Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Slackware discs

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
GMouse

Slackware discs

#1 Post by GMouse »

I have the three install discs to Slackware in with my other discs, but I don't know what to do with them. I burned them so that I could try out the distribution, but found it not to my taste, so I'm trying to find a new home for them, rather than consign them to my box of defunct, obsolete, or otherwise junked discs. Any ideas? If somebody wants them, I could ship them out for the cost of shipping.

Oh, and there are a few Ubuntu and Kubuntu 6.06 discs that need homes as well. I was thinking of leaving them out in a place that many people pass each day, kinda like AOL discs used to be, but don't know where would be good.

Pobega

#2 Post by Pobega »

From what I've heard the Slackware install CD makes for a good system rescue CD, so I'd keep it if I were you.
Jabber: pobega@gmail.com
Pronunciation: Poh - Bay - Guh

Noven

#3 Post by Noven »

I use old cd's and cds I dont use no more as costers for my desk so I dont get the glass surface all wet from my drinks =)

<(DmC)>

Re: Slackware discs

#4 Post by <(DmC)> »

GMouse wrote:I have the three install discs to Slackware in with my other discs, but I don't know what to do with them. I burned them so that I could try out the distribution, but found it not to my taste, so I'm trying to find a new home for them, rather than consign them to my box of defunct, obsolete, or otherwise junked discs. Any ideas? If somebody wants them, I could ship them out for the cost of shipping.

Oh, and there are a few Ubuntu and Kubuntu 6.06 discs that need homes as well. I was thinking of leaving them out in a place that many people pass each day, kinda like AOL discs used to be, but don't know where would be good.
i like your idea of distributing the cds among the people.spread the word. a school or university would probably be a good place to leave the cds for anyone interested to take them...
i used to be interested in slackware but now i think i'll save myself the troubleand just stick with debian, because i would probably come back to it sooner or later anyway :D
The moribund <(DmC)> salutes you
Highest excellence is like water.
The virtue of water appears in its benefiting all things,
and in its occupying, without striving,
the low place which all men dislike.

benuski

#5 Post by benuski »

This is why, when I decided I wanted to try lots of distros, the first thing I did was to go out and buy a pack of CD-RWs instead of CD-Rs. I just keep burning over stuff.

ghostdawg

#6 Post by ghostdawg »

Yes that is a good idea to give the discs away, especially to someone without broadband or a burner.

Slackware does make a great rescue disc, it will boot just about any distro that won't boot if the bootloader is messed up or whatnot.

I keep slackware around because it and Debian where the only distros in my early days of using linux that I could install without issues.
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

GMouse

#7 Post by GMouse »

ghostdawg wrote:Yes that is a good idea to give the discs away, especially to someone without broadband or a burner.

Slackware does make a great rescue disc, it will boot just about any distro that won't boot if the bootloader is messed up or whatnot.

I keep slackware around because it and Debian where the only distros in my early days of using linux that I could install without issues.
The thing is, isn't Knoppix a far more useful recovery platform? For instance, if X decides that it no longer wishes to load and you need to get online to IRC or some forums to find an answer.
<(DmC)> wrote:i like your idea of distributing the cds among the people.spread the word. a school or university would probably be a good place to leave the cds for anyone interested to take them...
Seeing as I haven't yet been able to escape university life.... :-D But that's for the Ubuntu discs. I think I would be doing everyone a disservice if I left the Slackware discs out for the business kids (my college). But if I were to try to leave some out at the university, where would be good? I think if I just left them out, they'd be picked up... by the janitor and tossed.

<(DmC)>

#8 Post by <(DmC)> »

Seeing as I haven't yet been able to escape university life.... :-D But that's for the Ubuntu discs. I think I would be doing everyone a disservice if I left the Slackware discs out for the business kids (my college). But if I were to try to leave some out at the university, where would be good? I think if I just left them out, they'd be picked up... by the janitor and tossed.
yes, you have a good point there. maybe the janitors are interested in linux!? :D --- i suppose a business college is not perfect for this. i was rather thinking of a computer science department where people would actually be interested... i know that there was a "free stuff" table at my former university , where people left stuff like this. never found any linux cds though... only guides for programming and such.
The moribund <(DmC)> salutes you
Highest excellence is like water.
The virtue of water appears in its benefiting all things,
and in its occupying, without striving,
the low place which all men dislike.

ghostdawg

#9 Post by ghostdawg »

The thing is, isn't Knoppix a far more useful recovery platform? For instance, if X decides that it no longer wishes to load and you need to get online to IRC or some forums to find an answer.
Well yes, I guess you have a point. I am talking about more hands on approach at fixing your borked installation.

But I guess more livecds would be a much better choice now days to get online and such.

Ahhh, the good ole days!
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

plb

#10 Post by plb »

ah slackware...brings back memories.

GMouse

#11 Post by GMouse »

This old thread. :)

Got an update for all interested. The organization that I'm in (on my way out out out! ) has taken a slight interest in my discs. I gave them the remainder of my (K)Ubuntu discs, my GParted disc (along with an explanation of what it is, with Knoppix, it's redundant for me), and a copy of the Open CD. All that's left are the three Slackware discs and KnoSciences.
For the sake of proper attribution, my avatar: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40999320/