Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Do GNU/Linux users keep a dog/cat as a pet?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.

Re: Do GNU/Linux users keep a dog/cat as a pet?

#41 Post by 1624 »

I have two cats.

Iines (her name) is 16 years old.

Lara (her name) is 8 years old.

Human years.
Debian 11 Bullseye XFCE 64-bit
HP Z230 Workstation

Ardouos

#42 Post by Ardouos »

Two tarantulas,

A mexican red leg and a costa rican tigar rump.

Both about two years old occupying one square foot each.
Last edited by Ardouos on 2016-06-11 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Head_on_a_Stick

#43 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

@Ardouos: pics please?

How do you sleep with those in the house?
:o
deadbang

Ardouos

#44 Post by Ardouos »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:@Ardouos: pics please?

How do you sleep with those in the house?
:o
They are in enclosures, its not like they will go anywhere. They are natures terrestrial goldfish :wink:

As requested:

Red Leg

Tiger Rump
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Head_on_a_Stick

#45 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Ardouos wrote:Tiger Rump
Cyclosternum Fasciatum -- is that Latin for "scary orange b*****d" then?
:P

But seriously, what amazing creatures, thanks for the pics!
:)
deadbang

Ardouos

#46 Post by Ardouos »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Ardouos wrote:Tiger Rump
Cyclosternum Fasciatum -- is that Latin for "scary orange b*****d" then?
:P
I am glad it isn't, I would say it is latin for "Runs away to its borrow at any opportunity".
Head_on_a_Stick wrote: But seriously, what amazing creatures, thanks for the pics!
:)
Your welcome, it is nice when people appreciate them.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Pick2

#47 Post by Pick2 »

I'm Back ! You didn't know I was gone ? Did you miss Me ?
We adopted a 3 months old puppy in April from a shelter , and on about July 25 while We were out shopping , he chewed thru the Ethernet and Internet Cables behind the Wife's desk :shock:
So yesterday , after a lot of preperations , I dragged My 63 year old ass 32 feet thru the crawl space and back to run new cables . :D
Calvin is half German Shepard and half T-Rex and at 6 months old he is already 63 Lbs. The vet says He will be about 120 Lbs full grown !
But we like big dogs 8)

GarryRicketson

#48 Post by GarryRicketson »

We do have cats and dogs, and the cats are kind of a problem for me, because
of my birds, I have a new addition to the "family", a "chanate",(broad-tailed grackle)

and then my parrots:

And of course, everything is done with Debian, fortunately it is reliable and stable
enough , I have plenty of free time for my pets.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-12-10 01:02, edited 1 time in total.

Ardouos

#49 Post by Ardouos »

GarryRicketson wrote: And of course, everything is done with Debian, fortunately it is reliable and stable
enough , I have plenty of free time for my pets.
Hats off to you, parrots are a life changing and rewarding pet to have. I wish I had the time and space to own one. :[

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Ardouos

#50 Post by Ardouos »

New Edition: Peruvian Dwarf Star Tarantula.

Cyriocosmus Sellatus

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

GarryRicketson

#51 Post by GarryRicketson »

There is no way my wife would allow me to keep spiders, in the house , ...
But really they are a good creature, and they eat flies,and other insects. I hate flies, so I like spiders for that reason.
There are some kinds of spiders that are really great to have in a garden,to
help keep some kinds of insects down.
There are more members here, then I expected that have pets, and
seem to enjoy telling about them,... so anyway I started this topic, on
a new forum , it would be nice to get a few posts to kind of give it a
"push" so to speak, if any body has the time, and is willing,..

Our Pets

If you don't want to be bothered with registering and all that, but want to
post , just PM me here, I will set up, and activate the account, and send the
password, the password can be changed in the "User Control Panel"
just like it is here.
Guess that is about it for now
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2016-11-16 02:04, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

#52 Post by GarryRicketson »

From http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 60#p646460

Re: What does your non-Debian desktop look like?

Postby Ardouos » 2017-06-12 06:58
Your birds are fantastic Garry. I would love to own one if I had the time.
Again, thanks,.... I decided to bump this old thread and write here,
since it would not be on topic in the "desktop" thread/topic.

Any way, for me they are the "center" of my life, now that I am retired,
they do take up most of my time, but I enjoy every moment with them.
I now have 17 ,... not all big parrots, just the 2 macaws are the biggest,..
The rest are smaller, and it was 16, but recently the little "pocket parrots",
the yellow ones,Mickey and Mini, had their first successful egg hatch.

They really struggled, the first batch of eggs was way back in January, 2 birds hatched , but did not survive,..the second batch of eggs, 1 hatched, but also died. On the 3rd batch,..nothing hatched, finally this time 1 hatched and is in good shape, it started coming out of the nest just a few days ago, can fly a little,
the father stays with it and is helping it learn it's way around.
The mother actually has more eggs, so I am hoping I get some more.
======================
I just now took this picture, they were in the nest, ...the "baby" is 6 weeks,
or more, and is almost as big as the parents.

/tmp

#53 Post by /tmp »

edbarx wrote:Since GNU/Linux requires more time to configure and use, the question as to whether such users keep a dog or a cat as a pet becomes tempting... Recently, I adopted a puppy, and would like to know whether a Linux user is compatible to keep a pet which normally take time to look for and take for walks. This is a mixed breed puppy with Fox Terrier facial characteristics. I am calculating the puppy will weigh somewhere around 10Kg when it grows into an adult.

[ Moderators/Administrators: If you deem the subject is unacceptable, delete the thread ]
What you guys are referring to as pets, is in fact, GNU/Pets, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Pets. Puppies are not self reliant, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many pet owners run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Pets", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really are pets, and these people are enjoying them, but it is just a part of the system they use. Puppies live in a kennel: the structure in the system that allocates the dog's resources to the other pets that you keep. The kennel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Pets are normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with pets added, or GNU/Pets. All the so-called "Pet" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Pets.
Bookworm | Intel I7-3667U | Apple Macbook Air 5,2 (Mid 2012) (Laptop) | 8 GB RAM | 3rd Gen Intel Core Graphics

GarryRicketson

#54 Post by GarryRicketson »

Yes, and then there is also this :
https://docs.parrotsec.org/doku.php
Getting Started with Debian

The Parrot Project is based on top of the testing branch of Debian GNU/Linux, then most of the Debian documentation is valid for parrot too.

The following is a list of good Debian resources every Parrot user should know

The Debian Administrator's Handbook, the comprehensive user manual
Debian Reference, a terse user's guide with the focus on the shell command line
The Debian Wiki

GarryRicketson

#55 Post by GarryRicketson »

I just uploaded some images, mostly to give a example of using the 'scp' command, needed to upload them any way,...http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 62#p659862

Code: Select all

$ scp *.JPG myusername@serverIP:/path/to/destination/directory/images/
    myusername@serverIP's password:
    SAM_1945.JPG                                           100%  317KB 157.4KB/s   00:02   
    SAM_1946.JPG                                           100%  316KB 314.3KB/s   00:01   
    SAM_1947.JPG                                           100%  319KB 327.7KB/s   00:00   
    SAM_1948.JPG                                           100%  318KB 352.4KB/s   00:00   
    SAM_1949.JPG                                           100%  316KB 331.4KB/s   00:00   
    a-bryan.JPG                                            100%  316KB 333.8KB/s   00:00   
    a-george.JPG                                           100%  317KB 354.5KB/s   00:00   
    a-panchito.JPG                                         100%  311KB 309.1KB/s   00:01   
    b-bryan.JPG                                            100%  313KB 311.0KB/s   00:01   
    bryan-11-2017.JPG                                      100%  320KB 159.1KB/s   00:02   
    bryan-a-11-2017.JPG                                    100%  313KB 312.2KB/s   00:01   
    c-bryan.JPG                                            100%  316KB 315.2KB/s   00:01   
    mickyandmini-innest.JPG                                100%  319KB 318.4KB/s   00:01   
    mini-in-nest.JPG                                       100%  316KB 314.1KB/s   00:01   
    $

but any way, they are kind of cute, so I decided to share them here:
http://parrotsandopenbsd.org/myforum/viewtopic.php?id=2
==========================================

I don't know how I find the time any more, I have over 45 birds, various parrots, and many have nests with eggs, so more are coming,.... Bryan, shown in the photos is kind of special though, he gets the most attention.
===========
On the technical side of it, this is a shell script, I use (I use ksh, don't know if it works in other shells) any way, I just type:

make-tmb
and the script does the rest

for file in *JPG; do
    new_file=`echo $file | sed 's/.jpg$//'`
    convert -resize 25% $file $new_file-tmb.jpg
    #jpegoptim ... $new_file-tmb.jpg
mv *.JPG-tmb.jpg tmb

done 
It does need to be in the same dir , where I have the images to resize, and there must be a sub dir, named "tmb" made first, it does not make the dir,
also I am not the original author of the script, but I modified a script that someone wrote, to suit my needs. Off hand don't have the original authors name handy,...

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#56 Post by None1975 »

Here is mine :D My cat name is Ogis
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

Head_on_a_Stick

#57 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

@Garry, your parrot is absolutely adorable — is that his Tigger toy he is playing with?

@None1975, Ogis is gorgeous!

Here are my mum's horses (click on the image for a full-sized version):

That was taken over a year ago so the foal is quite a bit bigger now :)
deadbang

ticojohn

#58 Post by ticojohn »

No pets here, but I have seen over 40 different species of birds in my back yard here in Costa Rica. On any given day there are at least 10 different species. Perhaps the most interesting bird I've seen is a Crowned Motmot. The Costa Ricans call them Pajaro Bobo, which means clown bird. For a long time I wondered why and then after observing their behavior it became clear. They do some really dumb things, like instead of going over or around a chain link fence they may crawl trough it to get to the other side. Bizarre indeed. But they are interesting to watch. I can appreciate Garry Ricketsons love of the parrots but as for myself there are other things to do with my life. Like Beer and Tequila. LOL!
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

GarryRicketson

#59 Post by GarryRicketson »

To long to full quote:http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 45#p646481
Many pet owners run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Pets", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
My favourite "pet", and many Linux / GNU users have one as well, even if they are not aware of it, all though there has been some publicity on this, leading
to a lot of myths, fears, even jealousy to some extent,... my pet racoon,
"Rocky".
======================
http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/intel/
The only thing that would have been nice is that after the project had been finished and the chip deployed, that someone from Intel would have told me, just as a courtesy, that MINIX was now probably the most widely used operating system in the world on x86 computers. That certainly wasn't required in any way, but I think it would have been polite to give me a heads up, that's all.
My point is that big companies with lots of resources and expertise sometimes use microkernels, especially in embedded systems. The L4 microkernel has been running inside smartphone chips for years. I certainly hope Intel did thorough security hardening and testing before deploying the chip, since apparently an older version of MINIX was used. Older versions were primarily for education and newer ones were for high availability. Military-grade security was never a goal.
========================================
the ME-11 management engine chip used on almost all recent desktop and laptop computers in the world. I
I don't have this, my computer is older, and does not have that chip,... but in any event, using Minix is a good choice, the problem, the Intel techs did not know enough to do much thorough security hardening.
One possible solution, remove what they installed, and install a "open" newer version, and make sure one does proper security hardening,...
Any way, I enjoy my pet Racoon, Rocky, and it is fun learning from him, experimenting , etc.

stevepusser

#60 Post by stevepusser »

Does it count if wild animals like coyotes get used to you and follow along with your walks at night?

Wanting treats on Halloween night...
MX Linux packager and developer