one minor thing... The worst part is the noice, it's the only DE and install I've ever tried where my fan runs constantly. Even in idle, as cpu-usage is above 60%, as opposed to 1% which I'm used to. I have just installed it, so I haven't gotten around to try and fix stuff yet, but boy, it surely made a very bad first impression. It looks better than Gnome, but performs way worse...

Well well, time will tell if I get it to behave better. If not, then KDE is blacklisted for at least 5 years before I try it again.