Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Test

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
ghostdawg

Test

#1 Post by ghostdawg »

This is just a test to see why my posts time stamps are off by one hour...

Only a test!
Tower | Debian Testing & Mageia 1 | HP DX5150 AMD64 | 512gb | 40gb
AAO | Mandriva 2010.2 | Intel Atom | 1gb | 160gb
Mini Mac G4 | Debian & OSX | 1gb | 60gb

ghostdawg

Test 2

#2 Post by ghostdawg »

Testing...I guess when stupid Bush had DST start early this year, it threw my time zone off here....

Fixed now.

dmn_clown

#3 Post by dmn_clown »

It's a good idea, it keeps the lights off longer which will save electricity and hopefully reduce green house gases released from all of those lovely "clean coal" power plants being built (and the existing ones).

Unless of course you live in Indiana where several politicians were elected solely because they promised to repeal DST, then it is the end of world...

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#4 Post by Lavene »

DST is just silly when you live here up north. During summer the sun hardly sets here where I live, a bit further north it does not set at all (the land of the midnight sun and all that).

Of course, it would be even sillier if we did not follow the rest of Europe ;)

hkoster1

#5 Post by hkoster1 »

Lavene wrote:Of course, it would be even sillier if we did not follow the rest of Europe ;)
...except for the EU. :roll:

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#6 Post by Lavene »

hkoster1 wrote:
Lavene wrote:Of course, it would be even sillier if we did not follow the rest of Europe ;)
...except for the EU. :roll:
Yeah. That's what happen in a glorious democracy where everyone is allowed to vote, and most of the people walk through life with blinders, looking down at their shoe tip while thy chant "it's mine it's mine". "Don't take my fish. Don't take my oil. Don't take our jobs."
That's fine really if they made some informed decision.

The problem is however a small thing called the EEC which the sheep mention above seem oblivious to. So in th end every whim from EU gets forced upon us because of EEC and we have nothing to say.

But since the majority of the Norwegian people still believe that actually being part of EU would mean that a huge monster comes swallowing up every resource we have, well, we are stuck with whatever EU decide without even getting as much as a vote.

AARGH! I just violated the 'non-politics' policy of the board with this rant... I have to give my self a warning!

Tina

ghostdawg

#7 Post by ghostdawg »

dmn_clown wrote:It's a good idea, it keeps the lights off longer which will save electricity and hopefully reduce green house gases released from all of those lovely "clean coal" power plants being built (and the existing ones)
It would also be a good idea if we dumped coal & oil for some other alternative fuel.

I don't know how many here remember we went through a oil crises back in the 1970s under another stupid president called Nixon. You would think by now alternative fuel would be working great by now.

Dohhh, but then the Bushes wouldn't be able to keep getting rich from oil...O well!

dmn_clown

#8 Post by dmn_clown »

ghostdawg wrote:It would also be a good idea if we dumped coal & oil for some other alternative fuel.

I don't know how many here remember we went through a oil crises back in the 1970s under another stupid president called Nixon. You would think by now alternative fuel would be working great by now.

Dohhh, but then the Bushes wouldn't be able to keep getting rich from oil...O well!
When the oil companies can find a way to market an alternative fuel and still keep their monopoly (read our $$ coming in) then we'll have it. Why do you think they are pushing E85 when it isn't a viable replacement?

Oh well, indeed.

e1even1

#9 Post by e1even1 »

ghostdawg wrote: It would also be a good idea if we dumped coal & oil for some other alternative fuel.
unfortunately, coal is so abundant that it reduces any incentives we have to find alternatives.
Worldwide, coal is the most abundant of the fossil fuels, and its reserves are also the most widely distributed. Estimates of the world's total recoverable reserves of coal in 2002 were about 1,081 billion sort tons. The resulting ratio of coal reserves to production exceeds 200 years,
and wind mills have our environmentalists tripping about birds. i think that the real answer is nuclear. but we have to start shooting the waste off into the sun, instead of keeping it here.

we have plenty of problems to solve.

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#10 Post by Lavene »

There is one thing that would really help, does not require new technology, does not harm birds, fish or any other animal: Stop consuming all that energy!!

There are no such thing as a free lunch. In Norway windmills was/ is a big hit. Unfortunately one of the windmill parks killed off half the population of some eagles that's already rare to the point of extinction.

And they are building a new environmentally friendly gas power plant. That is, it will be environmentally friendly in 2012, IF they have the technology needed ready at that time.

Creating energy takes it's toll no matter how you do it.

DeanLinkous

#11 Post by DeanLinkous »

now lavene that would require some effort
it would require people not doing the same things

we want the cake and the icing - keep doing everything that we currently do, the way we do it now and some miracle that makes the problems go away

garrincha

#12 Post by garrincha »

A little off Debian topic that hopefully we will not get chealered. :)

I actually thought the the half century dependence on oil stifled technology innovation and progress in alternative fuel technology. There were very little researches on alternative energy technology, potentially clean energy including water (Earth is more than 70% covered with water), solar and nuclear fission. Of course it doesn't help that the oil consortium was and is still very powerful. Have a look at the practice of Standard Oil (Esso) or what popularly became known today as "Robber Baron".

Remember also, that oil or more correctly petroleum also fuelled a of technological revolutions post-WWII, things like solvents, fertilizers, pesticides, and plastics, thus giving birth to the "plastic lifestyle" we all led. Hey are you using a plastic laptop? Can you dispose of it? :)

Now, we (at least in the West) are really in trouble if the Mid East start to burn brightly and Iran started to flex her powerful muscle by exporting their even larger reserve of oil favourably to countries like India and China, mainly because more than 60% of reserve came from this region. And you wondered why in the past they wanted to prop up the autocratic Shah after the overthrow of democratically elected president Dr. Mohammad Mossadegh by a CIA backed group? It's no wonder that thing have not changed as the USA is lining up and taking aim at Hugo Chavez and Venezuela. Why? Because Venezuela and the Guianas highland in the South America Atlantic coast have the largest reserve of oil due to crude oil from bitumen.
Maurice Green on Usain Bolt's 9.58: "The Earth stopped for a second, and he went to Mars."

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#13 Post by Lavene »

garrincha wrote:Remember also, that oil or more correctly petroleum also fuelled a of technological revolutions post-WWII, things like solvents, fertilizers, pesticides, and plastics, thus giving birth to the "plastic lifestyle" we all led. Hey are you using a plastic laptop? Can you dispose of it? :)
We don't have to move back to the stone age to make a huge difference. I do however try to du my share: We have only one TV set and it's only on when we are actually watching something. We turn off the lights in the rooms we are not in (and of course during daytime). I recycle everything that can be recycled. I don't own a car because I live in a place where bus and train is a viable alternative. If possible I sacrifice a few hours and use the train instead of airplanes if possible when traveling.

There are a million minor changes one can make to the lifestyle that will have a huge impact on the environment. But of course... people don't want to do that. They want to cry out to everyone else demanding change.

Tina

<(DmC)>

#14 Post by <(DmC)> »

Lavene wrote:There is one thing that would really help, does not require new technology, does not harm birds, fish or any other animal: Stop consuming all that energy!! (...)
Creating energy takes it's toll no matter how you do it.
i agree with you completely! it is particularly interesting that most of the energy is being consumed by a very small percentage of the earths human population...
DeanLinkous wrote:we want the cake and the icing - keep doing everything that we currently do, the way we do it now and some miracle that makes the problems go away
obviously, your "we" doesn't refer to mankind in general, eh? i am just curious who you mean by "we"... pluralis majestatis maybe? :P

dmn_clown wrote:When the oil companies can find a way to market an alternative fuel and still keep their monopoly (read our $$ coming in) then we'll have it. Why do you think they are pushing E85 when it isn't a viable replacement?
imho it is indeed important to recognize that "alternative fuel" is not that much of an alternative because it still needs to be produced somehow, which usually is very energy-consuming in the first place.
if anyone is interested in the end of the oil-age and the scientific future that is linked to it, i recommend the movie "the end of suburbia", which only focusses on the effects of the US, though...

anyway, have a good day everyone.

EDIT:
Lavene wrote:There are a million minor changes one can make to the lifestyle that will have a huge impact on the environment. But of course... people don't want to do that. They want to cry out to everyone else demanding change.

Tina
once again, i generally agree with you... however, there is a reason that often depresses me when i consider my impact. in terms of pollution for example, but also in terms of energy consumption, it is demoralizing to me to think how little the individuals contribute when compared to the effects induced by large companies. freight ships dump tons of waste into the oceans. all sorts of plants and factories distribute smoke in the atmosphere and toxic liquids in the rivers. even the honorable task of recycling is often very energy-demanding... nonetheless, it is irreplacable for every individual to reduce their own "footprint". it just depresses me to think about the big picture sometimes... :cry:

so depressed greetings,
Last edited by <(DmC)> on 2007-04-13 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
The moribund <(DmC)> salutes you
Highest excellence is like water.
The virtue of water appears in its benefiting all things,
and in its occupying, without striving,
the low place which all men dislike.

llivv

#15 Post by llivv »

<
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

<(DmC)>

Re: DST

#16 Post by <(DmC)> »

llivv wrote:ah GGGRRRRrrrrrr I hate when that happens
like what? offtopic discussions?

llivv

#17 Post by llivv »

:
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

llivv

#18 Post by llivv »

!
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

llivv

#19 Post by llivv »

<
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-15 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

<(DmC)>

Re: cons ervation

#20 Post by <(DmC)> »

llivv wrote:
<(DmC)> wrote:
DeanLinkous wrote::
we want the cake and the icing - keep doing everything that we currently do, the way we do it now and some miracle that makes the problems go away
obviously, your "we" doesn't refer to mankind in general, eh? i am just curious who you mean by "we"... pluralis majestatis maybe? Razz
I think I would describe "we' as "mankind "in "gerneral"''' That includes me too. I do my share of wasting precious resources on trivial trinkets. {Save}
yo, i just thought that most people on earth do not waste a lot of stuff because they do not have a lot to waste. they don't waste loads and loads of energy because they have neither cars, nor microwaves. they don't waste fresh water because they don't have any. they also don't waste their time pointing these things out in forums because they don't have a computer at home and need to be concerned with how to get some food on the table instead of surfing the web. - i find it wrong to say that every one of us (us=we=mankind) is wasteful and doesn't want to give up the "high" standart of living which is achieved by wasting energy, because most of us don't even have cake or icing. the waste of recources is not the fault of the poor.
it is my fault because i live (and always have lived) in first world countries and even though i try to do my little part to be better than my surroundings, i don't generally reject "the system" enaugh in my everyday life. i am a part of it and i am guilty. i spend money which helps the economy which destroys the environment. however, it is reassuring to know, that my day of decay will come. it might be far, but it will surely come...

llivv wrote:Oh, I could go on about the things I do to reuse everything I can think of (how to reuse it) as many times as I can get some use from it. Or about how I do things differently than most everyone I know, regarding many environmental issues. composting gardening, mechanical work ie: cars, small engines, bicycles, electrical, plumbing, computers. I find myself having to do these things becasue I can't get anyone to do them the way I want them done, so I have to do them myself. Most other people around me tend to think I'm I bit over the edge becasue I try to do (its seems ) everything myself. {save} but I also find it difficult to change my wastfulness, becasue it is generally accepted as a norm. (What ya gonna do?) Honda was supposed to release a Fuel Cell car in 2002. Honda FC "fc=fuel cell" I wonder if there is anything on the honda site about it anymore, probably not. I'm still waiting!!!
yes, i try to do as many things for myself as i can as well. i think that is very good because it also connects me with the things i own and do a lot more, so they become more important to me. i look after my belongings with care, because they are a part of my life. they are not something that can be replaced easily by buying something new or haveing an "expert" come in for lots of money to fix things in a "proper" way.
many things get a certain sentimental value for me when i worked on them myself that other people won't ever experience as long as they distance themselves from the do-it-yourself way.

so long,