Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Empty /etc/apt/source.list on install?

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
trusty_tiger

Empty /etc/apt/source.list on install?

#1 Post by trusty_tiger »

Does anyone know why my source list was empty upon install? I checked for any South African mirrors and found a few, although they seem to be scarce. Can anyone help me with more source addresses I may need?

Thanks in advance.

kedaha

Re: Empty /etc/apt/source.list on install?

#2 Post by kedaha »

apt obviously wasn't configured when Debian was installed probably because the network wasn't connected or something.
Anyway, you might try the redirector; for information see http.debian.net when the file should look like this Example_sources.list_for_Debian_8_.22Jessie.22 assuming you installed stable.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

sgosnell

Re: Empty /etc/apt/source.list on install?

#3 Post by sgosnell »

Just in case it wasn't a typo, there is no source.list file. It should be /etc/apt/sources.list, sources not source. With computers, spelling counts.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.