Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

CD Collection list

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Bslats

CD Collection list

#1 Post by Bslats »

I have been transferring my CD collection to FLAC and putting it on a portable drive.and would like to print out a list of the collection.( artist- Album-year)

I have not found any Linux (open source) just Windows apps.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

dasein

Re: CD Collection list

#2 Post by dasein »

Bslats wrote:I have not found any Linux (open source) just Windows apps.
I'd be genuinely curious to know what query terms you used for the search that you imply you ran.

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
How to transfer CD s to FLAC on a Debian system
https://wiki.debian.org/Ripping
Ripping - Debian Wiki
https://wiki.debian.org/Ripping Proxy
7 Jan 2016 ... ripping audio CDs with pacpl; ripping audio CDs to MP3s with Sound Juicer ... Audio-CDs and convert it to various audio file formats such as FLAC, WAV, OGG .... above will deliver perfectly acceptable sound on most systems.
Probably not much help, but that is what I do, and those are the key words , I tried.
from the wiki: Fortunately we Debian users have access to many services and software packages to assist us with these problems.
The OP did not say, if they are using Debian, but changing the "Debian" to "Linux"
might give a wider range of results for Linux in general.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#4 Post by 4D696B65 »

Op is running stable with xfce4

Do you want to get the strings (name, album,etc) from the file name or the tags?

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

I just searched for "collection manager" in Synaptic, and came up with a couple suggestions:

gogglesmm: Goggles Music Manager plays and manages your collection. Import/Export music library and play lists to XSPF,PLS,Extended M3U,M3U and CSV. Would be better for a light desktop such as xfce4.

tellico: KDE collection manager. Can also export lists. "Heavier" than gogglesmm.
MX Linux packager and developer

kalwisti

#6 Post by kalwisti »

Hi, Bslats,

I'm interpreting your question along the same lines as stevepusser ... If a collection manager is what you're looking for, you might find the link below helpful:

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20091 ... agers.html

(I used Tellico a bit many years ago [in KDE 3.5x days], but haven't touched it since then. I don't have experience with any of the other programs mentioned).

Another option to consider is building your own custom database with LibreOffice Base.
Registered Linux User # 442201

Debian 12.1 "Bookworm" Xfce (64-bit)

Lenovo ThinkCentre M800 SFF: Intel Core i3-6100, 16 GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 530

Bslats

#7 Post by Bslats »

Thanks for the replies

To clarify: I have FLAC files on a portable drive (EAC / Win :roll: ) so a tagging prog is not a requirement.
I'm looking to generate a list of all the artists and their albums that is in my CD collection, so that it can be exported/ printed... etc

Thanks to kalwisti and stevepusser, for their input and search efforts/suggestions.
I was searching for simple prog that would give me a print out of the CD's in the collection, and was not thinking in the direction of a music/ collection manager per say.

dasein wrote:
Bslats wrote:I have not found any Linux (open source) just Windows apps.
I'd be genuinely curious to know what query terms you used for the search that you imply you ran.
Nothing has been implied!
As a newbie to all things Linux (Debian) and a low to medium overall computer" know how", I get frustrated easy and to my knowledge, forums are the place to contact those that are in the Know. As this was posted in the general discussion area, my intentions were to start a thread to get feed back from those who have had experience with said programs.

Again thanks for the helpful input :D

i

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Bslats wrote:To clarify: I have FLAC files on a portable drive (EAC / Win :roll: ) so a tagging prog is not a requirement.
I'm looking to generate a list of all the artists and their albums that is in my CD collection, so that it can be exported/ printed... etc
Sounds like a job for awk.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

kalwisti

#9 Post by kalwisti »

Bslats wrote:Thanks for the replies
You're welcome. :) i'm not an advanced user, either, so I try to answer questions that aren't "over my head," with the hope that I can offer some useful information, without misleading the original poster.
To clarify: I have FLAC files on a portable drive (EAC / Win :roll: ) so a tagging prog is not a requirement.
Scripting languages such as awk (as suggested by dilberts_left_nut) can be very powerful, but they definitely have a learning curve. I'm guessing that you would likely prefer a one-off, quick-and-dirty solution with a GUI-based program ... I'm also assuming that you would want to do this task within Windows. Although you didn't indicate which program you're currently using to play/manage your music, I did some searching and found a couple of links which might point you towards a solution:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/audio ... n-3580353/
Monckton, Paul. "How to catalogue your digital music collection: Create a list of your Windows Media Player library." 15 Oct. 2014.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/46 ... 0&tstart=0
Apple Support Forum. "How do I export artist/album list to text file? iTunes 11, Win7.64bit."

HTH and Good luck.

Lenovo ThinkCentre M800 SFF: Intel Core i3-6100, 16 GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 530

Bslats

#10 Post by Bslats »

Just browsed awk, and the learning curve would be a little steep at this point, although it looks very powerful,( thanks dilberts_left_nut)

I have a desk top that is running Win 8 and Laptop with Debian 8, so I can go either way but I am exploring Linux in order to get away from the Microsoft overlords, and yes GUI would be gentler at this point.

At this point I'm exploring all options within Debian, and appreciate all constructive input.

:D

GarryRicketson

#11 Post by GarryRicketson »

A little off topic, but on the "search terms", I have had the same problem often when I try searching, and even when I specifically say " such and such software for Debian, " or "Linux", I get a lot , way to much "Windows", and Micro Soft, mixed in, it is almost as if they have some sort of "influence" over "google" and even "startpage", to force their sites to get promoted. anyway it can make doing a good search more difficult.

kalwisti

#12 Post by kalwisti »

Bslats wrote:I have a desk top that is running Win 8 and Laptop with Debian 8, so I can go either way but I am exploring Linux in order to get away from the Microsoft overlords, and yes GUI would be gentler at this point.
I also found this article, which has nice step-by-step instructions; it looks like it could work (assuming that you're using Windows Media Player):

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Printable ... dia-Player
"How to Save a Printable List of Your Songs in Windows Media Player."

Once you have saved the text file of your music collection, even if the result is jumbled/messy, it sounds like you can open the file in Excel (or LibreOffice Calc, or Gnumeric) and easily arrange it in columns and rows. (You might have to change the .txt file extension to .csv ... I'm not sure about that).

You needn't apologize for being a beginner; none of us were born knowing Linux, and everyone has had to learn gradually. I've been running it since 2007, and at times I feel that I've barely scratched the surface. I'm grateful to the many helpful members of various distros' forums, who have kindly and patiently explained things as I've run into problems -- problems which were often of my own making. :oops:

Could I make a suggestion/request? When you find a solution that works for you, please post back here and let folks know what you did. That way, it can serve as a reference for other users who might have this same problem in the future.

< Edit:

Another option (which I thought of after posting this), within Windows and assuming you have a copy of MS Access, is to create a CD database with Access. That might be easier than puzzling through LibreOffice Base for the first time. WikiHow has a tutorial with step-by-step instructions:

http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-Track-of-Yo ... oft-Access >
Last edited by kalwisti on 2016-02-29 19:42, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

If you know of a Windows app that does what you want, see if you can find a Linux alternative at http://alternativeto.net/
MX Linux packager and developer

Rocky Bennett

#14 Post by Rocky Bennett »

This is a very informative thread for me because I think that one day I might want to catalog my collection, although I can't really see any reason to do this. I have a little collection of about 6,000 CDs that I started transferring to my computer database about 7 years ago, and sometimes I feel that I am getting really close to completing the project, I have over 95% of my collection stored as high resolution WAV files. This project certainly has taken many years and man hours, but I don't see any reason to catalog them. If I want to play an album, I just open up my main music collection and the digital music collection is filed just like the physical music collection, alphabetically and chronologically. I can't see how a catalog would come in handy.

Rocky Bennett

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#15 Post by steve_v »

When I first aquired a machine capable of decoding MP3 in realtime ;), I encoded this information in the file/directory layout, eschewing ID3 tags as they took too long to read. This structure still exists, (though the MP3s do not, now all FLAC) so such a list is a job for 'find' :).

You could also do this with find + tag tool + awk. Or perl, of course.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Rocky Bennett

#16 Post by Rocky Bennett »

I talked to my wife about this thread and creating some kind of catalog for our CD collection and she agreed with me; Why? What Earthly purpose would it serve. Then we began to discuss fires and floods and and death, and we could see that maybe a catalog might come in handy. But I have over $125,000 invested in my CD collection, the best I could hope to receive from an insurance company is just $3,000, at 50 cents a disc. I am not going to catalog my collection for that, photos will serve my insurance company just as well.

Rocky Bennett