Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

e(fx)clipse and Scene Builder on debian jessie

Programming languages, Coding, Executables, Package Creation, and Scripting.
dx486

e(fx)clipse and Scene Builder on debian jessie

#1 Post by dx486 »

I recently begin studying and learning Java on my own. Now I want to begin learning GUI programming and learn Javafx for this purpose. I intend to design user interfaces with Scene Builder.

The software I have installed on my debian jessie (stable) 8.5 system:

* Eclipse 3.8.1. (no newer version is in the backports)
* openjdk 7 and openjdk 8 (via backports)
* openjfx 8 via backports

I have read that I need e(fx)clipse plugin to use Javafx in Eclipse. However I cannot install it from its website as it (probably) requires latest Eclipse (v4.6). However it is not in the debian stable nor backports repositories.

I also want to use Scene Builder to design Javafx UI. However I can't find it in the repositories. I found a debian deb file on Gluon website. However if I can, I prefer to avoid installing software outside debian repositories.

My questions:

1. How can I use e(fx)clipse on debian 8.5? What is the proper way?
2. Is it advisable to get Scene Builder from Gluon website or is there a more 'debian' way for this?
3. Do you think I am using / planning to use right tools for my purpose, or would you suggest something else?

Thank you.

tomazzi

Re: e(fx)clipse and Scene Builder on debian jessie

#3 Post by tomazzi »

dx486 wrote:My questions:

1. How can I use e(fx)clipse on debian 8.5? What is the proper way?
2. Is it advisable to get Scene Builder from Gluon website or is there a more 'debian' way for this?
3. Do you think I am using / planning to use right tools for my purpose, or would you suggest something else?
1. You can't. There's no "proper way", except...
2. Use the official source from Oracle, if You absolutely need the SceneBuilder *OR* build-scene-builder-from-openjfx-sources
3. I could suggest something else... - like avoiding using a languages which are known to have huge security holes in the runtime environment, which are deadly slow, prone to bugs and which are practically unable to work without an assistance of supervisors - like the Garbage Collector.

Regards.

...just to suplement what Garry have already said...
Odi profanum vulgus

dx486

Re: e(fx)clipse and Scene Builder on debian jessie

#4 Post by dx486 »

Garry: Yes, I know, breaking debian is a bad bad thing. I had read that article a couple of times. That's why I was looking for a "proper", "debian" way. Thank you for the reference anyway.

tomazzi: Thank you for your useful answer.

1) That was my conclusion too before reading your post: It is not "possible" on debian stable on debian way (just to mention; recently trying stretch made my system unbootable). Well, I have already sailed to some other directions.
2) Oracle announced that Scene Builder will not be released in build form – only as source code within the OpenJFX project. - Building from source code is an option, right.
3) Thank you for your suggestion. It is meaningful.