Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian gains Secure Boot support in sid

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
tomazzi

Re: Debian gains Secure Boot support in sid

#21 Post by tomazzi »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
tomazzi wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:The EFI system partition *must* be FAT-formatted.
UEFI firmware cannot read any other filesystem.
Correct - the UEFI firmware can't read "any other filesystem", but rEFInd can - and btrfs is supported in read-only mode.
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.
I'm talking about the possibility to boot the kernel directly off the btrfs partition.

This could be important factor, because UEFI has tons of bugs, and one of them is really interesting:
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/drivers.html
To the best of my knowledge, the best reason to want EFI driver support in rEFInd is to provide access to filesystems. Although EFI filesystem driver choices are currently somewhat limited, those that are available can help to improve your installation and configuration options, particularly if you've found yourself "boxed in" by awkward installation or bugs, such as the dinky ESP that Ubuntu creates by default or the bug that prevents a Linux kernel with EFI stub loader support from booting from the ESP of at least some Macs.
I suppose that one of trivial reasons for this bug can be that the kernel image file (or in fact any other file) has different physical representation under FAT and other filesystems, so buggy UEFI firmware has a lot of space for generating various errors, starting from wrong alignment of the image data in the memory (what will cause EFI loader to crash), ending up with wrong calculation of the file checksum -> SecureBoot will fail.

But I'm just guessing here.

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus

Head_on_a_Stick

#22 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I will try signing the Debian GRUB .efi loader and updating the key DB on my motherboard using the tools provided by Arch and report back...
Interesting result when I tried to sign the Debian sid kernel image with my (self-generated) keys:

Code: Select all

empty@Arch ~ % sudo sbsign --key db.key --cert db.crt /boot/sid/vmlinuz
Image was already signed; adding additional signature
I am now mounting /boot/efi in Debian to the ESP so that the kernel images are unpacked by APT directly.

EDIT: It seems that the Secure Boot implementation on my MB is b0rked, I will have to try different hardware.
deadbang

tuxserbia

#23 Post by tuxserbia »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
EDIT: It seems that the Secure Boot implementation on my MB is b0rked, I will have to try different hardware.

It seems to me lots of MBs are broken

https://rol.im/securegoldenkeyboot/

;-)

phenest

#24 Post by phenest »

tomazzi wrote:This could be important factor, because UEFI has tons of bugs, and one of them is really interesting:
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/drivers.html
To the best of my knowledge, the best reason to want EFI driver support in rEFInd is to provide access to filesystems. Although EFI filesystem driver choices are currently somewhat limited, those that are available can help to improve your installation and configuration options, particularly if you've found yourself "boxed in" by awkward installation or bugs, such as the dinky ESP that Ubuntu creates by default or the bug that prevents a Linux kernel with EFI stub loader support from booting from the ESP of at least some Macs.
I read somewhere that Macs don't use the ESP for booting. The ESP is there but used as a staging area for firmware updates instead. So it's not a bug, but Apple's alternative implementation of UEFI, I guess.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

tomazzi

#25 Post by tomazzi »

phenest wrote:Apple's alternative implementation of UEFI
There's no such thing as an "alternative" implementation - the standard is clear. If Apple would implement "a bad/unexpected behaviour", then it's simply no longer a "secure boot" - it's "something else" - an unspecified proprietary "solution"...

Regards.
Odi profanum vulgus