Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

As a power user what problems can I face with testing?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
TonyVanDam

Re: As a power user what problems can I face with testing?

#21 Post by TonyVanDam »

Innovate wrote:Seriously, I've less problem with Stretch Testing more than Jessie Stable.
On Jessie I can't find the way to solve wallpaper reset itself every time I restart/shut down my pc on XFCE 4.10 session
On Stretch I've already fixed that XFCE4.12 workspace too long by just turn off the dual monitor.
Overall I don't have much problem with Stretch I used to have more living hell on Jessie Stable.

I also start to wondering why Debian unstable & Arch bleeding edges are treat so differently.
Arch ppl always boast about their stable & bleeding edge releases softwares.
If Debian Testing that scary wouldn't Arch bleeding edge more horrifying?
Arch is a lot closer to the level of Debian Experimental than Debian Testing.

djwyman

#22 Post by djwyman »

I run sid on an unimportant laptop with for the simple fact that I expect things to break...in fact when they do (they don't much oddly enough or at least not as big as some people here are making it sound) I consider it a challenge to figure out how to fix it and I don't consider my self a "power user", programmer, or any stuff like that...in fact in my professional life I am a Ford automotive technician. I just like learning how to fix stuff. I do like sid for the reason of it being newer software but like others have said if you want reliable stick to stable. I don't like the testing branch of Debian because it is behind sid so if something is messed up it can take time to get fixed.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#23 Post by sunrat »

I'm a power user. My system takes about 350 watts. ;)
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

millpond

#24 Post by millpond »

djwyman wrote:I run sid on an unimportant laptop with for the simple fact that I expect things to break...in fact when they do (they don't much oddly enough or at least not as big as some people here are making it sound) I consider it a challenge to figure out how to fix it and I don't consider my self a "power user", programmer, or any stuff like that...in fact in my professional life I am a Ford automotive technician. I just like learning how to fix stuff. I do like sid for the reason of it being newer software but like others have said if you want reliable stick to stable. I don't like the testing branch of Debian because it is behind sid so if something is messed up it can take time to get fixed.
There is a third way.

For apps that are not integrated into the system, such as vlc or vuze or firefox, where bleeding edge may confer advantages (often they do not) - it may be best to get from developer page and install into /opt.

This takes them out of the distro and its update cycle. Which can be a good thing - as it allows for more personal preferences. I have the latest firefox here, but this is being written on my preferred Firefox 22 that lives in /Opt - and never has to worry about being overwritten.

Also, most problems with 'new' upstream releases should be solvable by backporting them.