Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Optical mouse misbehaving.

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
edbarx

Optical mouse misbehaving.

#1 Post by edbarx »

I have an Acme optical mouse model MS04 which is intermittently stopping to respond while I am under XFCE4.10. I am using:

Code: Select all

uname -a
Linux edbarx-pc 3.2.0-4-rt-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 3.2.73-2+deb7u3 x86_64 GNU/Linux
CPU: T4400
Chipset: ICH9 (Intel)

The mouse misbehaves when I use it after it has been left idle for some time.

Any helpful hints are much appreciated.

Thanks.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Optical mouse misbehaving.

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

You could try opening up a terminal and running:

Code: Select all

dmesg -w
Then wait until the mouse misbehaves and see if any messages are written to the kernel ring buffer.

An intermittent problem would suggest hardware failure, either the mouse itself or the cable/connectors.

EDIT: Also, what does "misbehaves" actually mean?

If it just turns off, try disabling USB autosuspend:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... 0-or-above
deadbang

edbarx

#3 Post by edbarx »

I am associating the misbehaviour to a dark brown patch in the middle of the mouse pad. If I remember well optical mice are not sensitive to red/brown colours. If anyone can confirm this the solution would be as simple as replacing the mouse pad.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

pendrachken

#4 Post by pendrachken »

edbarx wrote:I am associating the misbehaviour to a dark brown patch in the middle of the mouse pad. If I remember well optical mice are not sensitive to red/brown colours. If anyone can confirm this the solution would be as simple as replacing the mouse pad.

Two wireless optical mice here - both on a very dark brownish red desk, neither has any tracking problems.

Why don't you grab a sheet of paper from a printer and put it over your mousepad and see if the problem persists? Easy, cheap, and simple test for the problem.

Also check the battery status ( if it is a wireless mouse ), it may be that the batteries are just plain getting weak and the receiver is just slightly out of range sometimes.
fortune -o
Your love life will be... interesting.
:twisted: How did it know?

The U.S. uses the metric system too, we have tenths, hundredths and thousandths of inches :-P