Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] How to install Old Chromium?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
bester69

[Solved] How to install Old Chromium?

#1 Post by bester69 »

Hi,
I'd like to enjoy Chromium35-37 version in Stretch, I saw i can run them, but i've a small issue with some jessie's libraries in Stretch.

I can get Chromium35-37 from Snapshots debian or from Iron Srware repository(Chromium based on):
http://download1.srware.net/old/iron/linux/

There'are a lot of versions, and even portable, so at first is not even necessary to install, in order to be able to use old versions chromium.:
For example, you can download a portable version of Chrom. 35x64bits:
http://download1.srware.net/old/iron/li ... -35.tar.gz

well,
- first problem dependecye, i can solved it by installing libgcrypt11 (jessie)

Then Chromium opens well, but you cant browse anything and get the following message error:
ERROR:nss_util.cc(207)] Error initializing NSS without a persistent database: NSS error code: -8023
[18090:18090:0923/052645:FATAL:nss_util.cc(209)] nss_error=-8023, os_error=0
- So , i solved by installing libnss3_3.17.2-1.1+deb8u2_amd64 (jessie), and then i can use Chromium 37 in Stretch,
but it force me to remove newer versions libnss3_3.25 (Stretch) (sudo apt-get install -f), and at the same time, it affect me to firefox/iceweasel which depends on those packages.

So, the question is, How can i tell to Chromium 37 that use specific libraries in some folder, insteed installed ones (stretch), I would like to extract .so files from package (libnss3_3.17.2-1.1+deb8u2_amd64 ) and use them with old chormium in debian Stretch.

thanks,
Last edited by bester69 on 2016-09-23 10:35, edited 1 time in total.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

Re: How to install Old Chromium?

#2 Post by bester69 »

Ok,i think i found out the solution,

By using LD_LIBRARY_PATH i can override libnss3_3.25 (Stretch),

I did:

uncompress
libnss3_3.17.2-1.1+deb8u2_amd64 into local folder, and then export LD_LIBRARY_PATH path's to libraries:

Code: Select all

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/libnss3_3.17.2-1.1+deb8u2_amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/:$HOME/libnss3_3.17.2-1.1+deb8u2_amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/nss/

cd ~/iron35/
./iron
It seems that worked :P , i will keep testing
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Running an old version of a browser such as Chromium is nothing short of moronic.

Are you not at all worried by the multiple, known vulnerabilities in that piece of software?
deadbang

Ardouos

#4 Post by Ardouos »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Running an old version of a browser such as Chromium is nothing short of moronic.

Are you not at all worried by the multiple, known vulnerabilities in that piece of software?
I concur.

@ Bester69
Never run obsolete and vulnerable software. Sadly/ Positively change is inevitable, for good or bad. It does depend how you look at it.

It doesn't make sense though, why do you complain about a supported Jessie kernel being old and boring, but you want to use an "old" unsupported browser experience?
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

bester69

#5 Post by bester69 »

Ardouos wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Running an old version of a browser such as Chromium is nothing short of moronic.

I concur.

@ Bester69
Never run obsolete and vulnerable software. Sadly/ Positively change is inevitable, for good or bad. It does depend how you look at it.

It doesn't make sense though, why do you complain about a supported Jessie kernel being old and boring, but you want to use an "old" unsupported browser experience?
Its working my solution :D , now im using Chromium 41, i see i can install any version with it.

for me, It's very important a agile internet browser for everyday, and my laptop its just 1Gb CPU /2G RAM, so I need to use an agile chromium version, and i've tested that from Chr.37 on in Jessie and from Chr.48 in Stretch (more or less), the internet browser gets heavier, it eats too much ram, more than in previously versions.

Ive tried to work with last chromium/chrome versions and its very annoyng, i just can open tree or four taps as maxium... so will keep using sooner versions before i buy a new computer. Of course if i need to get into virtual bank i would use last secure version from chromium/iceweasel.

The only thing i might be take care about, is to logout chromium (insecure version) from Gmail account, but anyways, i m not sure i ve to care about this,

what do you think, Do you think my google account take hight risk if is use Chr. 41 loggedin?

We might also use firejail, if we want to keep a snapshot from the browser state, this wai it wont stay infected between sessions, in case it would be inffected once eventually.
Last edited by bester69 on 2016-09-23 10:38, edited 3 times in total.

Ardouos

#6 Post by Ardouos »

bester69 wrote:
for me, It's very important a agile internet browser for everyday, and my laptop its just 1Gb CPU /2G RAM, so I need to use an agile chromium version, and i've tested that from Chr.37 on in Jessie and from Chr.48 in Stretch (more or less), the internet browser gets heavier, it eats too much ram, more than in previously versions.
What about lightweight browsers? Like Palemoon or Midori?
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

bester69

Re: [Solved] How to install Old Chromium?

#7 Post by bester69 »

My Solution (Debian Stretch):
Choose any chromium version from Ubuntu-Launchpad:

In my case--> Chromium 41:

1- Download and install 3 packages:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ch ... ld/7044106
- chromium-browser_41.0.2272.76-0ubuntu1.1134_amd64.deb
- chromium-browser-l10n_41.0.2272.76-0ubuntu1.1134_all.deb (language)
- chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra_41.0.2272.76-0ubuntu1.1134_amd64.deb (codecs package)

2- Download and decompress Jessie package libnss3
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/libnss3
2.1 - extract--> libnss3_3.17.2-1.1+deb8u2_amd64.deb
2.2 - extract --> data.tar.xz

3- Override Stretch-libnss3 package for Chromium 41. Add to LD_LIBRARY_PATH paths to Jessie-libnss3 libraries.:
3.1 - sudo gedit /usr/bin/chromium
3.2 - Add LD_LIBRARY_PATH paths to Jessie-libnss3 libraries.:
find line

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
and replace it by

#export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<<yourLD_LIBRARYpath>>/lib/:<<yourLD_LIBRARYpath>>/lib/nss/:LD_LIBRARY_PATH
3.3 - Save it, and restart Chromium.

Ardouos

#9 Post by Ardouos »

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

bester69

#10 Post by bester69 »

Those packages (chromium's package) are not system packages, its just an application else ; i dont see where you can break anything, i think you dont really know very well what you are talking about, really... There are several years ive doing these pactices, and ive never broken debian, I dont think breaking debian, mean you cant install a third application dont belong to offical debian repositories.

I remember you, ubuntu's packages come from debian, most of them are even the same and totally compatible, so you don't have to break anything if you know what youre doing.

Ardouos

#11 Post by Ardouos »

You and I just have different opinions.:wink:

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

stevepusser

#12 Post by stevepusser »

It's your system, and you're free to experiment all you want with it. Just don't recommend that newbies follow your practices without full backups.

Hey, since you like messing with new stuff on your desktop, here's a ridiculously configurable digital desktop clock for you. :)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/digitalclock4/

Get the testing version here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/digita ... iles/next/

and run the digital_clock.sh in order have it use its bundled QT 5 libraries. I added its desktop file to ~./config/autostart and changed the Exec line to the location of the .sh file in order to have it autostart with my desktop.

My experiment with the tower clock bells tolling on the hour got old really fast, though, so I turned that plugin off.

You could also try QMPlay2 from my little Jessie multimedia OBS repo--that's a really good multimedia player that's not in Ubuntu or Debian that is being actively developed. Whoops, it just had another release--gotta build'em all!

Edit: I just uploaded the new version source to the OBS, so it will take a few minutes to rebuild packages.
MX Linux packager and developer

bester69

#13 Post by bester69 »

stevepusser wrote:It's your system, and you're free to experiment all you want with it. Just don't recommend that newbies follow your practices without full backups.

Hey, since you like messing with new stuff on your desktop, here's a ridiculously configurable digital desktop clock for you. :)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/digitalclock4/

Get the testing version here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/digita ... iles/next/

and run the digital_clock.sh in order have it use its bundled QT 5 libraries. I added its desktop file to ~./config/autostart and changed the Exec line to the location of the .sh file in order to have it autostart with my desktop.

My experiment with the tower clock bells tolling on the hour got old really fast, though, so I turned that plugin off.

You could also try QMPlay2 from my little Jessie multimedia OBS repo--that's a really good multimedia player that's not in Ubuntu or Debian that is being actively developed. Whoops, it just had another release--gotta build'em all!

Edit: I just uploaded the new version source to the OBS, so it will take a few minutes to rebuild packages.
Steve, Thanks a lot for the digital clock :P , i liked it a lot,

see..:

How do i hide taskbar button?