Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
spacex

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

#861 Post by spacex »

Linadian wrote:No systemd, latest stable LTS kernel branch, no massive amounts of configuring, user friendly, multimedia friendly, etc, etc, et-effing-cetera. Debian is a distant, faint memory.
Looking fine, but a bit to Windowsy for me :) By the way, it doesn't seem like Debian is a distant, faint memory for you. Because then you wouldn't be here. Furhermore, PID 1 will change in PCLOS also. Just a matter of time :P

Linadian

#862 Post by Linadian »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:^ Looking good Linadian -- is it reliable?
Yes, very stable and reliable (kernel 4.1.10), the only complaint I have was during a major update of my MATE DE, the DE was reset to PCLOS defaults (theme, icons, general settings, etc). It only took a few minutes to get it back to 'normal', but still, it was a bit of a pain in the arhz.

It has the newer version of DeVeDe, which just flies (two titles on the same DVD/ISO are processed simultaneously), and it's so much simpler to use than the older versions.

Linux Registered User 533946

Linadian

#863 Post by Linadian »

spacex wrote:
Linadian wrote:No systemd, latest stable LTS kernel branch, no massive amounts of configuring, user friendly, multimedia friendly, etc, etc, et-effing-cetera. Debian is a distant, faint memory.
Looking fine, but a bit to Windowsy for me :) By the way, it doesn't seem like Debian is a distant, faint memory for you. Because then you wouldn't be here. Furhermore, PID 1 will change in PCLOS also. Just a matter of time :P
Har dee har, cute, but isn't that kind of the whole idea, enlighten Windows sheep and get them in to OUR world? :P

As for the "matter of time", Bill is not a big fan of having to rewrite his whole distro for some garbage init (I use the term 'init' lightly, it's more like a kernel barnacle that wants to be the WHOLE OS :roll: ) written by a corporation. He'll be one of the last hold-outs, kicking and screaming all the way to the systemd grave, lol. :lol:
Linux Registered User 533946

spacex

#864 Post by spacex »

Linadian wrote:
Har dee har, cute, but isn't that kind of the whole idea, enlighten Windows sheep and get them in to OUR world? :P

As for the "matter of time", Bill is not a big fan of having to rewrite his whole distro for some garbage init (I use the term 'init' lightly, it's more like a kernel barnacle that wants to be the WHOLE OS :roll: ) written by a corporation. He'll be one of the last hold-outs, kicking and screaming all the way to the systemd grave, lol. :lol:
:lol: :lol: I had to try, but very nice response :wink:

Wheelerof4te

#865 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Antix 13.2 using Fluxbox ;)

Head_on_a_Stick

#866 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

Head_on_a_Stick

#867 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

ImageImage
deadbang

Head_on_a_Stick

#868 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

virgosun

#869 Post by virgosun »

win xp

Nili

#870 Post by Nili »

I used to like it that royal XP theme 10 years ago. I have leapt through time and brought some good memories :)

KaZaa, DC++, eMule, ResHack, mIRC, MSN, ICQ, XDCC, Windows Movie Maker, Macromedia Fireworks/Photoshop, Samurize and many many other stuffs.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

fireExit

#871 Post by fireExit »

Arch KF5

Head_on_a_Stick

#872 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

fireExit wrote:Arch KF5
That looks very nice indeed -- love the green terminal :)

Are those Breeze icons?
deadbang

fireExit

#873 Post by fireExit »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:love the green terminal
Thanks! 8)
yeahh, it looks good :) and it's (probably) the setting that goes easier on my eyes (close second solarized).
the icons, desktop theme and colour scheme are Breeze Dark; widget style and windeco are Breeze.

fireExit

#874 Post by fireExit »

Nokia N900

Head_on_a_Stick

#875 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

edbarx

#876 Post by edbarx »

Devuan 64 bit running XFCE4 with compositing disabled although the system supports it.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Head_on_a_Stick

#877 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Arch with XMonad and xmobar:

deadbang

keithpeter

#878 Post by keithpeter »

microlinux-desktop which is an XFCE4 based 'remix' on top of slackware 14.1.

Remixes use the base distro's repositories but then add extra bits. Other examples would be stella linux based on CentOS and Korora Project linux based on Fedora. One major addition is all the multimedia codecs. A fresh install of any of these three systems can play DVDs, most forms of video file, and music out of the box. You don't need remixes on Debian so much because of the way you can build your system from base upwards, and you can choose to enable the non-free repos or not.

The microlinux-desktop is a one man operation from the South of France. Mr Novak is providing multimedia packages (saves a lot of compiling) and Libreoffice as well as Xfce version 4.12 and a sensible set of xfce4 settings. I've changed the theme considerably from the default theming that microlinux is supplied with. You may recognise the direction of travel :twisted:

The result seems stable and quite responsive on a Thinkpad X61 with 512Mb of ram and one of the two cores switched off. It flies on a Thinkpad X200 used as Lenovo intended. I especially like the way microlinux-desktop comes with a carefully thought out repository configuration that allows the use of standard slackware package tools for updating. The author runs his own IT support business and he really wants the upgrade process to 'just work' as it means less calls from clients!

Slackware stays close to upstream so you get a pretty stock Xfce4 4.12 experience - looks like any other Xfce4 4.10 or 4.12 once you add the whisker-menu.

Installing Slackware from the DVD with an encrypted LVM for root and a small boot partition takes about an hour - just follow the guides on the DVD to set up LVM and then make a generic kernel with an initrd. Then adding in Microlinux takes some editing of 'tag files', cloning a git repository and downloading about 400Mb from the microlinux repository. Total 2 hours or so but the result is something you can set and forget.

A bit like Debian stable really.

Head_on_a_Stick

#879 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

Head_on_a_Stick

#880 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Or maybe:

I can't decide...

EDIT: Nah, xmonad/xmobar it is:

Best. Desktop. Ever.
deadbang