Where's Grifter?

If it doesn't relate to Debian, but you still want to share it, please do it here

Where's Grifter?

Postby Fluenza » 2007-04-12 05:08

Over the last little while, there seemed to be something missing from these forums. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I've finally figured it out. Grifter appears to have left the Debian forums. I always liked his posts. I found him to be a very knowledgeable Debian user with a really good ability to explain things. But it seems he's not posted anything at all in these forums since March 24, 2007.

Has he left the forums for good? I sure hope not. I couldn't find any note saying that he was leaving or anything. Does anybody know if he's just on vacation or something? Too busy with other things to post here?
Visualize, Describe, Direct (VDD)
Common Operational Picture (COP) --> Common Operational Response (COR) --> Common Operational Effect (COE)
User avatar
Fluenza
 
Posts: 245
Joined: 2006-11-22 18:44
Location: Fog of War

Postby Dargor » 2007-04-12 08:51

heres is farewell note http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=13038&start=15

But you're quite right, this is your personal forum, and you get to dictate rules, so I'll take my shit and pack up.

I'm out.


sounds to me like he's gone for good.
User avatar
Dargor
 
Posts: 671
Joined: 2006-08-14 08:54
Location: New Zealand, Hamilton

Postby Pobega » 2007-04-12 11:10

Got angry about avatars, packed up and left.

It's a shame because he was one of the more knowledgable members around the community.
Jabber: pobega@gmail.com
Pronunciation: Poh - Bay - Guh
User avatar
Pobega
 
Posts: 870
Joined: 2007-01-04 04:30
Location: New York

Postby Optional » 2007-04-12 15:34

Pobega wrote:Got angry about avatars, packed up and left.

It's a shame because he was one of the more knowledgable members around the community.


Indeed. I still miss seeing his avatar everywhere. :(
User avatar
Optional
 
Posts: 349
Joined: 2007-02-05 05:02

Postby thamarok » 2007-04-12 16:50

I wonder where he does his discussion now,.,
thamarok
 

Postby Optional » 2007-04-12 20:27

thamarok wrote:I wonder where he does his discussion now,.,

From his site:

Grifter wrote:If you for some reason want to get in touch,
I exist on irc.gnu.org as Grifter.


So basically, he's on Freenode. :P
User avatar
Optional
 
Posts: 349
Joined: 2007-02-05 05:02

Postby Dargor » 2007-04-12 22:36

Optional wrote:
thamarok wrote:I wonder where he does his discussion now,.,

From his site:

Grifter wrote:If you for some reason want to get in touch,
I exist on irc.gnu.org as Grifter.


So basically, he's on Freenode. :P


I think that was there before he left. thanks to the powers of google it wouldnt be too hard to stalk him if you realy wanted to.
User avatar
Dargor
 
Posts: 671
Joined: 2006-08-14 08:54
Location: New Zealand, Hamilton

Postby Lou » 2007-04-13 00:11

Pobega wrote:It's a shame because he was one of the more knowledgable members around the community.


I concur.
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid
Lou
 
Posts: 1775
Joined: 2006-05-08 02:15

Postby michael7 » 2007-04-13 02:29

Grifter is a very knowledgeable person and he made a significant contribution to this forum. However, his response to the removal of his avatar was juvenile IMO and his exchange with Jeroen was highly offensive to me. If Grifter had acted that way toward me in my courtroom, I would have fined him for contempt.
Live simply so that others may simply live.
Debian Social Contract
User avatar
michael7
 
Posts: 125
Joined: 2005-05-14 22:33

Postby Optional » 2007-04-13 03:14

michael7 wrote:If Grifter had acted that way toward me in my courtroom, I would have fined him for contempt.


Fortunately, the court of public opinion means pretty much squat.

He probably could have been a bit more eloquent, but you will also notice that he was the one to point out the changes (and alleged poor administration/decision-making process) and demand an explanation.

Whistleblowers usually aren't popular after the fact...
User avatar
Optional
 
Posts: 349
Joined: 2007-02-05 05:02

Postby llivv » 2007-04-13 03:25

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.
User avatar
llivv
 
Posts: 5488
Joined: 2007-02-14 18:10
Location: cold storage

Postby Fluenza » 2007-04-13 06:42

Optional wrote:
michael7 wrote:If Grifter had acted that way toward me in my courtroom, I would have fined him for contempt.


Fortunately, the court of public opinion means pretty much squat.

He probably could have been a bit more eloquent, but you will also notice that he was the one to point out the changes (and alleged poor administration/decision-making process) and demand an explanation.

Whistleblowers usually aren't popular after the fact...


I don't understand your post. It's a good thing that public opinion means nothing? I didn't see any evidence to suggest that Grifter had become unpopular. I think the administrators were most patient with him, albeit unwavering. Grifter has answered many of my Debian questions in the past, and I found many of his posts to be very informative.
Visualize, Describe, Direct (VDD)
Common Operational Picture (COP) --> Common Operational Response (COR) --> Common Operational Effect (COE)
User avatar
Fluenza
 
Posts: 245
Joined: 2006-11-22 18:44
Location: Fog of War

Postby Optional » 2007-04-13 19:43

Fluenza wrote:I don't understand your post. It's a good thing that public opinion means nothing? I didn't see any evidence to suggest that Grifter had become unpopular. I think the administrators were most patient with him, albeit unwavering. Grifter has answered many of my Debian questions in the past, and I found many of his posts to be very informative.


I was just saying that I'm glad michael7 isn't an admin (albeit in a very roundabout way). :lol:

And yes, he was extremely informative/knowledgeable... I just came across this thread: viewtopic.php?t=7689

:shock:
User avatar
Optional
 
Posts: 349
Joined: 2007-02-05 05:02

Postby michael7 » 2007-04-13 20:49

Optional wrote:I was just saying that I'm glad michael7 isn't an admin (albeit in a very roundabout way). :lol:

I agree. I would make a lousy admin.

Grifter made a significant contribution to this forum with his knowledge. Jeroen makes an even greater contribution because this forum would not exist without him. The server on which it runs is located in his apartment (or was until recently). Jeroen pays all the bills and only accepts contributions reluctantly.

I am old school and believe that you should treat others respectfully. You can disagree without being disagreeable. In this new cyberworld, I know that is quaint and old-fashioned but that's me.
Live simply so that others may simply live.
Debian Social Contract
User avatar
michael7
 
Posts: 125
Joined: 2005-05-14 22:33

Postby DeanLinkous » 2007-04-13 23:49

I prefer people be honest and open and since there is no visual, more cyber-visual. If you are pissed then use words that let me know you are pissed. Rant, rave, and scream hellfire so I get your point. If you feel I have dismissed you then jump my rear so I will sit up and pay attention.

of course the person doing the jumping has to buy the first round when we meet in person, unless the roles are later reversed which cancels it out. So the point is to make sure the other person is the one doing the jumping before meeting somewhere.... :)
User avatar
DeanLinkous
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: 2006-06-04 15:28


Return to Offtopic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests

fashionable