Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Where's Grifter?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Fluenza

Where's Grifter?

#1 Post by Fluenza »

Over the last little while, there seemed to be something missing from these forums. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I've finally figured it out. Grifter appears to have left the Debian forums. I always liked his posts. I found him to be a very knowledgeable Debian user with a really good ability to explain things. But it seems he's not posted anything at all in these forums since March 24, 2007.

Has he left the forums for good? I sure hope not. I couldn't find any note saying that he was leaving or anything. Does anybody know if he's just on vacation or something? Too busy with other things to post here?
Visualize, Describe, Direct (VDD)
Common Operational Picture (COP) --> Common Operational Response (COR) --> Common Operational Effect (COE)

Dargor

#2 Post by Dargor »

heres is farewell note http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=13038&start=15
But you're quite right, this is your personal forum, and you get to dictate rules, so I'll take my crap and pack up.

I'm out.
sounds to me like he's gone for good.

Pobega

#3 Post by Pobega »

Got angry about avatars, packed up and left.

It's a shame because he was one of the more knowledgable members around the community.
Jabber: pobega@gmail.com
Pronunciation: Poh - Bay - Guh

Optional

#4 Post by Optional »

Pobega wrote:Got angry about avatars, packed up and left.

It's a shame because he was one of the more knowledgable members around the community.
Indeed. I still miss seeing his avatar everywhere. :(

thamarok

#5 Post by thamarok »

I wonder where he does his discussion now,.,

Optional

#6 Post by Optional »

thamarok wrote:I wonder where he does his discussion now,.,
From his site:
Grifter wrote:If you for some reason want to get in touch,
I exist on irc.gnu.org as Grifter.
So basically, he's on Freenode. :P

Dargor

#7 Post by Dargor »

Optional wrote:
thamarok wrote:I wonder where he does his discussion now,.,
From his site:
Grifter wrote:If you for some reason want to get in touch,
I exist on irc.gnu.org as Grifter.
So basically, he's on Freenode. :P
I think that was there before he left. thanks to the powers of google it wouldnt be too hard to stalk him if you realy wanted to.

Lou

#8 Post by Lou »

Pobega wrote: It's a shame because he was one of the more knowledgable members around the community.
I concur.
Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

michael7

#9 Post by michael7 »

Grifter is a very knowledgeable person and he made a significant contribution to this forum. However, his response to the removal of his avatar was juvenile IMO and his exchange with Jeroen was highly offensive to me. If Grifter had acted that way toward me in my courtroom, I would have fined him for contempt.
Live simply so that others may simply live.
Debian Social Contract

Optional

#10 Post by Optional »

michael7 wrote:If Grifter had acted that way toward me in my courtroom, I would have fined him for contempt.
Fortunately, the court of public opinion means pretty much squat.

He probably could have been a bit more eloquent, but you will also notice that he was the one to point out the changes (and alleged poor administration/decision-making process) and demand an explanation.

Whistleblowers usually aren't popular after the fact...

llivv

#11 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

Fluenza

#12 Post by Fluenza »

Optional wrote:
michael7 wrote:If Grifter had acted that way toward me in my courtroom, I would have fined him for contempt.
Fortunately, the court of public opinion means pretty much squat.

He probably could have been a bit more eloquent, but you will also notice that he was the one to point out the changes (and alleged poor administration/decision-making process) and demand an explanation.

Whistleblowers usually aren't popular after the fact...
I don't understand your post. It's a good thing that public opinion means nothing? I didn't see any evidence to suggest that Grifter had become unpopular. I think the administrators were most patient with him, albeit unwavering. Grifter has answered many of my Debian questions in the past, and I found many of his posts to be very informative.
Visualize, Describe, Direct (VDD)
Common Operational Picture (COP) --> Common Operational Response (COR) --> Common Operational Effect (COE)

Optional

#13 Post by Optional »

Fluenza wrote:I don't understand your post. It's a good thing that public opinion means nothing? I didn't see any evidence to suggest that Grifter had become unpopular. I think the administrators were most patient with him, albeit unwavering. Grifter has answered many of my Debian questions in the past, and I found many of his posts to be very informative.
I was just saying that I'm glad michael7 isn't an admin (albeit in a very roundabout way). :lol:

And yes, he was extremely informative/knowledgeable... I just came across this thread: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=7689

:shock:

michael7

#14 Post by michael7 »

Optional wrote:I was just saying that I'm glad michael7 isn't an admin (albeit in a very roundabout way). :lol:
I agree. I would make a lousy admin.

Grifter made a significant contribution to this forum with his knowledge. Jeroen makes an even greater contribution because this forum would not exist without him. The server on which it runs is located in his apartment (or was until recently). Jeroen pays all the bills and only accepts contributions reluctantly.

I am old school and believe that you should treat others respectfully. You can disagree without being disagreeable. In this new cyberworld, I know that is quaint and old-fashioned but that's me.
Live simply so that others may simply live.
Debian Social Contract

DeanLinkous

#15 Post by DeanLinkous »

I prefer people be honest and open and since there is no visual, more cyber-visual. If you are pissed then use words that let me know you are pissed. Rant, rave, and scream hellfire so I get your point. If you feel I have dismissed you then jump my rear so I will sit up and pay attention.

of course the person doing the jumping has to buy the first round when we meet in person, unless the roles are later reversed which cancels it out. So the point is to make sure the other person is the one doing the jumping before meeting somewhere.... :)