Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Slackware rejects SystemD

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Lecram

Slackware rejects SystemD

#1 Post by Lecram »

Just read the slackware changelogs they moved to eudev which means they have rejected systemd.

Source:
http://www.slackware.com/changelog/current.php?cpu=i386
http://www.blog.paranoidpenguin.net/201 ... -to-eudev/

thanatos_incarnate

Re: Slackware rejects SystemD

#2 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

Yes. Technologies like eudev, consolekit2 or vdev make that possible.
I'd like to see how these distros develop now. I'm also looking forward
to seeing "who was right" in a way, i.e. who has the leanest implementation
of some new ideas. It would be great to see Slackware/Devuan give
momentum to some of the leaner alternatives to systemd, like openrc,
just to see if all of the new stuff can't be replicated with it.

arabianights

#3 Post by arabianights »

I'm testing Slackware in virtualbox now.

Once I got a handle on slackware, I'd like to completely migrate away from Debian. since launch of debian8, I've tried various non-systemd distros such as FreeBSD, openindiana, and voidlinux etc. FreeBSD is a fine OS, although pkg sometimes broke installed application. openindiana doesn't work well on my machines, voidlinux is pretty good (with 'runit' as init).

HuangLao

#4 Post by HuangLao »

arabianights wrote:I'm testing Slackware in virtualbox now.

Once I got a handle on slackware, I'd like to completely migrate away from Debian. since launch of debian8, I've tried various non-systemd distros such as FreeBSD, openindiana, and voidlinux etc. FreeBSD is a fine OS, although pkg sometimes broke installed application. openindiana doesn't work well on my machines, voidlinux is pretty good (with 'runit' as init).
Slackware is great and has not changed much since the 90's. Commands, structure, layout etc.. are all the same. The package manager is very easy to understand and all dependencies are handled for official Slackware repo. If you use Slackbuilds.org, then also install "sbopkg" which allows you to automate the build process for non slackware programs. There is also slackpkg+ which allows you to add third party repos like AlienBob's (slack dev.) repo, or Robbie W. (slack dev.) repo etc... There is even a pretty good repo out of Italy "slacky.eu" that is pre-setup if you install slackpkg+.

Hope that helps. eudev is great, Slack likes to keep the BSD style init, but you can easily add SysV and/or OpenRC if you want.

Any programs that are missing from slackbuilds.org, and other repos already mentioned can easily be taken from any .deb, .rpm or source and easily converted to slackware package. Feel free to send a PM if you want any tips, been using Slackware for a long time. Fav. distros are Debian and Slackware, in no particular order. :)

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I love Slackware.

No dependency hell in that distribution :)
deadbang

keithpeter

#6 Post by keithpeter »

Lecram wrote:Just read the slackware changelogs they moved to eudev which means they have rejected systemd.

Source:
http://www.slackware.com/changelog/current.php?cpu=i386
http://www.blog.paranoidpenguin.net/201 ... -to-eudev/
I'd rather say something along the lines of 'the Slackware project is making a pragmatic choice to minimise the changes needed to its familiar structure by making use of upstream projects such as consolekit2 and eudev to enable the delivery of a rich desktop with recent versions of major applications'. Not snappy I admit.

The Slackware core team is pretty low drama and pragmatic. I'm not sure this is any kind of 'stand' as such.

PS: Posting this off Slackware/MLED with xfce4 as the DE. I alternate between Slack/Debian Sid and OpenBSD on the testing box. The netbook has Jessie on (runs rather well as it happens).

Lecram

#7 Post by Lecram »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I love Slackware.

No dependency hell in that distribution :)
True but there is the "compilation nightmare" in slackware
keithpeter wrote: The Slackware core team is pretty low drama and pragmatic
wish the debian core team was also low drama but a person can only dream.

HuangLao

#8 Post by HuangLao »

Lecram,

Its (Slackware) not so bad once you get used to it. I am hoping that Slackware and Gentoo can lend inspiration to Debian in case the systemd gamble doesn't turn out too well.

If nothing else, having viable alternatives will put pressure on systemd....which is a good think I think. ;)

Lecram

#9 Post by Lecram »

HuangLao wrote: Its (Slackware) not so bad once you get used to it. I am hoping that Slackware and Gentoo can lend inspiration to Debian in case the systemd gamble doesn't turn out too well.
For an average user the time it needs to setup after installation to the user's own taste can be sometimes time consuming especially for newbie on the other hand it is as stable as debian. I tried slackware it worked pretty well. As you mentioned slackware can be an example which that systemd isn't the only option that can run the init system better
HuangLao wrote: If nothing else, having viable alternatives will put pressure on systemd....which is a good think I think. ;)
Competition always brings out the best otherwise there will be only monopoly. Considering init, we already had the runit init system packaged in debian repo
why did we have to conform just because every other distro is choosing systemd
https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/initsystem/
from the above link i get runit wasn't even considered for an init system. Can someone explain it to me why runit wasn't considered by the debian technical committee?

dust hill resident

#10 Post by dust hill resident »

I'm not resisting systemd, it seems to work well on the computers I've got it on and I don't have a problem with systemd in itself.

But it does concern me a lot how systemd seems to have been forced on the linux community and how it seems to be very hard to avoid. So I'm glad to see this, it means that alternatives will be maintained and supported, and may become more easily accessible.

edbarx

#11 Post by edbarx »

dust hill resident wrote:it means that alternatives will be maintained and supported, and may become more easily accessible
They are accessible. The difference, is one needs more determination. I have been using 64 bit Devuan since Summer.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

HuangLao

#12 Post by HuangLao »

heck even Ubuntu has systemd as default init (15.10), then Upstart runs everything else so by default it limits systemd. Users have the option to control services with Upstart or systemd. Who would have thought that Ubuntu would be the bastion of choice.

HuangLao

#13 Post by HuangLao »

Lecram wrote:
For an average user the time it needs to setup after installation to the user's own taste can be sometimes time consuming especially for newbie on the other hand it is as stable as debian. I tried slackware it worked pretty well. As you mentioned slackware can be an example which that systemd isn't the only option that can run the init system better
There is also SalixOS (http://salixos.org/) which is "Slackware made easy" or "Slackware optimized for desktop". They provide dependencies using slapt-get which is based on apt-get so its easy for anyone familiar with apt-get. :)

spacex

#14 Post by spacex »

HuangLao wrote:
Lecram wrote:
There is also SalixOS (http://salixos.org/) which is "Slackware made easy" or "Slackware optimized for desktop". They provide dependencies using slapt-get which is based on apt-get so its easy for anyone familiar with apt-get. :)
Yes, Salix is awesome.

rokytnji

#15 Post by rokytnji »

I'm mostly a Slackel Fluxbox and AntiX user myself.

Sourcery in Salix and Slackel is a wonderous thing.
So is AntiX.

http://antix.freeforums.org/dist-upgrad ... t5719.html
http://antix.freeforums.org/antix-15-1- ... t6066.html

kikinovak

#16 Post by kikinovak »

I you want to run a full-blown Slackware desktop with Xfce, you can give MLED a spin.

http://www.microlinux.eu/