Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dear Mr. Gates: save Vista, open-source it

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Lou

Dear Mr. Gates: save Vista, open-source it

#1 Post by Lou »

Devuan Jessie - IceWM - vimperator - no DM
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid

GMouse

#2 Post by GMouse »

The way I see it, the system is too flawed to salvage, short of a complete rewrite. Too many things seem to have access deeper into the system than they should, and fixing the problem isn't so much a matter of writing patches as it is of doing a fundamental redesign of the operating system.

However, that code would be extremely useful in creating a compatibility layer to run legacy Windows applications on a different platform, be it Linux, or something else. I remember reading about a new operating system being developed at MS as a "research" endeavor, code-named Singularity. If MS would do as Apple did with OS X, and move over to a completely new system with something like Wine to provide a transition, then they would solve a great many of their problems.

Of course, I think that upper management as MS will prevent them from properly managing such a transition and that they'll completely bungle things. Again. Or that they'll still cling to their established ways in the face of a changing market and a growing quagmire of spaghetti code.

bluesdog

#3 Post by bluesdog »

I foresee Microsoft bowing to the inevitable and releasing Microsoft Linux in 2010
Ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, hah, haaaah!

Hey, look at all those flying pigs!!

:lol:
Tips & Tricks

Something more to read while waiting

If you obviously have not read THIS, don't expect too much...

*winter bluesdog....*

sinical

#4 Post by sinical »

With US29.7 billion in cash and short term investments MS or Vista are not going to disappear in a hurry. Articles like this are just +pagehit crap. Look at the page, 1/2 of it is advertising..
Every cloud has a silver lining, except for the mushroom shaped ones, which have a lining of Strontium 90.
---------------------------------------------
umop apisdn

Fluenza

#5 Post by Fluenza »

bluesdog wrote:
I foresee Microsoft bowing to the inevitable and releasing Microsoft Linux in 2010
Ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, hah, haaaah!

Hey, look at all those flying pigs!!

Visualize, Describe, Direct (VDD)
Common Operational Picture (COP) --> Common Operational Response (COR) --> Common Operational Effect (COE)

Lavene
Site admin
Site admin

#6 Post by Lavene »

It's not pigs... it's Pidgins...

Dargor

#7 Post by Dargor »

sinical wrote:With US29.7 billion in cash and short term investments MS or Vista are not going to disappear in a hurry. Articles like this are just +pagehit crap. Look at the page, 1/2 of it is advertising..
lol, that seems like a good way to determine how useful a web page is. ill have to start using it.