Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

sources.list, learn how it works then edit it!!!

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Problems with connection?

#21 Post by steve_v »

kustixd wrote:I DON´T KNOW WHAT AM I DOING.
I made some more changes to sources.list
The issue here, and the cause of most of the annoyance when yet another of these problems turns up:
Those two comments should be mutually exclusive, and seeing them in the same post makes me think: This is probably already beyond fixing.

If you don't know what you're doing, don't touch that file.
If you do know what you're doing, you probably won't want to in the first place.
Why? Because even if you put it back later, the damage is likely already done... and fixing a frankenDebian is a royal PITA.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of really bad advice floating about the 'net :evil: As soon as someone tells you to alter sources.list you should become extremely wary, particularly if it's to get a "newer version" of something.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

dasein

#22 Post by dasein »

stevepusser wrote:I made this; I'm sure it can be used in the future:
[image snipped]
Loveit, loveit, loveit!

You rawk!

Edit: And for those who want to claim that the installer/an update/gremlins "did it"...
Last edited by dasein on 2015-12-04 05:07, edited 1 time in total.

dasein

#23 Post by dasein »

steve_v wrote:
kustixd wrote:I DON´T KNOW WHAT AM I DOING.
I made some more changes to sources.list
The issue here, and the cause of most of the annoyance when yet another of these problems turns up:
Those two comments should be mutually exclusive, and seeing them in the same post makes me think: This is probably already beyond fixing.
Pithy, incisive and insightful. Exactly correct. Anyone who blindly lumbers around in sources.list forfeits the right to hide behind "I'm a newbie. Waahh!"
steve_v wrote:If you don't know what you're doing, don't touch (this) file.
Y'know, I am almost tempted to file a WISHLIST bug against the installer, asking to have that exact string (or something very much like it) written to sources.list during installation.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#24 Post by steve_v »

dasein wrote:Y'know, I am almost tempted to file a WISHLIST bug against the installer, asking to have that exact string (or something very much like it) written to sources.list file during installation.
I have been thinking that something like this is needed for quite some time now.
OTOH, who wants to read the boring header comments / manpages / official documentation when you can just follow dubious instructions from J. Random website? :roll:

Also, thanks, guess I do occasionally get it right - probably learning from the master or something. ;)

Ed. More memes: ROFL. Not quite literally, but close. :lol:
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

dasein

#25 Post by dasein »

steve_v wrote:OTOH, who wants to read the boring header comments / manpages / official documentation when you can just follow dubious instructions from J. Random website? :roll:
That's why I think it should be written directly to the file. Anyone who doesn't bother to read (or simply ignores) the embedded warning saying "DON'T MESS WIF DIS!!" deserves whatever pointing-and-laughter they receive.

The folks that read it will benefit from it. The folks that don't read it will serve as a source of guilt-free schadenfreude. A win-win, if ever there was one. :mrgreen:

I'm liking this idea more and more.
steve_v wrote:Also, thanks, guess I do occasionally get it right
Don't sell yourself short. (That's MY job, damnit!)

kustixd

Re: sources.list, learn how it works then edit it!!!

#26 Post by kustixd »

So basically this is what i did BEFORE i realized that the problem was not there.
http://imgur.com/hNFgRHV
And this is what i got.
http://imgur.com/YZs91Yk
Can´t remember how it go to editing sources.list file.

YES, NOW I KNOW IT WAS A MISTAKE. Also the server is barely 2 days old and i made it just for learning.

I appreciate all the comments and am thankful for everyone's response. Now i know how important that file is and it should be edited only when you are aware of what you are doing.

dasein

#27 Post by dasein »

Oh for the love of J. "Bob" Dobbs...

The First Rule of Holes: stop digging.

There is exactly one way for those PPAs to find their way into your sources. Gremlins didn't do it. The update didn't do it. Aliens from planet Nefarious didn't do it. And no, that stupid online tool (as crappy as it is) didn't do it either.

Stop it. Really.

For the benefit of others weary of being repeatedly and blatantly BSed by this OP, the obligatory time-saver link: http://forums.debian.net/ucp.php?i=zebr ... dd=kustixd

kustixd

#28 Post by kustixd »

Hey wiseguy, take some anger management courses. Like wth is wrong with you, you think that i installed those PPA packets on purpose and then started this topic to get... idk what, attention? to confuse people? It looks like yes, i installed something that requires those packets, but i was UNAWARE of it, get it ? I started learning Debian idk 5 days ago? And then there is you #rageboy who cant wrap his head around it, and is constantly telling the same point in different form... K ban me, block me or whatever, i recommend that you leave your rage for the psychiatrist cuz its depressing to read your post. peace

Wheelerof4te

#29 Post by Wheelerof4te »

dasein can't see your post, so I guess lashing out at him was kinda pointless :D

Not to play advocate (i.e. a lawyer) for him, but despite dasein's heated posts, he is a nice guy. But when someone doesn't take his/her time to read and take advice, then a little ''push' is needed. I would always take dasein's approach over someone's ''let's ignore the poor guy'' thing.

At least he is trying to get something through your skull. To your brain.

stevepusser

#30 Post by stevepusser »

Perhaps the PPA was added by an "apt add-repository" type command copied off of an Ubuntu blog.

That sources generator site is old and broken, and the results are bad. The first stop should always be the wiki:

https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList#Exa ... 2Jessie.22
MX Linux packager and developer