Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

firefox-esr poor performance

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
child

firefox-esr poor performance

#1 Post by child »

Yesterday i upgraded my packages, and now Iceweasel is gone. It worked just right, now i have firefox-esr. After some hours of googling, i managed to turn off some new 'features' in it, but the worst of it remains: it's very slow while playing html5 video, being unresponsive for more than 5 seconds while playing something from youtube.

I had no custom changes in about:config, I've also kept all plugins, tried purging firefox (including the user directory), enabling/disabling/reinstalling all the plugins, but it doesn't make it any faster. Has anyone else had this problem after the upgrade? How can it be solved?

No_windows

Re: firefox-esr poor performance

#2 Post by No_windows »

I just switched to ESR in hopes it would speed thing up for me. I've been tracking the Mozilla Debian repo, and was using 47. Lately, it was lagging* a lot. I've only begun to use ESR, so I don't know if it's better or not.

*lagging: I mean everything, not just video. It would freeze for several seconds.
Last edited by No_windows on 2016-06-11 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

Alex.K

#3 Post by Alex.K »

I have the same problem after the upgrade, while watching HTML5 videos on youtube sound lacks behind the video by about 3-4 seconds. However, I do not know how to solve this, and, therefore, had switched to chromium for watching HTML5 videos where they work perfectly.
>.>

emariz

#4 Post by emariz »

Does this HTML5-related issue persists on a new profile?

Alex.K

#5 Post by Alex.K »

Yes it persists with a new profile, but this phenomena with the sound only affects youtube videos which are at 60fps (720p60, 1080p60) in Firefox. If watching simple 720p, 1080p the playback is as expected.
>.>

#6 Post by 1624 »

Firefox ESR works like a charm to here. HTML5 Youtube videos playes just fine.

Edit:
"60fps (720p60, 1080p60" thouse i cant test. I don't even know howto change that... So never mind :)

Edit:
I just tested 1080p60. Yep. 3-4 sec it just wait. But i have Dual core so thats just fine ;)

Funny this site doesnt mark as edited. So i wrote that my self.
Debian 11 Bullseye XFCE 64-bit
HP Z230 Workstation

child

#7 Post by child »

emariz wrote:Does this HTML5-related issue persists on a new profile?
Yes, sorry for not being clear, the user directory i was referring to, was the ~/.mozilla folder.
And my computer was able to play videos in 1080p while I was also playing video games, now with firefox-esr, it gets so bad I can barely use the browser at times anymore.

emariz

#8 Post by emariz »

child wrote:And my computer was able to play videos in 1080p while I was also playing video games, now with firefox-esr, it gets so bad I can barely use the browser at times anymore.
Users tracking the release version of Firefox faced issues related to Media Source Extensions about two years ago, but those tracking ESR may be experiencing these issues for the first time. I do not know what exactly is causing the issues that you describe, but MSE and its multiple codecs might be a starting point.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... patibility
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/06/mozill ... irefox-42/

Bulkley

#9 Post by Bulkley »

Have you tried using the VLC Web plugin?

child

#10 Post by child »

Turning MSE off had no effect i could tell on performance, and the vlc plugin did not work for me.

Red Baron

#11 Post by Red Baron »

I'm also experiencing the same issues. I have been struggling with this ever since the update rolled out via update in Debian Jessie (approx. 2-3 weeks ago). At first I thought that the issue was in YouTube's player (which was where I detected the problem first) since Google tends to poke around with it relatively often leading to various performance problems. However I checked it out on other websites with HTML5 video and the issue was present everywhere. In addition to that Adobe Flash player has fluent sound but choppy video or vice versa. I have to mention that before the update to Firefox ESR the latest Iceweasel version on Debian Jessie (which got replaced by the update to ESR) was working perfectly fine. This is annoying as ***** and I'm basically forced to use Chrome because of that. I don't mind dumping Flash (even though many streaming services for media content still use it (God damn them...) but having p@ss-poor performance for HTML5 videos is just terrible user experience.

maximus1978

#12 Post by maximus1978 »

child wrote:Yesterday i upgraded my packages, and now Iceweasel is gone. It worked just right, now i have firefox-esr. After some hours of googling, i managed to turn off some new 'features' in it, but the worst of it remains: it's very slow while playing html5 video, being unresponsive for more than 5 seconds while playing something from youtube.

I had no custom changes in about:config, I've also kept all plugins, tried purging firefox (including the user directory), enabling/disabling/reinstalling all the plugins, but it doesn't make it any faster. Has anyone else had this problem after the upgrade? How can it be solved?
I had this problem on all my debian 7 and debian 8 machines. I installed debian 9 and had the same issues. Seems some process "Web Content" is eating up the CPU. Problem did start when Firefox took over iceweasel.

I tried Chromium in Debian 9 and it performs a lot better then Firefox. Something is really wrong with Firefox. I am trying Chromium with the machines that had issues and so far it is performing well on all the machines.

Code: Select all

apt-get install chromium

Bulkley

#13 Post by Bulkley »

Firefox-esr works well. I have it in both Stretch and Wheezy. No problems. I think that those of you having problems with it have something hanging up. Have any of you renamed ~/.mozilla and restarted Firefox-esr as emariz suggested? I'm thinking of a configuration left over from IceWeasel.

Try

# updatedb
# locate iceweasel
Anything left hanging around?

Try removing Flash completely. Still have problems?

Try turning off all plugins and extensions.

maximus1978

#14 Post by maximus1978 »

Bulkley wrote:Firefox-esr works well. I have it in both Stretch and Wheezy. No problems. I think that those of you having problems with it have something hanging up. Have any of you renamed ~/.mozilla and restarted Firefox-esr as emariz suggested? I'm thinking of a configuration left over from IceWeasel.

Try

# updatedb
# locate iceweasel
Anything left hanging around?

Try removing Flash completely. Still have problems?

Try turning off all plugins and extensions.
What is your hardware?
Can you post lspci?

PhilGil

#15 Post by PhilGil »

I've taken a performance hit since the upgrade to Firefox-ESR 52.x, too. Not specifically with multimedia, but in general v52 feels more sluggish. Plus RAM usage has skyrocketed - with four tabs open the combined firefox-esr and Web Content processes are using almost 1GB of RAM. I suspect the poor performance and high resource use are related to the introduction of multiprocess - I don't think Mozilla had it dialed in yet when version 52 was released. I've been meaning to give the release version a shot to see if performance has improved since.

I don't have an especially low-speced machine. I'm using a desktop PC with an i5 Sandy Bridge processor and 8GB of RAM. I don't have Flash installed in Firefox.

milomak

#16 Post by milomak »

a link to a video that causes the issue?
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

maximus1978

#17 Post by maximus1978 »

PhilGil wrote:I've taken a performance hit since the upgrade to Firefox-ESR 52.x, too. Not specifically with multimedia, but in general v52 feels more sluggish. Plus RAM usage has skyrocketed - with four tabs open the combined firefox-esr and Web Content processes are using almost 1GB of RAM. I suspect the poor performance and high resource use are related to the introduction of multiprocess - I don't think Mozilla had it dialed in yet when version 52 was released. I've been meaning to give the release version a shot to see if performance has improved since.

I don't have an especially low-speced machine. I'm using a desktop PC with an i5 Sandy Bridge processor and 8GB of RAM. I don't have Flash installed in Firefox.
I have disabled webm with the following steps. Getting much better performance and full screen too.

about:config

media.webm.enabled

Set this to false.

Is this the fix?

So far working on 4 of my machines.

HTML5 has issue with .webm format?

VentGrey

#18 Post by VentGrey »

I did experience a similar issue tho, I solved it by installing a weird extension called "SpeedyTweaks" & modifying the about:config tab, searched for any kind of browser animations, It's not a nice looking browser but it recovers it's speed. :mrgreen:
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.

maximus1978

#19 Post by maximus1978 »

VentGrey wrote:I did experience a similar issue tho, I solved it by installing a weird extension called "SpeedyTweaks" & modifying the about:config tab, searched for any kind of browser animations, It's not a nice looking browser but it recovers it's speed. :mrgreen:
What is your "media.webm.enabled" set at?

I set mine too false. This seems to have been my issue.

PhilGil

#20 Post by PhilGil »

maximus1978 wrote:
PhilGil wrote:I've taken a performance hit since the upgrade to Firefox-ESR 52.x, too. Not specifically with multimedia, but in general v52 feels more sluggish. Plus RAM usage has skyrocketed - with four tabs open the combined firefox-esr and Web Content processes are using almost 1GB of RAM. I suspect the poor performance and high resource use are related to the introduction of multiprocess - I don't think Mozilla had it dialed in yet when version 52 was released. I've been meaning to give the release version a shot to see if performance has improved since.

I have disabled webm with the following steps. Getting much better performance and full screen too.

about:config

media.webm.enabled

Set this to false.

Is this the fix?

So far working on 4 of my machines.

HTML5 has issue with .webm format?
I tried it and that doesn't seem to be my problem, although it may help other posters whose problems seem to be media-related. Mine is just general sluggishness. On a positive note, I did try the release version of Firefox (v54.x) and it seems to be a bit perkier, although RAM use is even worse.