Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wow! Don't need putty for ssh between Win10 and Debian

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
RU55EL

Wow! Don't need putty for ssh between Win10 and Debian

#1 Post by RU55EL »

I checked the updates on the Windows 10 computer at work and discovered that as a new feature you can install Bash (provided by canonical) in Windows!

Now I can ssh from windows to my Debian workstation or vice versa without using putty!

I don't like Windows, but have to use it on the company work computers. Somehow it seems friendlier with bash installed.

IsaacKuo

Re: Wow! Don't need putty for ssh between Win10 and Debian

#2 Post by IsaacKuo »

Sounds fun! Although honestly I find that powershell suits the tasks I need to do in Windows at work pretty well.
Isaac Kuo

trinidad

Re: Wow! Don't need putty for ssh between Win10 and Debian

#3 Post by trinidad »

I've been using the bash shell in Windows 10 for a while now, and it seems to be getting better and faster every time I do. I've been running a modified open box GUI desktop, pointed at an external X server, and when I start and run that bash desktop using Remmina and a remote desktop connection from my Linux computer it runs even faster. I run GVim, Double Commander, a Links2 graphical browser and even the FORG (for my own auld ang syne) without any problems or lagging. Using it this way has simplified setting up interoffice private networking, and security device(s) configuration for me. Worth noting that open SSH is available for Windows directly, and is not the same as running SSH from bash directly. Windows ports must be released from windows control to run SSH in bash. Two different things. Also SSH from bash must have privilege separation disabled (there is no chroot in Windows bash) and the user must be added to /etc/ssh/sshd_config to work. I am impressed with the thing though. Handy, even it is Ubuntu.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.