Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Can't compile kernel(gcc no plugins)

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Rigamortus

Can't compile kernel(gcc no plugins)

#1 Post by Rigamortus »

I'm trying to compile grsecurity-3.0-3.14.12-201407170638 with linux kernel 3.14.12.
Patching was easy, makeconfig let me do my thing with grsec, but this last command to actually compile is what went wrong:

make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version "grsec1.0" kernel_image

Which threw me this

Code: Select all

make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/linux-3.14.12'
make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
Makefile:647: *** Your gcc installation does not support plugins.  If the necessary headers for plugin support are missing, they should be installed.  On Debian, apt-get install gcc-<ver>-plugin-dev.  If you choose to ignore this error and lessen the improvements provided by this patch, re-run make with the DISABLE_PAX_PLUGINS=y argument..  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/linux-3.14.12'
make[1]: *** [debian/stamp/conf/kernel-conf] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/linux-3.14.12'
make: *** [debian/stamp/conf/minimal_debian] Error 2
Failed to create a ./debian directory:  at /usr/bin/make-kpkg line 984.
If you get this error copy and paste this:

apt-get install gcc-4.7-plugin-dev libgmp-dev libmpfr-dev libmpc-dev

then try and it'll work!
Last edited by Rigamortus on 2014-07-23 01:50, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: Can't compile kernel(gcc no plugins)

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Makefile:647: *** Your gcc installation does not support plugins. If the necessary headers for plugin support are missing, they should be installed. On Debian, apt-get install gcc-<ver>-plugin-dev. If you choose to ignore this error and lessen the improvements provided by this patch, re-run make with the DISABLE_PAX_PLUGINS=y argument.. Stop.
Well, is gcc-4.6-plugins-dev installed?

I'd also make sure that 4.6 is the default compiler, on Wheezy you can have 4.4, 4.6, and 4.7 installed, and I believe 4.7 is the default. If so, just install gcc-4.7-plugins-dev.
MX Linux packager and developer

Rigamortus

#3 Post by Rigamortus »

stevepusser wrote:
Makefile:647: *** Your gcc installation does not support plugins. If the necessary headers for plugin support are missing, they should be installed. On Debian, apt-get install gcc-<ver>-plugin-dev. If you choose to ignore this error and lessen the improvements provided by this patch, re-run make with the DISABLE_PAX_PLUGINS=y argument.. Stop.
Well, is gcc-4.6-plugins-dev installed?

I'd also make sure that 4.6 is the default compiler, on Wheezy you can have 4.4, 4.6, and 4.7 installed, and I believe 4.7 is the default. If so, just install gcc-4.7-plugins-dev.
I solved it, Kernel compiled 2 hours later :) Will post the solution soon so others can benefit.

bow

#4 Post by bow »

i installed gcc, that didnt solve the error, could u post how u resolved?

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

Assuming gcc 4.7 is your default compiler (type gcc -v in a terminal and see what version is returned):

Code: Select all

su -c 'apt-get install gcc-4.7-plugin-dev'
It's also a good idea to create a header package along with your kernel.
MX Linux packager and developer

skyflash

#6 Post by skyflash »

Yeah this indeed fixed my problem!