Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Unable to browse network

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
geekosupremo

[SOLVED] Unable to browse network

#1 Post by geekosupremo »

Issue: When in Thundar (on XFCE - Debian 8.2) and I click the "Network" icon in the left sidebar the following message is displayed.
Failed to open "/ on". Specified location is not supported.
I configured eth0 according to the manual instructions for a static IP in /etc/network/interfaces on the Debian Wiki. I can use the terminal (stterm) to ping other computers on the network. I can SSH to other computers. I can apt-get update. I can surf the web (I'm posting from the affected machine). I have Samba installed.

Near as I can tell addressing the network, and seeing the windows devices should be fine.
Last edited by geekosupremo on 2015-12-16 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: Unable to browse network

#2 Post by steve_v »

I may be barking up the wrong tree here, it's been a while since I used XFCE... do you have gvfs-backends installed? IIRC Thunar uses gvfs for 'virtual' (e.g. network) filesystems, and (again IIRC) the xfce-desktop task installs only gvfs, but not the gvfs-backends package.
Failing that, does samba/cifs browsing work with e.g. smbclient at a console?
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

geekosupremo

#3 Post by geekosupremo »

steve_v wrote:do you have gvfs-backends installed? IIRC Thunar uses gvfs for 'virtual' (e.g. network) filesystems, and (again IIRC) the xfce-desktop task installs only gvfs, but not the gvfs-backends package.
I did not before but I added them an now it seems to be working! Thanks so much!

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#4 Post by steve_v »

Excellent :D
For the benefit of others, recon you could add [SOLVED] to the topic title?
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

geekosupremo

#5 Post by geekosupremo »

steve_v wrote:For the benefit of others, recon you could add [SOLVED] to the topic title?
Done and done! I just wanted to try a few things to make sure that it was genuinely solved. :wink:

doraimom

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to browse network

#6 Post by doraimom »

steve_v wrote:I may be barking up the wrong tree here, it's been a while since I used XFCE... do you have gvfs-backends installed? IIRC Thunar uses gvfs for 'virtual' (e.g. network) filesystems, and (again IIRC) the xfce-desktop task installs only gvfs, but not the gvfs-backends package.
Failing that, does samba/cifs browsing work with e.g. smbclient at a console?
Debian 8 here, with XFCE.
Same problem using Thunar. smb:// doesn't work, and clicking on network browser inside it also displays error message.

Installing the missing package gvfs-backends solved the problem. It was the villain!

Thank you very much!

braze

#7 Post by braze »

--bingo-- !! its 'was' gvfs-backends

thanks,, ** worked for me too. was starting to get frustrated

Dave B

#8 Post by Dave B »

It Worked! Debian 8.9 / xfce (First desktop install for me; used to plain old text interface.)

martabi

#9 Post by martabi »

Worked here too! Debian 9.5 / xfce

aptinstalldebian

#10 Post by aptinstalldebian »

Just created an account to say that this still works on Debian 10 Buster, as of 31 July 2020.

Just for SEO purposes, so others can find this: " how to connect to network from file manager smb:// local network 192.168.0 connect to NAS network-attached storage other computers on local wi-fi shared file systems "

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by CwF »

works in bullseye too!