Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

can i install PLEX on debian jessie?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
debiman

#1 Post by debiman »

i'm running a neat little debian stable homeserver.
i would like to use some mediaserver on it, with the ability to stream to remote devices, particularly my android phone.
i have heard good things about plex, but it's not open source. also i'm not sure about the debian package advertised here:
Another thing I have added to the repo is Jessie (IF JESSIE IS RUNNING SYSTEMD).
This is just the ordinary Ubuntu package provided by PLEX.
(fishy part highlighted).

i guess i'm just asking what sort of experiences people have with plex on debian.
plus, i really don't want to break my stable server setup.
  • is there another plex debian source/repo?
  • is it possible to create a debian .deb from a ubuntu .deb without breaking my neat jessie setup?
  • should i add the sources from the link mentioned above?
  • how can i know if it's ok to use "just the ordinary ubuntu package"?
the forum search results are sparse, it looks like it works though.

my jessie is using systemd.

pylkko

Re: can i install PLEX on debian jessie?

#2 Post by pylkko »

Is a dlna server not enough for you? Do you need to transcode or something? A more simple way is to use a network share like samba or nfs, but then you wont get metadata and a library etc

tuxserbia

#4 Post by tuxserbia »

Worth a try MediaTomb?
http://mediatomb.cc/

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

thank you for all replies.

quick recap:
my most urgent requirement is video streaming to android phone.
so either a dedicated client or a working mobilefriendly web frontend.
for music, i'm happy with cherry music, so i need something that works for video, too.
i tried simply serving that part of my hd through apache, but it doesn't stream properly, my phone browser can't play it back, it requires some caching/protocol magic which is beyond me.
pylkko wrote:Is a dlna server not enough for you? Do you need to transcode or something? A more simple way is to use a network share like samba or nfs, but then you wont get metadata and a library etc
i don't need to transcode (or rather, the hardware the server is running on isn't up to the task).
why are you pointing out dlna? skimming the web i can't see why it would be particulalrly suitable for my requirements.
and the network share, would that even work remotely?

tuxserbia, mediatomb looks worth a try.

arochester, looks like a sensible howto.

pylkko

#6 Post by pylkko »

Ok, sorry. Maybe I was not using my brain or something. Now I realize that you mean that you want to stream to "remote" = outside of LAN.

How bad is the hardware? Maybe you can run a "cloud". Like OwnCloud on nginx and some video player extension. But maybe that is too heavy?

tuxserbia

#7 Post by tuxserbia »

Well, speaking of old, my headless "server" is actually an ordinary PC, dated maybe 2004, with P4, 2GB RAM, 40GB system disk and 3TB /home and share. Acting as file, print, dlna, mpd server. Mediatomb, as dlna server is quite occupied, all day long. As clients, I have 2 iPhones, 2 Droid phones, 1 Droid tablet, 2 laptops, 1 desktop,1 "smart" TV, but only as a player. Hell, even my old N82 can be served. And yes, its fully functional ;-)

For "remote", if it is really outside of local network, some VPN connection would suffice.

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

it's a pretty old hp laptop, single core intel.

thanks for all the replies. i guess i'll give media tomb a try. tuxserbia, can you watch video on your android phone with mediatomb? how? dedicated client, or web interface?

edit:
oops, it seems it hasn't been updated in a while?
also, isn't upnp evil?

tuxserbia

#9 Post by tuxserbia »

VLC is able to browse uPnP servers and play files.

For updates, well yes, its old. Real problem is lack of package for jessie, but still there for other releases. Culprit would be a WebUI that offer browsing thru entire filesystem. It is disabled by default now.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=580120

hydro

#10 Post by hydro »

I run plex media server on jessie through a docker container. Works a treat and never had any issues with it.

cra1g321

#11 Post by cra1g321 »

The ubuntu deb package on the plex website works fine with Debian, just follow along with the tutorial that arochester linked, of course wget the latest version of the package not the version that is shown in the tutorial.

debiman

#12 Post by debiman »

thanks for the thumbs up.
this has low priority right now, but i will report back eventually.

Job

#13 Post by Job »

I run both Emby and Plex on Jessie. Emby its Debian repos works out of the box, no extra set up needed.
#aptitude install life
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Debian 12 - FreeBSD

debiman

#14 Post by debiman »

you sure it's for debian stable?
an 'apt-cache search emby' returned nothing.