Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

video set up

Need help with peripherals or devices?
jm

video set up

#1 Post by jm »

I am BRAND new to Linux. I installed Debian 3.0 woody on a former Win98 machine yesterday.
This computer is a 233mmx with 256 meg memory, and a 7 gig maxtor hard drive. The video card is quite old, and I can't find the manual. I did a Belarc scan of the system while it was still windows, and the scan says: Trident 9685/9680/9682/9385/9382/9385-1 PCI [Display adapter] regarding the video drivers

I tried following all the installation instructions, and the process seemed to go well. I finally figured out how to start kde, but the video is TOTALLY hosed. I can barely make out anything. Everything is smeared to some extent or streaked. I have searched all over, but can't find anything that tells me EXACTLY how to go in and set up the video.

I have tried to call xconf, XConfigurator, and XF86Config (I may have misspelled some or all of these, but when I typed them in on the Linux machine I know they were right there), but the system does not recognize what I am typing in. I can't figure out what to tell it to get into a configuration routine so I can try to put the monitor into a vga mode.

Can anyone lend me a hand. Sorry, I guess I may have bit off more than I can chew. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
jm

hesoez

#2 Post by hesoez »

switch to root
then execute:

Code: Select all

xf86config
if it cannot be found do a:

Code: Select all

source /etc/profile
first.
choose the 'vesa' or 'trident' driver and a defaultdepth of 16.
the rest should not be a problem.
normally it should work and then you can finetune that config.

grtz

jm

#3 Post by jm »

Thank you for the reply. I finally managed to get into xf86config, and tried setting everything up. I obviously don't quite follow what I am doing, but I have somehow managed to get to a point where through ctrl alt + I can at least get a viewable screen (in KDE). Not sure if I figured that out or what, but your direction has gotten me going in the right direction. For now, the desktop is too large for the too small display area, which does not fill the monitor properly (size wise). By switching the resolution (?), I get a completely viewable desktop, but all the jitter/smear problems return. When viewable (but smeared and jittery), the monitor says it is in a mode with 53.7 KHZ horizontal and 85 Hz vertical. With the screen stable, good view, but too large, the numbers are 43.3 (or 43.1)KHz and 85Hz. I tried setting up 16 bit for 3 resolutions (1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480), but when I use ctrl alt + , it only does the 2 displays. So, my issues are not quite resolved, but at least (with your generous help) I can now see the screen clearly. I will keep playing with it, see what else I can do, and learn along the way. keyboard and mouse work fine, built on sound doesn't function (or so KDE says), but I will continue to play, read the message boards, and keep learning. It is an experience. Thanks again. I am always open for suggestions, so if you care to offer anything more, your input is greatly appreciated.
Best regards,
jm

nbd

see what knoppix can get out of your machine

#4 Post by nbd »

http://www.knoppix.com

It detects hardware very well and should be able to help configuring woody since it's based on it.

#5 Post by Guest »

Thanks for the help. I have discovered Knoppix and Mepis, and have sucessfully installed Mepis. Knoppix worked for me to varying degrees, depending on the system I ran it on, but for my old system, Mepis has worked out well. Still have issues with sound (sometimes it works, sometimes it won't. Sometimes it will play for extended periods, sometimes it just quits in the middle of a song.), and it wouldn't recognize the pci-pcmcia card I was trying to run to take advantage of an old IBM Travelstar. I have since bought a new 120 gig Western Digital hard drive, and now have all the storage I can use. For the moment. And no more MS Win----!!!

meMyself&I

#6 Post by meMyself&I »

:P :P :P

Congratulations!

No more MS!!!

:D :D :D