Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What internet browser to replace iceweasel/firefox?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
HuangLao

Re: What internet browser to replace iceweasel/firefox?

#21 Post by HuangLao »

Surprised no-one mentioned Seamonkey.
http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#22 Post by oswaldkelso »

Beat me to it. Seamonkey here and dwb and fifth-browser are worth a shout.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

TonyVanDam

#23 Post by TonyVanDam »

edbarx wrote:Since, the last policy changes by the firefox developer team, their famous browser and its functional replica, iceweasel, are expected as some threads on these fora explained, to require more powerful computers, I am creating this thread to discuss what alternative browsers exist, if any at all. Those who don't have high end hardware 'may' start to experience drops in performance of their favourite browser.

As my hardware is NOT the best on the planet boasting of eight or ten cores and my RAM is only a measly 2 GB, I am expecting that my long use of iceweasel may soon come to an end.

The crucial quesiton is: which existent browsers can effectively replace iceweasel for hardware that is not so recent?
ANSWER: Firefox/Iceweasel alternatives! :mrgreen:

Palemoon -- If CPU & RAM are your main concerns, this browser is the #1 answer.

Tor Browser Bundle [TBB] -- It's a good idea to have this as a secondary browser for times that you need more privacy AND security than what Firefox, Iceweasel, or Palemoon can offer. And since the number of Tor users has increase in recent years, it's a lot faster than Jondofox.

Bulkley

#24 Post by Bulkley »

After loading my usual security and privacy extensions Pale Moon doesn't seem to be any faster than Iceweasel. That's always the rub. Simple software is always faster. It is features that slow us down. As far as I can tell, the main advantage of Pale Moon is that one does not have to use the Australus theme.

thanatos_incarnate

#25 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

Bulkley wrote:After loading my usual security and privacy extensions Pale Moon doesn't seem to be any faster than Iceweasel. That's always the rub. Simple software is always faster. It is features that slow us down. As far as I can tell, the main advantage of Pale Moon is that one does not have to use the Australus theme.
I have the same experience on my new machine, but Pale Moon does help on my old netbook. However, even the leanest browser can't save you from javascript bullshit, so I just changed my browsing habits. NoScript, uBlock Origin and a custom hosts file are shielding me from invasive content. On js heavy websites I have to use I try to open the mobile version. It mostly does the same thing and takes much less resources. I almost never watch online video with the browser, as mostly either mpv or youtube-dl will do the trick and give me much better playback anyway.

Bulkley

#26 Post by Bulkley »

[quote="thanatos_incarnate"]However, even the leanest browser can't save you from javascript bullshit . . . /quote]

I remember using Gopher to browse back when I had a 9.6k dial-up modem. It took no longer to reach around the globe than it does now. The difference is that, prior to the WWW and all its junk, content was mostly text.

stevepusser

#27 Post by stevepusser »

We have a built-from-source Pale Moon in the MEPIS and MX 15 repository, but our build configuration had to be approved by the Pale Moon developer in order to use the name. I'm pretty sure Debian could add the package, but would want to change the name to "New Moon" or something like that in order to have the freedom to change any build configuration.
MX Linux packager and developer

dasein

#28 Post by dasein »

Bulkley wrote:...prior to the WWW and all its junk, content was mostly text.
Hey, even in the Web's early days, content was mostly... well, content.

These days, the vast majority of bytes pumped out via the Web is surveillance, and content is more like an afterthought.

Sorry. I'm ranting.

Bulkley

#29 Post by Bulkley »

dasein wrote:
Bulkley wrote:...prior to the WWW and all its junk, content was mostly text.
Hey, even in the Web's early days, content was mostly... well, content.

These days, the vast majority of bytes pumped out via the Web is surveillance, and content is more like an afterthought.

Sorry. I'm ranting.
So am I. You are right.

TonyVanDam

#30 Post by TonyVanDam »

Bulkley wrote:After loading my usual security and privacy extensions Pale Moon doesn't seem to be any faster than Iceweasel. That's always the rub. Simple software is always faster. It is features that slow us down. As far as I can tell, the main advantage of Pale Moon is that one does not have to use the Australus theme.
It's not a fair argument, my professional opinion of course. I say that because most of my add-ons/extensions (except for NoScript) for Firefox can not be install on Pale Moon. And from user experience, too many add-ons/extensions can slow down a web browser, hence why Firefox is slower on my 14-year-old desktop than Pale Moon. But of course, this is not an issue on my 4-year-old laptop.

Head_on_a_Stick

#31 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

thanatos_incarnate

#32 Post by thanatos_incarnate »

TonyVanDam wrote: It's not a fair argument
I can't speak for Bulkley, but in my case, all extensions work or they have a modified version from the Pale Moon devs. They all pretty much behave the same on my stronger machine (quadcore AMD APU with 4 GB RAM). But even on my weaker netbook with 2 GB RAM the RAM is not an issue, it's more about the processor being squeezed on javascript heavy websites.

Crewp

#33 Post by Crewp »

I vote for Pale Moon

swirler

#34 Post by swirler »

I'd vote for disabling every possible background service in Firefox/Iceweasel (and there's plenty of this stuff), then block almost everything except actual content (following this line of reasoning) by means of NoScript, Ublock origin, Request Policy and the likes.
Which can be quite an interesting albeit lengthy exercise.

Job

#35 Post by Job »

Thanks to this thread I am now enjoying epiphany. About two years ago I wanted to use epiphany as my only browser but the browser could not render some sites correctly. Today I can say I am happy and impressed. All my favorites sites come across way better than with iceweasel and I can play all my videos from those sites.

Thumbs up!
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

Danielsan

#36 Post by Danielsan »

Unfortunately you can avoid to use Iceweasel or Chromium as a main browser.

For fast reading I prefer use Chromium, but for long session with many tabs open I prefer using Iceweasel. To avoid unnecessary using of cpu I use Ublock-Origin, Ghostery, Flashblock. Then there a lot of tab suspenders, really useful indeed, that have always problem with Iceweasel but work fine with Firefox for Win. If you are using a stable probably you will be able to find someone which is still working with your version of Iceweasel.

Take a look on this: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... form=Linux

I've never used, Palemoon but it appears just like a tricky Iceweasel however there is a fact, which is well known, that Firefox for Linux works better than Iceweasel due the default setup. Anyway, nobody had mentioned Icecat, I always heard that Icecat is more responsive than Firefox and thus Iceweasel.

I don't suggest Seamonkey/Iceape because even if is a light browser is not responsive at all on a crappy computer like mine.

alderaan

#38 Post by alderaan »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:http://www.brave.com/
Thanks for the link, looks promising...

carbonfibre

#39 Post by carbonfibre »

Conkeror

Job

#40 Post by Job »

carbonfibre wrote:Conkeror
Don't know about now but really buggy.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD