Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

nvidia and keyboard trouble after dist-upgrade/kernel 4.3

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Aztks

nvidia and keyboard trouble after dist-upgrade/kernel 4.3

#1 Post by Aztks »

Hi,

I've upgraded to kernel 4.3 and am unable now to login in Gnome 3.
What happens is that the system boots and finishes with TTY and all the text blinks. Impossible to write - the letters appear where they should or in the beginning of the screen above the prompt - depending of the time of blinking and writing. The numlock light on the keyboard blinks too.

I am able to log in recovery kernel mode through GRUB and it halts at some bluetooth loading and when i press enter I can login as root. (or press alt+d and continue the boot)
Installed this way newest Nvidia drivers through sgfxi script and when rebooted it loads Gnome login normally, but the keyboard and mouse are completely dead.
They work (keyboard at least) during the boot before Gnome is fired. If I start manually startx it kills them too.

I removed the proprietary Nvidia driver and replaced it with nouveau through sgfxi, but the situation is the same.

The videocard, mouse and keyboard are OK - work normally under the dreaded MS Windows which I keep on a partition just in case.

Tried to put AutoAddDevices "false" in xorg.config - didn't help. Regenerated xorg.config several times and tried backup ones - no luck at all.

I am now in situation with no desktop and impossible to use TTY or with normally loading Gnome but with no kbd and mouse...

Any help would be appreciated.
(Note - I had same issue some time ago, but Nvidia driver update through sgfxi worked.)
Last edited by Aztks on 2016-01-29 06:05, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: kernel 4.3 Nvidia trouble

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Can you boot to your previous kernel and get into GNOME?
MX Linux packager and developer

Aztks

Re: kernel 4.3 Nvidia trouble

#3 Post by Aztks »

No, as a second thought I might have got it wrong. Something else must have changed while doing dist-upgrade since I have same problems with the previous kernel booting.
Something I can't figure out :(

I just did apt-get dist-upgrade and got in the above situation and all I noticed is that new kernel has been installed.

fireExit

Re: nvidia and keyboard trouble after dist-upgrade/kernel 4.

#4 Post by fireExit »

Aztks wrote:I just did apt-get dist-upgrade and got in the above situation and all I noticed is that new kernel has been installed.
ohh ohh i guess you won a ticket to http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=114130
what's the output of

Code: Select all

uname -a; lsb_release -a
and more important what's the true content of
sources.list and any files in sources.list.d

Aztks

#5 Post by Aztks »

Hi,

It is actually getting more complicated... I tried to regenerate the source list using apt-spy, reinstalled Gnome entirely - nothing changed.
GDM3 cannot load, when started normally the system boots and a TTY starts to flicker and being unusable.
Interesting - after a while (2-3) minutes the flickering stops, I can log in but no descktop can be started. tty7 is blanc.

About your question fireExit:

uname -a; lsb_release -a:
Distributor ID:	Debian
Description:	Debian GNU/Linux stable-updates (sid)
Release:	stable-updates
Codename:	sid

No LSB modules are available
(LSB-core is installed though)

sources.list:

deb http://ftp.bg.debian.org/debian jessie main
deb http://ftp.bg.debian.org/debian jessie-updates main
deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main
deb http://ftp.bg.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ jessie-updates main contrib non-free
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
sources.list.d:

sources.list.d\phablet-team-tools-wheezy.list
sources.list.d\phablet-team-tools-wheezy.list.save
sources.list.d\thefanclub-grive-tools-wheezy.list
sources.list.d\thefanclub-grive-tools-wheezy.list.save
sources.list.d\apt-spy.list
sources.list.d\colingille-ubuntu-freshlight-xenial.list
sources.list.d\colingille-ubuntu-freshlight-xenial.list.save
sources.list.d\google-chrome.list
sources.list.d\google-chrome.list.save
sources.list.d\google-earth.list
sources.list.d\google-earth.list.save
sources.list.d\lightzone.list
sources.list.d\lightzone.list.save

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

You've been linked mate:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=605848#p605848

Time to reinstall...
deadbang

Aztks

#7 Post by Aztks »

What I am not doing is just taking the iso image and reinstall the whole system. This is Linux for Christ sake :)
Give me your repair type ideas :)

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Then roll up your sleeves and systematically undo all the damage you have inflicted on that system.
It looks like it will be a long painful process, and your chances of success are likely near-zero, but you will have the opportunity to learn much :)

Start by removing all those foreign repo's and all the packages that came from them.

You might need this:
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... 02.en.html
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

RU55EL

#9 Post by RU55EL »

Aztks wrote:What I am not doing is just taking the iso image and reinstall the whole system.
Aztks wrote:Give me your repair type ideas :)
Re-installation is the best way to repair your operating system.

Head_on_a_Stick has a link at the bottom of his posts that you should find very helpful in understanding what happened to your operating system, and how to prevent creating a FrankenDebian in the future.

Advice For New Users On Not Breaking Their Debian System

dasein

#10 Post by dasein »

Aztks wrote:What I am not doing is just taking the iso image and reinstall the whole system.
Then you aren't going to solve your problem. What you have done is create a "FrankenInstall," unique to you. You are going to encounter problems that no one here will be able to reproduce, much less troubleshoot.
Aztks wrote:This is Linux for Christ sake :) Give me your repair type ideas :)
Kind of like asking for "repair ideas" after you've taken a sledge hammer to something. Situations such as this are why the word FUBAR exists,
Last edited by dasein on 2016-01-30 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

#11 Post by GarryRicketson »

Aztks wrote:
What I am not doing is just taking the iso image and reinstall the whole system.
I agree, don't "just take the ISO image and re-install", there is much more to it then that.
Read the documentation on Debian, first, after you read all of it, decide which ISO image is the best for your needs, and your equipment, which version you want, etc.
Then install the system you have decided to install.
If you read the documentation, you will see Debian is only 1 of the many different linux distros, and even Debian has many different versions, each version has it's repositories and packages that are for that particular version.
This is where you are making your mistakes, you seem to think all the linux distributions are the same, and they are not. There is much more to linux then you realize.
This is Linux for Christ sake , Give me your repair type ideas
To "repair" a system that has various distr1butions or versions the first thing you need to do is decide, which distribution and version you will use, then get rid of everything else,
dilberts_left_nut »Start by removing all those foreign repo's and all the packages that came from them.
It really would be easier for you to re-install probably not the ISO you have, get one that is current, and if you read the documentation, get the one that suits your needs the best, there is no point in using a ISO for example for Debian wheezy, if you are going to be wanting to have the newest "sid" or "testing" releases, or Debian 8 (recommended), It may be that Debian is not the best distro for you, only you can decide that, but you have to read documentation on all of the linux distributions to make any kind of intelligent decision.
Honestly , I am sorry this probably is not the answers or ideas you want to hear, but with all the different stuff you have mixed in, it really is the best way to "repair", you could spend weeks trying to sort out the mess and more then likely it still won't work, for sure you will also need to install all the missing pieces and packages from the correct repos in order to have the programs you want to use.
My advice is to not "just install" any old linux or debian ISO , do some serious research first, and then make sure you do it right this time.