Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Boot from Live DVD in to RAM memory questions

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
xenon

#1 Post by xenon »

When Debian OS is booted in to memory, this is a clean boot, because with the iso on the DVD can not be tampered with, but someone who has hacked your modem, can target your IP and can place a keylogger in the RAM memory, side-by-side of the OS, does not necessarily need to know zero-day-exploits of Debian (if there are any). Is that correct?

Moreover the trick, once known and automated, can be repeated every time you boot from the Debian Live DVD?

bigrigdriver

Re: Boot from Live DVD in to RAM memory questions

#2 Post by bigrigdriver »

If you are using a wireless modem (wi-fi router), you can set up encryption, then change your password. Make it a hard password, using uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols, 10 characters or more. Then login to your ISP's website and change your password there.

If you are using hardwired modem, such as a cable modem, check with your ISP about setting up encryption, and changing your password (same rules as above).
Registered GNU/Linux user #170078

Go ask google before you ask on these boards.

It it isn't broken, Tweak It !!!

xenon

#3 Post by xenon »

bigrigdriver wrote:...you can set up encryption, then change your password...
Thanks for reply. Encryption is perhaps a good idea, you mean data exchange between modem and PC should be encrypted? I need (private and public) key for modem and PC? Or route PC to ISP Internet backbone server should be encrypted? I don't need at my ISP to login with a password to the Internet, I have cable connection with my modem, by the way.

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

You're not nearly paranoid enough...
  • - That keylogger you're so worried about could be built directly into your keyboard hardware.
    - Your HDD could be undetectably compromised.
    - Your CPU could be undetectably compromised.
    - Your NIC could be undetectably compromised.
    - Malware could be embedded on each and every USB device you plug into the computer.
If any of these strikes you as far-fetched, then you haven't been keeping up with your reading--every last one is a viable/documented attack vector with at least a known proof-of-concept. Some have been used successfully in very well-known, high-profile attacks.

If you're really all that concerned about security, your first step has to be to design, engineer, and fabricate all of your own hardware, from scratch. Alternately, set up your workspace as shown below.
Last edited by dasein on 2015-12-30 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

xenon

#5 Post by xenon »

dasein wrote:You're not nearly paranoid enough...

Alternately, set up your workspace as shown below.
There is a rootkit key logger in your BIOS brother :D

xenon

#6 Post by xenon »

dasein wrote:You're not nearly paranoid enough...
  • - That keylogger you're so worried about could be built directly into your keyboard hardware.
    - Your HDD could be undetectably compromised.
    - Your CPU could be undetectably compromised.
    - Your NIC could be undetectably compromised.
    - Malware could be embedded on each and every USB device you plug into the computer.
If any of these strikes you as far-fetched, then you haven't been keeping up with your reading--every last one is a viable/documented attack vector with at least a known proof-of-concept. Some have been used successfully in very well-known, high-profile attacks.

If you're really all that concerned about security, your first step has to be to design, engineer, and fabricate all of your own hardware, from scratch. Alternately, set up your workspace as shown below.
Dear Madam or Sir,

What if you boot from Live DVD and use WPA2-PSK WPS disabled WIFI?

Hardware key loggers running outside the OS shell cannot send their data then over the Internet, not even if the logger is build in network card, because how intelligent must the logger program be to get track of the (strong) WIFI key?

Hardware key logger is either an embedded program in one of the chips or in or on a specially designed chip somewhere in the hardware, so reflashing all the crap does not help.

Is this procedure 100% safe?

...is it save?...

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

by xenon » Can you at least leave the first reply intact? To the "dasein" account on thread:
There is no problem coninueing the discussion here, as you can see.
But also, just to clarify, I am not a "moderator", just a spam hunter, and Debian user , like everyone else. The forum administrators and moderators, make the decision on closing any topic or moving it ,etc. Usually that is based on the "forum guidelines". So with that said, you can carry on with the topic, in this thread. Thanks

Bulkley

#8 Post by Bulkley »

Tails live-CD or USB wipes your memory on exit. Nice.

xenon

#9 Post by xenon »

Bulkley wrote:Tails live-CD or USB wipes your memory on exit. Nice.
Yes cookies don't work over reboots, so you got to type in the passwords all the time, I keep computer on all the time, when not working in hibernation (sleep), maybe total reboot every week, you can only install programs in memory, not on the Live DVD or USB of course, also after reboot all is lost, but that's what you get when you want more privacy for big brother. :(

When a key logger makes a buffer log in memory, which he wants to send, when there is the opportunity, that one is lost too after reboot, when you only use WIFI Linux and never WINDOWS, he might even buffer log and store on the D: hard drive, it won't help him. :D :D :D

Is that what you meant?

andre@home

#10 Post by andre@home »

If you think you are paranoid... for such things... change your modems password very often...
And for the wifi ... do NOT use the default password on the sticker... there is indeed an algorithm around that can recalculate the default password from the MAC address that can be found easily by wifi hunters.... (saw a demo of it.. took maybe 10 seconds..)
So always change that default wifi password....
And in case you also are paranoid about this password.. change it while you are changing the modems password too.....

Not only Belkin...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/23 ... c_address/

xenon

#11 Post by xenon »

andre@home wrote:If you think you are paranoid... for such things...
I don't think I'm paranoid when I know the NSA builds in hardware viruses, in any device, mobile or not, how else can USA tap French President Hollande and German Bundeskansler Merkel, the hardware virus trick leaked out, whole world can now tap them, even Christchurch's Long John Silver Imitators Society :D , and now we have no democracy in the world anymore :(

andre@home

#12 Post by andre@home »

When do not trust even Debian builders... well ... you have to build your own OS yourself.. hope you can trust yourself.. ;)

Bak to you reaction: of course... this happens... But realize why this happens... and make an educated guess how much chance there is that this will hit you, using only download with check-sums etc... not visiting faulty sites, only install software that you can trust to the best knowledge, .... etc... then you do not need to be paranoid ihmo.
If you only believe the extremes you've quoted... you should consider to leave the internet.... yes they are al bits and bytes... yes some combinations of them are tricky... but when you take care there is a lot to enjoy...

GarryRicketson

#13 Post by GarryRicketson »

by xenon » I don't think I'm paranoid when I know the NSA builds in hardware viruses, in any device, mobile or not, how else can USA tap French President Hollande and German Bundeskansler Merkel, the hardware virus trick leaked out, whole world can now tap them, even Christchurch's Long John Silver Imitators Society :D , and now we have no democracy in the world anymore :(
Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!
- Obviously political/ religious content
Well now, the OP has decided to change the original topic totally,
If it is going to be a discussion on "world politics", it should be in "off topic".
perhaps ?

dasein

#14 Post by dasein »

GarryRicketson wrote:If it is going to be a discussion on "world politics", it should be in "off topic".
perhaps ?
Jailhouse FTW!

xenon

#15 Post by xenon »

dasein wrote:
GarryRicketson wrote:If it is going to be a discussion on "world politics", it should be in "off topic".
perhaps ?
Jailhouse FTW!
To the Gulag