Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Infinality breaks some google fonts

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
giaur

Infinality breaks some google fonts

#1 Post by giaur »

This is really annoying. I have installed infinality, as on this tutorial: http://brontosaurusrex.github.io/2016/0 ... an-jessie/

Fonts are fine, however some fonts are completly broken, for example "Hind" font, look:

I'm confused double, because I have the same font installed locally and it renders fine:

Do you have any ideas? It seems, only fonts placed on website renders incorrectly. WTF? Does anybody have any experience with infinality font patches?

debiman

Re: Infinality breaks some google fonts

#2 Post by debiman »

the link you posted is 11months old and for debian 7 - current stable is debian 8 -
just saying.

also, did you search these forums on how to install infinality?
i happen to know that there's a thread.

but instead of doing your due diligence, you slap us with another wtf.
wtf.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

^ shall we tell the OP where they can find the author of their linked guide?

:lol:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=88545
deadbang

giaur

#4 Post by giaur »

Well, ok, fine... do you know any solution how to use infinality on Sid. As you can see, my results are not acceptable so far.
Any less outdated build, or guide how to sync infinality patches with current freetype sources?

I know I have used outdated stuff, just because I was unable to find anything better for Debian

I am unable to find any not outdated guide on this forum, please point me the one if you know where is it

Actually I am not 100℅ sure if it's because of infinality, I will keep trying to figure out what have I messed...

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

giaur wrote:infinality on Sid
IMO, Infinality is not really needed anymore since sid switched to FreeType 2.7 and the new "TrueType" sub-pixel hinting mode:

https://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs ... nting.html

It does take a while to get used to, I hated it on my Arch system at first but I now believe it to be the best font rendering I have ever seen.
deadbang

giaur

#6 Post by giaur »

Hmm I can see 2.6 only... still, it looks terribly (but, ofc not so terribly as on my screenshots)

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

giaur wrote:Hmm I can see 2.6 only
Ooops, my humble apologies, you are quite correct :oops:

I have only just recently installed stretch and I had assumed that the FreeType version would be the same as my Arch and OpenBSD-current systems but clearly this is not the case.

Hopefully it will be pushed through to sid soon, eh?

:mrgreen:

EDIT: if you have an Intel graphics card you may want to try https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In ... SNA_issues -- you might be suffering graphics artefacts.
deadbang

giaur

#8 Post by giaur »

Ok... there are some ubuntu packages yet to test .... freetype 2.7 + infinality... let's see.. tomorrow, this is pc in my work actually, better to keep it not broken

giaur

#9 Post by giaur »

Well, if anybody is interested... debs from here: http://ppa.launchpad.net/no1wantdthisna ... /freetype/ are perfectly suitable for Sid currently. We need ppa5 versions, fontconfig 2.7, ppa4 depends from libpng12, which is already dropped form Sid. I think ppa4 will be suitable for Debian Testing.

I'm very satisfied with fonts rendering now:

Hind font:

It's beautiful, finally! I guess, we are not going to get this by default and nobody wants to maintain infinality packages for Debian... this is shame.

debiman

#10 Post by debiman »

giaur wrote:Well, if anybody is interested... debs from here: http://ppa.launchpad.net/no1wantdthisna ... /freetype/ are perfectly suitable for Sid currently.
i think you meant "apparently".
enjoy your new FrankenDebian!

HoaS even posted you the link to the thread that would have told you how to do it on debian.
but of course ranting is more important than actually reading stuff.
wtf.

giaur

#11 Post by giaur »

Yep, this is conclusion from link he has provided:
hadrons123 wrote:You are free to adopt and maintain if you are interested.
(3 years ago)

All is outdated and result is the same as it's shown in my first post. Since I am unable to adopt and maintain in (no skills), I used Ubuntu packages. But I'm interesred, so what?

If you know better solution ... tell me. I would like to avoid use Ubuntu packages, this is not good indeed.

debiman

#12 Post by debiman »

what do i know? a thread this age, i start from the LAST post and work my way.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 84#p630784
that actually sounds promising already.
read back a few posts to get some context.
and many people are posting that they succesfully installed infinality, so why is it just you?

giaur

#13 Post by giaur »

Well, I can see only 3rd party stuff there... not much better than Ubuntu debs I used. Some debs hosted on OpenSuse repos .. somebody has patched something that is not maintained anymore (only a single shoot I guess)... etc, but I will take a closer look.

Really, as long as all deps match, I see actually nothing wrong with using Ubuntu packages. Not added ppa to sources.list, only installed debs. It's fine so far.

giaur

#14 Post by giaur »

Must say, I'm satisified with freetype 2.8 rendering:

Finally, they did that. No more crap! Thanks for devs. It's still a bit worse than infinality, but completly acceptable.