Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Forum displayed time

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
ticojohn

Debian Forum displayed time

#1 Post by ticojohn »

I was just looking at the current time displayed on the Debian Forum home page and something isn't right. The time displayed is 7 plus minutes ahead of time. :oops: I thought that maybe my system clock was in error but then I checked the time with NIST. My system is spot on.

And I just noticed that the display time changed, still of by 10 minutes or so. And the connection to the site seems to be extremely sluggish. Maybe they are doing maintenance or maybe they are under attack.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

HarDebiMan

Re: Debian Forum displayed time

#2 Post by HarDebiMan »

:idea: Looks like a Costa Rica related issue, it's happening to me too. :(

People from any other country/area experiencing something similar :?:
Motherboard: Asus H81T/CSM R2.0
Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1246 v3
Graphics: Intel HD P4600 (Mesa)
Branch: testing
Shell: bash
DE:
none
WM: compiz

[[ Read >> Think >> Reply ]]

ralph.ronnquist

#3 Post by ralph.ronnquist »

For me it said 13:32 when it was 15:13. I'm at +10 in real life. Though, on inspection, my settings says "no" to DST in effect, which also is wrong... that of course will change now and then as well, and I don't think I will bother to toggle it.

ticojohn

#4 Post by ticojohn »

HarDebiMan wrote::idea: Looks like a Costa Rica related issue, it's happening to me too. :(

People from any other country/area experiencing something similar :?:
I've seen posts indicating that users see the same issue in other locations. Can't imagine how it could be a Costa Rica thing. When I look at the NIST time server, my PC clock is synced to the second with NIST. And when I look at other sites that have a time indicator, I am right on with those sites.

roseway

#5 Post by roseway »

I would expect any publicly accessible servers to have their system clocks accurately controlled by NTP or a similar service, so it does seem that the server which hosts this forum has lost its time synchronisation and needs attention.
Eric

ticojohn

#6 Post by ticojohn »

roseway wrote:I would expect any publicly accessible servers to have their system clocks accurately controlled by NTP or a similar service, so it does seem that the server which hosts this forum has lost its time synchronisation and needs attention.
Unless, as someone suggested, the forum is running on a server in somebodies closet. :lol:

ticojohn

#7 Post by ticojohn »

It's even stranger than I thought. The current time displayed on the home page is different, by 6 hours, before and after login. And both those times are offset by about 11 minutes from the internet time, irrespective of whatever time zone the server is located. I wonder if they are using a different server, dependent on whether one is logged in or not. Quite puzzling to me.