Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Removing/uninstalling stuff

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
komputersman

Removing/uninstalling stuff

#1 Post by komputersman »

Hello all,
Please help. I want to know how to uninstall/remove apps. Such as I have more then one browser. I want to strip down Debian I guess.

Thanks

jobezone

Re: Removing/uninstalling stuff

#2 Post by jobezone »

komputersman wrote:Hello all,
Please help. I want to know how to uninstall/remove apps. Such as I have more then one browser. I want to strip down Debian I guess.

Thanks
There are a few tools, some comand line, one graphical, and one in between. They all use the same infrastructure underneath. The graphical one is Synaptic; the in between, because it can be used as a command in a terminal, but also has its own terminal GUI is aptitude. Then there is the command line program apt-get. If you are completely new to Debian and the command line, I would sugest you use Synaptic. If you don't have it yet, you'll have to install it using one of the other two apps, so, you would have to run as root:

Code: Select all

apt-get install synaptic
To remove a package you do:

Code: Select all

apt-get remove package

welcome to Debian and free software.
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!

Harold

#3 Post by Harold »

Debian's localepurge package will remove all help files written in languages other than the ones you specify as keepers.

The Deborphan package will identify unused libraries (but only those installed from .deb packages and not those built from source.) The easiest way to use it is to get to a console prompt, su to root and run orphaner.