Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Acpi: Unable to turn cooling device on?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
f10

Acpi: Unable to turn cooling device on?

#1 Post by f10 »

I have been using Debian for a couple years, and this is my first problem, maybe someone can help me out.
My computer is a desktop , Compaq sr1130nx.
I just recieved my etch dvds. So I go to install etch.
I install the base system, with only standard selected, so i can build my system the way i like. I reboot , i get to the login and i keep getting the message Acpi: Unable to turn cooling device [c13f5dec] 'on'
There is not enough time for me to type my login and password before the warning comes up again.
I think it may be a kernel problem so i tried both the k7 and 686. Both do the same.
In the release notes this is noted for hp laptops, but i have a desktop, so I dont know.
Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

hellfire[bg]

#2 Post by hellfire[bg] »

Not a suggestion really, but, bu cooling device i suppose it means the fan. If this is the case does the fan actually work?
...to boldly go where no one has gone before...

f10

#3 Post by f10 »

The fan is working normal, that is why I think it may be a kernel problem.
Later today I will probably compile a kernel without the laptop modules see if that fixes it.
I will post back the results.

plugwash

#4 Post by plugwash »

try using acpi=off as a boot parameter.

i'd advise after doing so checking that all fans (most importantly the cpu fan) are operational just in case.

f10

#5 Post by f10 »

I tried the acpi=off and also noacpi boot parameters, I forgot to mention that in the original post.
It still happens with either one of them.
My dmesg output gets written to about every 5 seconds with that error.
I'm lost at the moment.
I will also check the processor fan, thanks for that sugestion.
Any other ideas would be more than welcome.

thanks

f10

#6 Post by f10 »

I can stop the error messages with this command 'modprobe -r thermal'.
Maybe that will help out troubleshooting.

plugwash

#7 Post by plugwash »

tbh if you can stop the errors and there don't appear to be any fans not running or other thermal problems then i wouldn't worry about it.

f10

#8 Post by f10 »

I installed a old kernel off of an old etch net install cd, linux-image-2.6.17-2-686.
No more problems.
So it has to be somthing in the 2.6.18 kernel since both the k7 and 686 has that problem.