Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

my usb 3.0 stick only boots from a usb2 hub

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
ELDebiano

my usb 3.0 stick only boots from a usb2 hub

#1 Post by ELDebiano »

My usb stick with Debian only loads from the usb hub it's crazy.
I just tried putting the usb stick onto a usb3 port in my desktop and also on a usb2 port even the one where the usb hub is connected to and it wont' load!. Same initramfs prompt happens as when connected on the laptop usb ports.

I have no words. Anybody knows why? the usb hub has usb2 speeds so is not that the stick is under usb1.1 emulation.
Last edited by ELDebiano on 2015-11-05 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

Re: my usb stick installation only boots from a usb2 hub

#2 Post by kiyop »

Do not cross-post. Read http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10653
Please mention that you also ask the same question on another thread: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 56#p591271
Openbox, JWM: Jessie, Sid, Arch / Win XP (on VirtualBox), 10
http://kiyoandkei.bbs.fc2.com/

ELDebiano

#3 Post by ELDebiano »

I dare anyone to install and load successfully Debian from a usb3 stick.
If you do that and it works please tell me how you did it, I think that's my root of my problems.

kiyop
Location: Where persons without desire to improve themselves fear to tread, in Japan

#4 Post by kiyop »

ELDebiano wrote:I dare anyone to install and load successfully Debian from a usb3 stick.
I have a PC with an USB3 card, thus USB3 ports. I had an USB3-enabled USB-HDD, but it was stolen.
I succeeded in booting ubuntu installed on a partition in the USB3-enabled USB-HDD connected to the USB3 ports on the PC long time ago by adding correct modules (including maybe xhci_hcd) to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and executing "update-initramfs -u".
If I get a USB3-enabled USB-HDD, I will try similaly, but I cannot now. :(

P.S. I have read your post in http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 60#p591660 on the other thread.

ELDebiano

#5 Post by ELDebiano »

kiyop wrote:
ELDebiano wrote:I dare anyone to install and load successfully Debian from a usb3 stick.
I have a PC with an USB3 card, thus USB3 ports. I had an USB3-enabled USB-HDD, but it was stolen.
I succeeded in booting ubuntu installed on a partition in the USB3-enabled USB-HDD connected to the USB3 ports on the PC long time ago by adding correct modules (including maybe xhci_hcd) to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and executing "update-initramfs -u".
If I get a USB3-enabled USB-HDD, I will try similaly, but I cannot now. :(
try it with a usb 3.0 thumb drive as drivers may be different then when using a usb 3.0 HD.
and use Debian the same version I am using, I think a new version of debian has come out I will post soon if it can boot from usb3 and usb2 ports when the usb 3.0 thumb drive is directly connected. By the way I am using a sankdisk.

kiyop

Re: my usb 3.0 stick only boots from a usb2 hub

#6 Post by kiyop »

I forget what you wrote around 2 months ago.
Do you have another debian installed onto another media than the usb3 stick?
If you have, connect the media with a port different from the usb3 port. Try booting the debian. If the debian boots correctly, execute

Code: Select all

lsmod > modules_before
Then connect the usb3 stick on the usb3 port and try mounting a partition in the usb3 stick.
If you can mount it, execute

lsmod > modules_after
diff modules_before modules_after
and post the results.
The results may involve modules relevant to recognition of the usb3 port.
Power off and boot the debian in the usb3 stick connected to usb port different from the usb3 port.
Add the modules into /etc/initramfs-tools/modules and execute with root-privilege

update-initramfs -u
and shutdown the PC.
Remove the media which have booted debian and confirm that the usb3 stick is connected on the usb3 port and try booting.

ELDebiano

#7 Post by ELDebiano »

kiyop wrote: Remove the media which have booted debian and confirm that the usb3 stick is connected on the usb3 port and try booting.
Thanks, I'll try this when I get Debian installed onto a usb2 stick.
By the way I installed the newer debian 8.2 on the usb3 flash drive but it still didn't boot when connected directly. I think is their fault but I'm not an expert.

ELDebiano

#8 Post by ELDebiano »

kiyop wrote:I forget what you wrote around 2 months ago.
If you have, connect the media with a port different from the usb3 port. Try booting the debian. If the debian boots correctly, execute

lsmod > modules_before
Then connect the usb3 stick on the usb3 port and try mounting a partition in the usb3 stick.

lsmod > modules_after
and post the results.
I ran

lsmod > modules_before
from a run of installed debian 8.2 on a usb2 stick as user as sudo and as root and all 3 didn't return any result, is as if I didn't type any command. Can you confirm those commands work? I'm really getting into this again. :)

v&n

#9 Post by v&n »

ELDebiano wrote:I ran

lsmod > modules_before
from a run of installed debian 8.2 on a usb2 stick as user as sudo and as root and all 3 didn't return any result, is as if I didn't type any command. Can you confirm those commands work? I'm really getting into this again. :)
It won't return any result 'on the screen'. Instead, it will redirect the output (due to '>') to a file named "modules_before" located in your current working directory (in your terminal).

The next command will do the same, redirecting the outputs to a different file.

The third command will compare the two files and will show the difference between the two. Only this time you'll get some output on the screen (and if you wish, you can redirect that output to a file too, by appending " > file_name" to the last command).

kiyop

#10 Post by kiyop »

To v&n,

Thanks for explaining what I wanted to do. :)

ELDebiano

#11 Post by ELDebiano »

kiyop wrote: Then connect the usb3 stick on the usb3 port and try mounting a partition in the usb3 stick.

lsmod > modules_after
I did the first part.
Now the part where I have to mount a partition on the initramfs i can't do it, blkid can not see the usb3 stick or its partitions only the usb2 stick partitions. I loaded from the usb3 stick grub.
What now?

kiyop

#12 Post by kiyop »

ELDebiano wrote:Now the part where I have to mount a partition on the initramfs i can't do it, blkid can not see the usb3 stick or its partitions only the usb2 stick partitions. I loaded from the usb3 stick.
Do not try to execute the commands in initramfs.
Boot a debian (not initramfs) and execute the commands, as I asked at:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 68#p598490
kiyop wrote:I forget what you wrote around 2 months ago.
(snip by kiyop)

ELDebiano

#13 Post by ELDebiano »

kiyop wrote:
ELDebiano wrote:Now the part where I have to mount a partition on the initramfs i can't do it, blkid can not see the usb3 stick or its partitions only the usb2 stick partitions. I loaded from the usb3 stick.
Do not try to execute the commands in initramfs.
Boot a debian (not initramfs) and execute the commands, as I asked at:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 68#p598490
I can't boot usb3 flash drive from a usb3 port unless I use the usb2hub that's why I didn't execute the commands in debian. Do you want me to boot the usb3 flash drive from the usb2hub and execute those commands? and do you want me to use a usb2 or usb3 port? for the hub.

swirly_cloud

#14 Post by swirly_cloud »

The content of this topic has me very confused.

From what I have understood, the original poster is trying to create Debian installation media using the aforementioned USB Flash drive, but has been unsuccessful. The machine where he is booting the USB Drive gets him past the BIOS and then finds an obstacle before getting the initial Debian Installer menu (where you can choose how to install Debian from the media).

Can anyone confirm this?

If this is the case, it would be most relevant for the original poster to include how he created the installation media.

ELDebiano

#15 Post by ELDebiano »

swirly_cloud wrote:The content of this topic has me very confused.

From what I have understood, the original poster is trying to create Debian installation media using the aforementioned USB Flash drive, but has been unsuccessful. The machine where he is booting the USB Drive gets him past the BIOS and then finds an obstacle before getting the initial Debian Installer menu (where you can choose how to install Debian from the media).
Can anyone confirm this?
If this is the case, it would be most relevant for the original poster to include how he created the installation media.
I created the installation media just fine on a usb2 flash drive that is not an issue.
I can't boot debian which is installed into the usb3 flash drive from the installer. It drops into a initramfs prompt for some driver reason maybe is an initramfs problem since I did everythight right. He suggested me to install debian again but on a usb2 flash drive and yes I can boot from there.
Apparently Debian can't boot from usb3 flash drives at least by default is what the problem is.
Oh and I can boot from usb3 flash drive but only when using the usb2 hub so go figure :/

swirly_cloud

#16 Post by swirly_cloud »

I created the installation media just fine on a usb2 flash drive that is not an issue.
I can't boot debian which is installed into the usb3 flash drive from the installer. It drops into a initramfs prompt for some driver reason maybe is an initramfs problem since I did everythight right. He suggested me to install debian again but on a usb2 flash drive and yes I can boot from there.
Apparently Debian can't boot from usb3 flash drives at least by default is what the problem is.
Oh and I can boot from usb3 flash drive but only when using the usb2 hub so go figure :/
Please drop the generalisations. Debian can boot from some usb 3.x flash drives at the very least for the purpose of installing the system on another storage device.

You are just accepting that you have done everything correctly without even explaining how. You are killing your own topic. If you want people to help you out, it would help to include error messages, logs and whatever procedure you have used to install Debian on a flash drive.

kiyop

#17 Post by kiyop »

Why not understanding correctly what I mean?
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 89#p598490
kiyop wrote:Do you have another debian installed onto another media than the usb3 stick?
(snip by kiyop)
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 89#p601023
ELDebiano wrote:from a run of installed debian 8.2 on a usb2 stick
So, you have an USB2 stick with installed debian 8.2, don't you?

Furthermoe,
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 17#p588629
ELDebiano wrote:I burned a live dvdrw with the hybrid live cd of debian 8.1 gnome and installed Debian onto the 32gb usb stick like this
So, you have a live DVDRW with hybrid live cd of debian 8.1 gnome, don't you?

Connect the USB2 stick onto the USB2 port on the problematic PC.
Boot the debian installed on the USB2 stick.
Execute

lsmod > modules_before
Then, connect the USB3 stick with installed debian to the USB3 port of the problematic PC.
Try to mount the partition of the USB3 stick.
For example, execute

blkid
lsblk
to check if the USB3 stick is recognized by the debian or not.
If it is not recognized, execute

dmesg
to know if there is error message on the USB3 stick.
If it is recognized, try to mount by executing

mount -t auto /dev/sdXY /mnt -o rw
Replace "X" and "Y" to the proper values.
Execute

mount
df
to know if the partition in the USB3 stick is correctly mounted or not.
If it is mounted, execute

lsmod > modules_after
and post the results.

ELDebiano

#18 Post by ELDebiano »

swirly_cloud wrote:
Please drop the generalisations. Debian can boot from some usb 3.x flash drives at the very least for the purpose of installing the system on another storage device.

You are just accepting that you have done everything correctly without even explaining how. You are killing your own topic. If you want people to help you out, it would help to include error messages, logs and whatever procedure you have used to install Debian on a flash drive.
I think I can boot Debian from a usb3 flash drive as an installer medium but I don't care about that, yes I didn't include error messages or things like that intensively because I posted another thread about this 2 months ago that has all those details.

ELDebiano

#19 Post by ELDebiano »

kiyop wrote: If it is not recognized, execute

dmesg
to know if there is error message on the USB3 stick.
No is not recognized and I get the initramfs prompt that you already know. It shows:
xhci_hcd command completion event does not match command.
Gave up waiting for root device.
/dev/disk/root uuid does not exist
modprobe: module ehci-orion not found in modules.dep
/bin/sh: cant acces tty; job control turned off

And then initramfs prompt.
Remember im on 8.2 now

kiyop

#20 Post by kiyop »

ELDebiano wrote:xhci_hcd command completion event does not match command.

Gave up waiting for root device.
/dev/disk/root uuid does not exist
modprobe: module ehci-orion not found in modules.dep
One of my debian jessie uses kernel 3.16.0-4-amd64.
It has
/lib/modules/3.16.0-4-amd64/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ehci-hcd.ko
/lib/modules/3.16.0-4-amd64/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ehci-pci.ko
/lib/modules/3.16.0-4-amd64/kernel/drivers/usb/host/xhci-hcd.ko
but it doesn't have
echi-orion.ko

Connect the USB3 flash to the USB hub on USB2 port of the problematic PC.
Boot the debian on the USB3 flash.
Get root privilege.
Execute

find /lib/modules -iname *hci*.ko
to confirm what kind of *hci*.ko modules exist.
If xhci-hcd.ko and ehci-hcd.ko and ehci-pci.ko exist, execute

echo "xhci_hcd
ehci_hcd
ehci_pci" >> /etc/initramfs-tools/modules
update-initramfs -u -k all
Shutdown and connect the USB3 flash to the USB3 port of the problematic PC and try booting.