Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Sound in Jessie on Thinkpad T410i

Need help with peripherals or devices?
HankTiffany

Sound in Jessie on Thinkpad T410i

#1 Post by HankTiffany »

Hello,
Well after running Debian since 2.1 I finally have hit a problem I can't seem to fix myself so I'm here to beg for help.
Last Dec 25th I decided to give myself a present by installing Debian on the laptop I use for classes, a Lenovo Thinkpad T410i, previously a Windows 7 only machine. I reduce the Windows partition (more on Windows later) and installed from a Wheezy DVD-Rom I had. Once I had connection wifi working I went to the Debian site and upgraded to Jessie. Just to make my life perfect, the HD in my old desktop crashed on the 26th. I have two unresolved problems at this time:

First, and more important, I can't seem to get the sound card working. I'm not a big fan of hearing Biff bark but I need to be able to do web-conferencing for my classes. I have spent the last month reading Man pages, How-tos and anything else I could find, no luck.( I'm not good with screen shots so I'm going to type some of the things that normally come up that way here)
From Windows I had gotten the informations on the sound card as being Conexant 20585 Smart Audio HD and also, Intel Display audio.
In lspci -v I see the following:

00:1b:.0 audio device: Intel Corporations 5 Series/3400 series high Definition Audio (rev 06)
subsystem: Leonovo Device 215e
flags: fast devsel, IRQ 11
memory at f262000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link
Kernel driver in use: oss_hdaudio

I've also got that the device id is 8086:3b56

I've loaded the Firmware packages and the microcode packages, tried both oss and alsa, dev/dsp and dev/mixer both exist, I've tried with both a 3.16 and a 4.8 kernel, ran alsactl init, tried loading some modules manually, and I honestly forget what all else.
I keep getting various error messages, most recently the message has been: alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory
In the boot-time messages (journalctl) the only reference to the card I have found is the following 4 lines:

00:1b.0 [8086:3b56] type 00 class 0x040300
00:1b.0 reg 0x10 [mem 0xf262000-0xf263fff 64 bit]
00:1b.0 PME# supported from D0 D3hot, D3cold
00:1b.0 System wakeup disabled by ACPI

a little farther down I see:

oss_hdaudio: HDA codex 0x140f15069 not known yet [repeats but with address 0x80862804] [both lines in RED, then repeated]

and then:

oss4-base[297]: Starting Open Sound System modprobe FATAL:module oss_usb not found
oss4-base[297]: open module oss_usb failed - ignored ... (warning).
oss4-base[297]: opendir: No such file or directory
oss4-base[297]: done

and then:
alsactl[685]: /usr/sbin/alsactl: load_state:[1729]: No soundcards found...

systemd[1] meanwhile is reporting that it started Restore Sound Card State.

And that is where I am at.
Oh, I can't tell you what Windows 7 says, it won't boot any more, that's my other problem. I've tried both grub and lilo and under both it gets the Windows logo up ant then sits there glowing. I've tried a couple of rescue options with no luck. It seems, as best I can tell, to think I've changed the hardware (I haven't) and goes off to sulk. that's windows for you.
Oh and I have only very limited BIOS access. I bought the machine used, store now out of business, and the BIOS is passwd protected (!) and I wasn't given the password.
thank you for your time and any help you can give,
DH "Hank" Tiffany

Segfault

Re: Sound in Jessie on Thinkpad T410i

#2 Post by Segfault »

No wonder ALSA tools can't find the device, you are using OSS low level drivers. I find it most unusual, was this your choice?

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

the BIOS is passwd protected (!) and I wasn't given the password.
flash it from a floppy
can't tell you what Windows 7 says, it won't boot any more
Don't worry about it, doesn't matter waht it says if you are troubleshooting the linux install.
First, and more important, I can't seem to get the sound card working
Sounds like you have apt-get fever and installed a bunch of stuff trying to fix a simple config issue, this is normal behavior for people used to windows. Take your time answer questions posted in this thread and I bet some of the people on here will have you in business pretty quick.

oh yeah, leran to use code tags, and welcome to the forum.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

did a search for you, i dunno man it looks like sound should work but if the wiki is wrong please update it? thanks.

https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebia ... nkpad/T410
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Segfault

#5 Post by Segfault »

If you do not mind, look at the initial post again. OP is using OSS4, not ALSA. Thinkpad T410 works fine with ALSA, I have a T410 myself, everything works.

HankTiffany

#6 Post by HankTiffany »

Thanks to all who have replied so far. I haven't messed with sound in a long time.
I had just alsa and got nowhere, read somewhere that alsa could use oss drivers and that they got along fine so I tried installing oss4. I will take it off when next I have time to play with this (probably Thursday) and report back. That's what I get for trusting things I read on the web, I guess.
In general I try to deal with one system/crisis at a time!
Oh, and I had seen that page on Debian on a T410 before, but thanks for trying. It sure didn't have audio "right out of the box" for me I'm afraid.

As to windows, wouldn't care about it but some software I have to use for classes is poorly written (It only runs on windows) so if I don't have something running windows, I have to go to campus (about an hour each way) and use one of their machines. So it would be nice, I guess, to get it back.

Evening all,
hank
ps What's a floppy? Now that the discs are dead for most, I mean.