Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

'Iceweasel' will be renamed 'Firefox'

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
golinux

Re: 'Iceweasel' will be renamed 'Firefox'

#21 Post by golinux »

Unification of distros is the name of the game in the new one-Linux-world. I have no doubt that is why this happened.
May the FORK be with you!

swirler

#22 Post by swirler »

mor wrote:
kedaha wrote:I see the "real Firefox" is now available…
Isn't Firefox on Debian still not "the real Firefox" in the same way Iceweasel "wasn't it" for some?

I mean, Debian is still applying those once infamous patches and stuff to it right, the only difference would be now the name and logo are unchanged.
That's kind of an interesting point, I'd like to know if Debian will just rename Iceweasel to Firefox (again) and keep applying these patches, or just re-package Firefox in a way that running a build from Mozilla won't make any difference at all.

dotlj

#23 Post by dotlj »

Stretch (KDE) has both Firefox and Firefox (ESR) included in default install.
Iceweasel is in the repository as a transitional package.

I bought some new hardware (i7-6700 with GTX950) that works much nicer in Stretch than Jessie.

edbarx

#24 Post by edbarx »

golinux wrote:Unification of distros is the name of the game in the new one-Linux-world. I have no doubt that is why this happened.
Golinux, golinux, you don't understand... This is defragmenting Linux as in repairing a broken antique vase. Beginners, especially businesspersons, see the wealth of Linux distributions as fragmentation. The reason?! It doesn't fit their business model.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

stevepusser

#25 Post by stevepusser »

edbarx wrote:
golinux wrote:Unification of distros is the name of the game in the new one-Linux-world. I have no doubt that is why this happened.
Golinux, golinux, you don't understand... This is defragmenting Linux as in repairing a broken antique vase. Beginners, especially businesspersons, see the wealth of Linux distributions as fragmentation. The reason?! It doesn't fit their business model.
Will the leader of the "New World Linux" be the AntiLinus? (secretly Bill Gate's son?)

Sorry, seen a lot of bad Christian Rapture movies lately.
MX Linux packager and developer

HuangLao

#26 Post by HuangLao »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
No_windows wrote:
stevepusser wrote:Since most Debian packages are patched, to be consistent, those people should also argue that Debian (and Ubuntu et al.) doesn't have the "real" versions of most anything in the repo.
That's what I was thinking. Doesn't that pretty much go for any distribution? Unless repos are directly shared, like SolydXK or Bunsenlabs use Debian repos, isn't it source code that is used by other distributions to make their version of something?
Not for Arch, most packages are supplied directly from upstream and are only patched if absolutely necessary.

I think Fedora & Slackware have a similar approach.
Yup, Slackware/Salix does not patch software except for security purposes. Programs are as vanilla as they come. Fedora I believe patches more than Slackware but less than Debian, Ubuntu and openSUSE are on the other end of patch as much as possible. Arch also patches more then Slack, but less then the others.

HuangLao

#27 Post by HuangLao »

I wonder why they did not go with IceCat as in the Trisquel maintained FSF browser?

edbarx

#28 Post by edbarx »

stevepusser wrote:Sorry, seen a lot of bad Christian Rapture movies lately.
You see, I told you not to watch those movies - they are bad for you! Now, be a good boy: go and say your prayers! :P
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.