Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problem with X

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
NeverLie

Problem with X

#1 Post by NeverLie »

G'Day there , My first time here, great Forum.
My problem is I am using a debian based distro in Kanotix(excellent), & I upgraded from XFree86 to Xorg & everything was great for a while.
But then I saw a nother package I thought was related to Xorg ,but I cant remember exactly what it was called ? then when it was time 4 synaptic to install it after downloading, it asked which one I wanted as my default server "Xorg" the one I was using, or the new "xorg!!!" that I thought was just a addon for the xorg I was already using. and I chose the new package. now I cant get my X to start.
AnyWay I was hoping if someone new if there was away I could change back to the original "Xorg" ? maybe by editing a file, but i'm not sure which file it is. Also is there away I could find out what the name of this Xorg pkg was so that maybe I can uninstall it & reinstall the original Xorg if that would work that is?
apparently there is a command I can type that might give me the packages installed that start with or have " Xorg" in it?
Sorry for a tough first up question.

phaeton

#2 Post by phaeton »

I think the /var/log/dpkg.log file keeps a history of packages installed with synaptic. You could look at that file to see what was installed and try to remove it.

NeverLie

#3 Post by NeverLie »

Thanks phaeton, I have found the package I should not of installed "xserver-xorg-dbg"
AnyWay do you or anyone no which file it is I can edit where I can cause "kdm" instead of "xdm" to load when I type startx or when logging in?

phaeton

#4 Post by phaeton »

If kdm is already installed, you can type

Code: Select all

dpkg-reconfigure kdm
as root to reselect it.

NeverLie

#5 Post by NeverLie »

Thanks again, but changing to kdm didn't work either. I also tried "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" & tried resetiing some things with no luck either.
Not sure now what I need to do-maybe be a wimp & reinstall & dont make this mistake again? I might search a little more though.

piper

#6 Post by piper »

After you reinstall, install xorg like this

Alt + Ctrl + F1 --> login as root
init 3
apt-get update ,
update-scripts-kanotix.sh,
apt-get install xserver-xorg
apt-get dist-upgrade (just do a plain upgrade not dist-upgrade till things settle down)
/etc/init.d/x11-common start
apt-get clean
fix-fonts
reinstall ATi/ nVidia drivers (if necessary)
init 5 & exit