Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Compiz in Debian testing.

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
fabrixx

Compiz in Debian testing.

#1 Post by fabrixx »

Hi.

I not see Compiz in Debian testing (only sid) how can i install it?

Thanks

dasein

Re: Compiz in Debian testing.

#2 Post by dasein »

Before you go installing buggy software on your system, maybe think about what it means for a package to be in Sid but not Testing.

(Offered as food for thought.)

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

Compiz is really cool looking and fun to show off to your friends but I can't think of any other use. The thrill wears off quickly.

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

fabrixx wrote:Hi.

I not see Compiz in Debian testing (only sid) how can i install it?

Thanks
Compiz packages in sid are currently only available from debports, which isn't for amd64 or i386.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

fabrixx

#5 Post by fabrixx »

Ok thanks.
I want compiz for Debian Mate

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

I want a Maserati. :)
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Compiz died.
You can dig up it's corpse at snapshots.debian.org but those zombie packages will likely eat your Mate's brains.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

kedaha

#8 Post by kedaha »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:Compiz died.
You can dig up it's corpse at snapshots.debian.org but those zombie packages will likely eat your Mate's brains.
To paraphrase Mark Twain, I hope "the reports of Compiz's death are greatly exaggerated" if, as the wikipedia entry on Compiz says:
...a small team continues to work on Compiz with version 0.9.12 being the current focus of development.[22]
Further details at compiz-team

I see at compiz.org:
The latest stable release of the Compiz 0.8 series is 0.8.8.
The latest stable release of the Compiz 0.9 series is 0.9.12.2 [with added MATE integration] and bug reports can be found here.
Anyone interested in installing on Debian "jessie," might like to use or adapt the Compiz_Last_Ride script provided there. I've had a look at the script but would advise against running the end part which ends with the make install routine; it'd be much better to skip that part and to build Debian packages from there. I'd also advise running make before installing any nvidia packages which may throw a spanner in the works.
DebianStable

$ vrms

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Ah, ok - a hand bursts forth from the ground then ... :)

This seemed fairly definitive at the time - looks like someone stepped up.

The 0.9 branch was never packaged for Debian, just the 0.8 branch (last updated in 2011) which is likely to have some issues on newer systems.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

kedaha

#10 Post by kedaha »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:Ah, ok - a hand bursts forth from the ground then ... :)
:D
Just to confirm that bulding Compiz from source 0.9.12.2 source went without a hitch on a VirtualBox amd64 "jessie" system except that - rather than make install - I just resorted to using checkinstall which means it looks like it can be done properly with dh-make.
It would be nice if some maintainer could check out this latest version of Compiz with a view to getting it into sid and then it could be backported.
Note: Just to add that, when I get round to it, I'll post again about this under a different topic title about "Compiz in stable."
DebianStable

$ vrms

fabrixx

#11 Post by fabrixx »

Thank you

kedaha

#12 Post by kedaha »

To add to what I wrote in my previous post:
I ran the quaintly-named "Compiz_Last_Ride" script manually in a VirtualBox instance of Debian stable and after enabling the proprietary nvidia driver found that the script seems "to do what it says on the tin." and gets the compiz 0.9.2.12 version up and running using the make install commands in the script in jessie rather than with the debs made with checkinstall; for example, the desktop cube worked but there were a few glitches which might not occur if it were run on a proper installation. But even if it worked in "stretch", there's no knowing what might happen in the course of time since testing can change quite a lot. And because this upstream version is unavailable in official deb packages, it might easily mess up your system.
DebianStable

$ vrms

swirler

#13 Post by swirler »

Compiz 0.9.12 works in Ubuntu and Mint (OK, the way things work in Ubuntu and Mint) and -more importantly- works flawlessly (as far as I've seen) in Knoppix 7.6 with spectacular effects.

I think it's about time that it gets back in Debian.

tsujan

#14 Post by tsujan »

Believe it or not, Compiz still works smoothly under Debian Testing :)

Yesterday I felt nostalgic for it. Google led me to Arch pages as usual. I grabbed Arch PKGBUILD files and patches for Compiz-0.9.12.2 and Emerald-0.9.5 and started the hard job of patching, changing and compiling without much hope. But,to my surprise, not only the compilation finished successfully but also Compiz worked smoothly under LXQt (my preferred DE)!

When I enabled its JPEG and PNG plugins, it crashed but after I restarted it, the plugings were enabled and it worked OK with all its fancy effects! I cleared '/var/lib/systemd/coredump' and logged out/in several times but no Compiz coredump has been created. That's while kwin creates coredumps on logging out.

I think Compiz will work until Wayland comes.

tsujan

#15 Post by tsujan »

Compiz-0.8.12.3 is even better and completely functional under Debian Testing. It has the blur effect, which is disabled in v0.9.12.2.

tsujan

#16 Post by tsujan »

A screencast that shows how smoothly Compiz-0.8.12.3 works with LXQt under Debian Testing: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/779 ... z-lxqt.mkv

swirler

#17 Post by swirler »

Is there any work being done to reintroduce Compiz in the official Debian repositories?
tsujan wrote:Believe it or not, Compiz still works smoothly under Debian Testing :)

Yesterday I felt nostalgic for it. Google led me to Arch pages as usual. I grabbed Arch PKGBUILD files and patches for Compiz-0.9.12.2 and Emerald-0.9.5 and started the hard job of patching, changing and compiling without much hope. But,to my surprise, not only the compilation finished successfully but also Compiz worked smoothly under LXQt (my preferred DE)!.
A tad too much for me...
tsujan wrote:I think Compiz will work until Wayland comes.
I may be wrong, but after reading a bit about Wayland, looks like Compiz would be not entirely out of the question - at least, in theory.

BTW: I know that people usually refer to Compiz as "eye candy", and it surely is ... but, apart from the fact that I see nothing wrong in having a nice desktop environment (well, people running servers or headless machines may object to this), I think it also helps when working with multiple desktops (workspaces), because some of its features make dragging windows between desktops way easier, or quickly finding a particular window among many others and so on.

I'm a bit "upset" that Ubuntu still has it, meaning : if they can make it work, why Debian can't ?

stevepusser

#18 Post by stevepusser »

You can try 8.4, the same version that Kanotix ships with, from my multimedia Jessie OBS repo: https://software.opensuse.org/download. ... ackage=mpv

It needed a few patches to build on Jessie. It doesn't need any of the other backported multimedia applications in that repo, I just added it because I was too lazy to set up yet another separate OBS repo. :?

You should install compiz, and suggested packages are emerald, emerald-themes, metacity, and compiz-plugins-unsupported for more effects. Since there's no configuration file, you need to use the CCSM setup manager to configure it first (use fusion-icon to make this easier) per the Arch wiki for compiz.

This is the version that still has the fire (burn) and beam-up effects, which were removed later.
MX Linux packager and developer

deborah-and-ian

#19 Post by deborah-and-ian »

Compiz is kind of kept alive mainly for Unity until version 8 comes out which uses Mir to composite.
Ubuntu Mate and Mint patch their stuff to work with Compiz, but in none of the cases would I recommend using it.

Why not just use compton? At least it's in the Debian repos.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

swirler

#20 Post by swirler »

Is Compton comparable to Compiz? Does it have the same features/effects ?
I'm curious about it, but haven't tried yet (UbuntuMate also has Compton available by default, but I couldn't see any desktop effects at all when switching to it, while using a live CD) .

When I said that Ubuntu/Mint still have Compiz I wasn't thinking at all about stuffing their versions into Debian (although I'm sure someone has tried it, with who knows what results), I simply meant, if *they* can make it work after all, why not Debian ?

And let's not forget that Compiz, based on what I've seen in a short live session, also works really well (I'd say surprisingly well) in Knoppix, and that is based on Debian as well - I'm not sure about this, but maybe Knoppix is even more closely tied to Debian than Ubuntu is ?

BTW, it lately occurred to me that Compiz has yet another feature that I'm really missing, not anything fancy or spectacular at all, but something truly useful IMO : smart windows placing.
I was used to open as many windows as I wanted and they would get automatically placed so that wouldn't cover each other (within the limits of available screen space,of course) : now without Compiz sometimes I'll just open two windows and they will instantly cover each other, requiring manual placement.That really sucks.