Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Do GNU/Linux users keep a dog/cat as a pet?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
edbarx

Do GNU/Linux users keep a dog/cat as a pet?

#1 Post by edbarx »

Since GNU/Linux requires more time to configure and use, the question as to whether such users keep a dog or a cat as a pet becomes tempting... Recently, I adopted a puppy, and would like to know whether a Linux user is compatible to keep a pet which normally take time to look for and take for walks. This is a mixed breed puppy with Fox Terrier facial characteristics. I am calculating the puppy will weigh somewhere around 10Kg when it grows into an adult.

[ Moderators/Administrators: If you deem the subject is unacceptable, delete the thread ]
Last edited by edbarx on 2016-04-22 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

GarryRicketson

Re: Do GNU/Linux users keep a dog/cat as a pet?

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

The results here are rather interesting,
Is a Linux user is compatible to keep a pet
a Linux user
The problem is, this implies all linux users are the same, I am sure some linux user have pets and are quite compatible with them.
Not the same as a dog, but I have 2 baby parrots, and at this time they both have to be fed with a "eye dropper", or by mouth, I chew the food up for them and give it to them via my mouth, I don't have any problem finding the time, and they enjoy sitting on my shoulder and watch me at the computer, after they have been fed. Before they are fed, they will not leave me alone, and make it kind of hard to do anything.

However since my system is all ready configured, and does not take much time to use, this does give me a advantage.
Oh and then their is the cats, and one just had kittens, the dogs in our family are usually taken care of by my grand daughter , so they are a non issue for me.
When I need information on pet care, and with Debian and linux, it is easy and fast to do a search and find the information I need about taking care of them.
A windows user might not be able to care for a pet very well, since they are more limited, and have to depend on a OS that is pre-installed, they are not capable of configuring anything. And from what I see on the forum, most do not know how to do any searches, or maybe it is just because that takes to long using windows. Besides that they are probably to busy constantly updating their anti-virus software, and all that junk needed to keep it working.
But any way, back to "linux users", I think most would not have any problems taking care of a pet. There might be some that just don't like pets though, and ones like that should not have a pet. Just remember, dogs are "cute" when they are little puppies, but when they get bigger,..well they really should be kept out doors, and be able to go for walks and things like that.

bester69

#3 Post by bester69 »

yes, but no cats or dogs, ill show you my two pets playing in the garden, they are two years old, and its names are Jessie and Stretch: :mrgreen:

they are soo cute ..

bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

I don't have a pet but maybe a cat would be compatible with trying linuxfromscratch...
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

edbarx

#5 Post by edbarx »

kedaha wrote:I don't have a pet but maybe a cat would be compatible with trying linuxfromscratch...
:lol:

You certainly mean Linux from scratching oneself down to the bones by trying to build everything from source.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#6 Post by oswaldkelso »

I'm just waiting for all the fvwm users to appear

http://fvwm.org/fvwm-cats/

We Dragora users prefer Dragons....

I just try and avoid looking them straight in the eye, because dragons can read minds and see if we're telling porkies. I Know this is true because I was once married to a dragon.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

fsmithred

#7 Post by fsmithred »

Dogs do require more attention than cats. Since linux is a big player in IOT, you should be setting up your system to run cron jobs to control automatic feeding, watering and opening a little doggie door to the outside. You might even be able to get voice recognition software to recognize a few different barks that the dog uses to communicate its needs.

I'm not suggesting that you use this to replace quality time with your dog, but there will be times you want to go out for longer than he can keep his little legs crossed.

I had a cat. She'd sit on my lap when I was at the computer. She never tried to type anything, play with the mouse, or do anything with any computer, except when she'd lie down on top of the server to keep warm.

Oh yeah - you'll need to clean out the fans more often. I was doing it about every two weeks when the computer was under the desk. Less often when I put it on top of the desk.

kedaha

#8 Post by kedaha »

OK. Try this if you need some feline or canine company:

# apt-get install oneko
# exit
$ oneko
:wink:
DebianStable

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

edbarx

#9 Post by edbarx »

This is clearly showing that Linux users do not usually own pets. Had it been the other way round, this thread would have not degenerated so quickly. With current laws criminalising animal neglect and cruelty, it understandable that many Linux users prefer to use their free time to tweak their OS and to 'help' fellow Linux users who post their questions on web fora.

golinux

#11 Post by golinux »

Anyone needing a pet to fill a void in their life needs therapy.
May the FORK be with you!

Head_on_a_Stick

#12 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=1098

Apparently I should have booked this shot with her agent...
:mrgreen:

I named her Sid 'cos she's unstable.
deadbang

spacex

#13 Post by spacex »

Sure we do :)

One of my dogs:

The other one:

And together:

Love them more than anything and everything :)

edbarx

#14 Post by edbarx »

golinux wrote:Anyone needing a pet to fill a void in their life needs therapy.
Anyone convinced of holding the absolute truth needs to get real.

golinux

#15 Post by golinux »

Eeeewwww! Double therapy needed!

edbarx

#16 Post by edbarx »

golinux wrote:Eeeewwww! Double therapy needed!
Double therapy indeed! What about someone getting offended simply by telling them to code, and because they don't know, they get offended? Golinux, you are not perfect, and if you search in everyone's psych, including your own, you will always end up finding some 'dust' that shouldn't be there.

To Mods/Admins: I have been polite and behaved civilly, however, I will not continue to behave that way, if golinux does not stop misbehaving.

No_windows

#17 Post by No_windows »

Two cats. The boy will jump out of my desk chair when I get close. I practically have to sit on the girl to get her out of the chair!

golinux

#18 Post by golinux »

edbarx wrote:Double therapy indeed! What about someone getting offended simply by telling them to code, and because they don't know, they get offended? Golinux, you are not perfect, and if you search in everyone's psych, including your own, you will always end up finding some 'dust' that shouldn't be there.
If there were no 'dust' none of us would be here. Samsara is the the cauldron where we all muck around over and over until we 'get' it and get out for good. Easy to say. Not so easy to accomplish. Attachments are an impediment to doing that. Perhaps that helps to clarify.

bse5150

#19 Post by bse5150 »

We had a dog, but he passed away. Never got another one.
There's no point in crying over spilled milk. Especially if you don't like milk. And if you don't have to clean it up, spill as much milk as you want.

spacex

#20 Post by spacex »

golinux wrote:Eeeewwww! Double therapy needed!
No therapy needed.There is no stronger connection than between man and dog. You should try it. It makes us more emphatic as human beings. Also towards humans...

Besides, they are great fun :)