Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New Skype for Linux

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

New Skype for Linux

#1 Post by arochester »

"Skype has announced an alpha version of a new client for Linux. Given Skype’s ownership by Microsoft, will Linux users care? "

http://fossforce.com/2016/07/skype-fina ... ux-market/

GarryRicketson

Re: New Skype for Linux

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Well, this "linux" user doesn't, I don't use "Skype", in fact I honestly
do not know what it is for.
I notice on my cell phone there is a option for "Skype", but have never used it.
So I did a search key words, "what is skype for" ,
I can see why I don't need it, it does not do anything, that I can not do any way,
without it.
From a "about skype" site,.> if you pay a little, you can do more things, in more ways, with more people – like call phones, access WiFi or send texts
Hah , that is funny, Why would I want to pay a little, ?, I all ready can , call phone, access WIFI, and send text,...and more,... and all with out "skype".

HuangLao

#3 Post by HuangLao »

no need for it, its been known for years that they record every "call" made on/through it.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/is-skype-s ... ersations/

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/24/tech/web/ ... veillance/

Ardouos

#4 Post by Ardouos »

HuangLao wrote:no need for it, its been known for years that they record every "call" made on/through it.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/is-skype-s ... ersations/

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/24/tech/web/ ... veillance/
Some people just prefer the convenience over security. People I have spoken to to just say "I got nothing to hide", does this mean people would not care if I read all their mail when it came through the door too? :mrgreen:

Rhetorically speaking...
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

bester69

#5 Post by bester69 »

arochester wrote:"Skype has announced an alpha version of a new client for Linux. Given Skype’s ownership by Microsoft, will Linux users care? "

I cant do phone calls in this version, What the crap!! :x
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

kuroneko

#6 Post by kuroneko »

bester69 wrote:
arochester wrote:"Skype has announced an alpha version of a new client for Linux. Given Skype’s ownership by Microsoft, will Linux users care? "

I cant do phone calls in this version, What the crap!! :x
It's still in Alpha that's why but I guess it will get better.

I use Skype because I have friends that only use Skype and I'm happy to see a new version after like 2 years with no updates I just hope for the best. I would not use Skype if it was not for my friends who use nothing else other than that.

tuxserbia

New Skype for Linux

#7 Post by tuxserbia »

Already mentioned in other thread, old ginger droid, without gp, gps and other bloat from alphabet, just Gmail app for mail, and Skype for occasional calls. Not even front camera, maybe even better this way ;-)

Bulkley

#8 Post by Bulkley »

I agree with every criticism anyone has about Skype. It really is crap software. However, persuading relatives on the far side of the world to use something else is an uphill battle that I can't win. Skype has an undeserved user loyalty.

rovernut

#9 Post by rovernut »

Bulkley wrote:I agree with every criticism anyone has about Skype. It really is crap software. However, persuading relatives on the far side of the world to use something else is an uphill battle that I can't win. Skype has an undeserved user loyalty.
What are some good alternatives that work on Linux, Apple, Windows and Apple and Android phones?

I don't use Skype for anything I wouldn't write on a post card.
Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

Ardouos

#10 Post by Ardouos »

rovernut wrote: What are some good alternatives that work on Linux, Apple, Windows and Apple and Android phones?

I don't use Skype for anything I wouldn't write on a post card.
There will never be a direct replacement. The closest application that could "replace" it is the long awaited Tox, but it is still in development.

There is:
Tox (as already mentioned)
Firefox Hello
Google Hangouts
TeamSpeak
Mumble
Viber
Jitsi
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

gradinaruvasile

#11 Post by gradinaruvasile »

This Skype is essentially a web application bundled with some web engine, chromium probably. You get the same thing by going to web.skype.com in a browser. In Chrome you have audio calls ATM, video calls will follow.
This "webification" of Skype should in fact lessen the need of looking for a "replacement" (which is not working btw if you have non-technical or otherwise uninterested contacts, which is most of the use cases). The gripe until now was that the only available native Linux Skype client started not working in some cases or had other issues. Now Skype, just like Hangouts (ok, Hangouts has some no-standard quirks), uses webrtc so interaction with audio and video devices and stream routing etc is done by Chrome whiuch works well.

BTW open source wrappers such as ghetto-skye work better right now.

Danielsan

#12 Post by Danielsan »

Is Chrome or Chromium the same or does it works only with Chrome?

gradinaruvasile

#13 Post by gradinaruvasile »

It work on either. Both the unofficial ghetto-skype and the official alpha Linux Skype uses Chromium as engine (start the client, call echo test then launch pavucontrol, you will see that the recording/playback streams are named Chromium.

The Chrome specific features AFAIK are related to the built in Adobe plugin and other stuff related mainly to encrypted playback of copyrighted streams such as Netflix.

Danielsan

#14 Post by Danielsan »

Actually from chromium at the web page application I have enabled only the voice calling, I tried to install skype-ghetto but they suggest to install a nvm script and I don't want install it to try ghetto, I was unable to install ghetto-skype through npm.

gradinaruvasile

#15 Post by gradinaruvasile »

Only voice calling works via the web page now. Ghetto skype had some user agent modifications and it shown both video and audio active, but only audio calling works now.
And you don't need anything else beside the .deb file to install it.

Danielsan

#16 Post by Danielsan »

I haven't noticed this link... :shock:
Anyway I m not a fan to install packages outside the repository but I"ll try it.

https://github.com/stanfieldr/ghetto-skype/releases

Danielsan

#17 Post by Danielsan »

@ Gradinaruvasile

Hi, I Installed Ghetto-Skype, however the camera doesn't work it is my fault or is it not available yet?

Found the answer:
Video calls do not work and you have to initiate the audio call (if they call you, it wants you to install plugin). I'm currently looking at options to get around this.
It's a pity I would really like removing the multi-architecture...

gradinaruvasile

#18 Post by gradinaruvasile »

The web skype currently does not have video calling.

trinidad

#19 Post by trinidad »

I will certainly celebrate the introduction of this insecure, spy laden, dirty coded, waste of HDD space software called Skype. There are so many other better ways to video conference. Skype is junk.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

Danielsan

#20 Post by Danielsan »

I am sorry... Is it you Mr Stallman?

Very nice to met you!!! :mrgreen: