Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ifupdown legacy(?)

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
ptvschkn

ifupdown legacy(?)

#1 Post by ptvschkn »

Greetings!
The author of Debian Reference marked ifupdown as "legacy".
I can't figure out, what is the nowadays relevant alternative for interfaces configuration.(I mean it.)

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... own_legacy

GarryRicketson

Re: ifupdown legacy(?)

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_system

There is more results, you just need to do some research, and read dome documentatation.

ptvschkn

#3 Post by ptvschkn »

GarryRicketson, thank you for you answer,
the statement "The system works satisfactorily, and the owner sees no reason to change it." from the Wikipedia article would, in turn, satisfy me in this case. So far, I've encountered support for wpa_supplicant, hostapd and openvswitch* Debian packages in ifupdown. Despite the documentation being a bit of a mess for ifupdown, so far the ifupdown itself seems very convenient and flexible enough with it's mapping feature and pre/post-up/down scripts.
I still don't get it... I am very confused with ifupdown marked as "legacy" in the Reference, since the term "legacy" implies "outdated". So my question is: did the author of the Reference mean network-manager or did he mean something else, which I am totally missing.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Your welcome.
I am very confused with ifupdown marked as "legacy" in the Reference, since the term "legacy" implies "outdated".
----did he mean something else, which I am totally missing.
I don't know really, but it might be a matter of perspective,...I have never thought of "legacy" meaning outdated, at all, in fact , when I see that it is "legacy", I know it probably will work for me, anything
else probably will not work, or is entirely experimental.

ptvschkn

#5 Post by ptvschkn »

del
Last edited by ptvschkn on 2016-10-19 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

ptvschkn

#6 Post by ptvschkn »

Thank you, Garry.
I think, I get your point.
I think, that the Reference means some management system, which name Debian users don't say outloud, and to get the final answer, one should go and dig into this system's current state and it's possible perspectives.
Thanks again!

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

ptvschkn wrote:I can't figure out, what is the nowadays relevant alternative for interfaces configuration.
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... or_desktop

I prefer ifupdown though :)
deadbang

bw123

#8 Post by bw123 »

I like ifupdown, but I've been using networkmanager because it's nice on the desktop environment. I still have a couple of window manager boxes, and I like ifupdown on them. Networkmangler is a little standoffish, it does it's thing when it wants to, I think it's designed that way, while ifupdown does what you say PDQ! (edit:IF you follow syntax exactly right)

i thought this was an interesting article http://pureperl.blogspot.com/2013/01/th ... e-and.html
resigned by AI ChatGPT

sjukfan

#9 Post by sjukfan »

http://www.2daygeek.com/ip-command-exam ... -on-linux/

I have to admit though,

Code: Select all

# ifup eth1
feels a bit easier than

Code: Select all

# ip link set dev eth1 up
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

millpond

#10 Post by millpond »

I believe that network-manager relies on systemd - so it would tend to deprecate ifup.

My experience has been that using ifup directly - occasionally made hung the routing tables, particularly when there was a disconnected TUN.
Network-mamager always worked flawlessly.

However, I am currently back to the networking in init.d, which seems to work fine, though could not find the correct interface on its own. It uses ifup.
The script should hopefully be a little better than ifup alone in restoring routing tables, when the VPN is unable to.

dust hill resident

#11 Post by dust hill resident »

ifupdown is the BEST! I appreciate it for its simplicity and ease of use. I use it on all my systems.

edbarx

#12 Post by edbarx »

I used ifupdown as the workhorse for my simple-netaid-* project. Maybe, it is time to use a custom program to do the dirty work but at Devuan, ifupdown should remain available and independent of SystemD.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.

gmlox

#13 Post by gmlox »

From what I gathered ip tool doesn't only replace ifup and ifdown, but also route, brctl, ifconfig, arp and few others..
This is the same as with iw tool, which replaces iwconfig, iwlist...

Basically, one only only need to use/learn 2 tools, and forget about other tools which are limited on specific tasks.