Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Apache needs its own docs

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Lady Aleena

Debian Apache needs its own docs

#1 Post by Lady Aleena »

Hello everyone. This is a bit of a rant.

For a little over a day, I have been working on setting up Apache off and on. It is frustrating because there are no docs for Debian's Apache to be found anywhere on the web. Also, Apache's docs are useless for Debian's Apache since Debian burst httpd.conf into several configuration files in various directories. So reading Apache's site is not going to help when one is trying to figure out where to put things since Apache states httpd.conf all over their docs.

My last hurdle to getting Apache set up is finding which file to edit to put my local perl libs into @INC in Apache so I can run my scripts in the browser without having to install modules into root's perl libs. I also need to know what to put into that file. There are no clear instructions for that.

Also, why did liblocal-lib-perl not update Apache to set my local libs in Apache along with setting up the local lib in my home directory? Could the program be configured to see if Apache is installed and ask if the user wants to include local libs in Apache? That would make things so much easier.

So, when it comes to needing docs, Debian Apache is in desperate need. Also the docs need to be simplified to include step by step instructions on what files need to be configured and how they need to be configured.

The first thing, in my opinion, to configure would be /etc/apache2/apache2.conf. The next file to be configured would be /etc/apache2/sites-available/000-default.conf. Then anything else like configuring Apache to look for local libs in users' home directories.

I am editing the configuration files nearly blind because there are no docs written specifically for Debian Apache configuration and having to get a lot of help from people here and on IRC. I am half guessing.

Sure modularization is good, but it is bad when there are no docs written to explain what goes where.

Right now I can not get my index.pl to load in my browser because my local libs are not recognized by Apache, and there are no Debian Apache configuration docs to tell me into which configuration file I need to put the list. It is extremely frustrating. I am sliding more towards just throwing caution to the wind and cpaning modules right into root's libs because my local libs are worthless without Apache being able to see them too.

Write docs please?!?!

dasein

Re: Debian Apache needs its own docs

#2 Post by dasein »

Lady Aleena wrote:So, when it comes to needing docs, Debian Apache is in desperate need.
Sounds like you've developed a lot of expertise through recent firsthand experience.

Since you feel so passionately about the need for docs, maybe it's time to share that expertise by writing a HOWTO or two. There's even a handy HOWTO section in these forums where you can post the finished product(s).

Lady Aleena

#3 Post by Lady Aleena »

dasein, funny. I still can't get my site to load because Apache won't see my local perl libs at /home/me/perl5. I will probably have to install modules with cpan to root's libs to make it work.

dasein

#4 Post by dasein »

Lady Aleena wrote:dasein, funny.
Quite serious.

millpond

#6 Post by millpond »

Lady Aleena wrote:dasein, funny. I still can't get my site to load because Apache won't see my local perl libs at /home/me/perl5. I will probably have to install modules with cpan to root's libs to make it work.
Do youself a BIG favor and install XAMPP FOR LINUX, from Apachefiends. Put it in /opt.
It wont mess with system apps, and will/should have its own Perl.
Its docs and setup will be much easier to read and deal with.