Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian does it better

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Danielsan

Debian does it better

#1 Post by Danielsan »

I really don't like this journalist for his continued misleading articles about gnu and linux always in favor of the big names.

http://thenewstack.io/design-system-can ... -security/

And as usual also in this article he missed for sure the main theme, directly from the voice of Greg Kroah-Hartman:
The Debian community is doing an excellent job at taking those patches and keeping it updated.

“A non-profit organization built of volunteer people is doing a better job than some of the largest Linux providers out there. That’s insane. That’s bad. Base yourself on Debian or update your kernel overtime,” Kroah-Hartman said.
For sure nobody can trust in Ubuntu, Red Hat or Novell, those are moved for profit not for passion.

edbarx

Re: Debian does it better

#2 Post by edbarx »

I really don't like this journalist for his continued misleading articles about gnu and linux always in favor of the big names.
Huh, I will give a hint, is it about money?
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Debian rocks!
:)
deadbang

Danielsan

#4 Post by Danielsan »

edbarx wrote:Huh, I will give a hint, is it about money?
I don't think is about money but more about servility or psychological subjection, always better be by the part of the fittest.

It's about the last part of this article: http://www.infoworld.com/article/308626 ... ource.html
No, really the problem is with a fawning tech press that accepts anything that sounds like "open source community" as gospel truth, when a more critical analysis is needed.

swirling_vortex

#5 Post by swirling_vortex »

Danielsan wrote:For sure nobody can trust in Ubuntu, Red Hat or Novell, those are moved for profit not for passion.
You do realize he's talking about Android, right? The problem with those devices is that they don't security updates. It's in the paragraph above that.
However, running old kernel doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing. There are genuine reasons why people do run older kernels, and that is why Linux maintains LTS releases, updating them, largely thanks to Kroah-Hartman’s coordination work, with bug fixes long after the bulk of development work has moved on to newer versions of the kernel. But what good is fixing those older releases if companies are not pushing the patches to their Linux-dependent devices?
Red Hat has been back-porting security fixes to older kernels and other software before LTS was even a term. They wouldn't have been able to sell RHEL any other way.

Danielsan

#6 Post by Danielsan »

Of course, but I am not interested speaking about phone carriers. I would just empathizing that the community distros, with Debian on top, are better.